• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision Zeiss SF side by side (1 Viewer)

OK, here goes. The cutaway in question can be found here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3191374&postcount=47

Starting at the ocular end. The first four lenses are the eyelens, the transfer lens (a cemented doublet here) and the field lens. Taken together these form what looks like a 4 element Konig eyepiece. That basic eyepiece is modified by the next two lenses, which are positioned between the eyepiece fieldstop and the prisms. They act like a Barlow or Smyth lens, effectively increasing the focal length of the objective and in this case are calculated to reduce the astigmatism and field curvature of the basic eyepiece. The basic eyepiece in the Zeiss SF appears to be a modified 6 element Erfle combined with a singlet ahead of the fieldstop. The use of a singlet rather than a doublet in that position probably explains the reports of edge corrections in the SF being inferior to the SV.

The next lens on the other side of the prisms is the focusing lens. In the SV it's negative (center is thinner than the edge). The focusing lens in the Zeiss SF is positive. A negative focuser increases the effective focal length of the fixed objective lenses up front, a positive focuser decreases the effective focal length. The fixed objective lenses up front in the SV form a triplet (cemented doublet air spaced from a singlet). In the Zeiss SF those lenses form a cemented doublet in a Steinheil arrangement with the negative lens first.

Henry;

Thank you so very much.

Now I at least think I understand what is going on.

Again, thank you.
Richard

Starting at the ocular end. The first four lenses are the eyelens, the transfer lens (a cemented doublet here) and the field lens. Taken together these form what looks like a 4 element Konig eyepiece. That basic eyepiece is modified by the next two lenses, which are positioned between the eyepiece fieldstop and the prisms. They act like a Barlow or Smyth lens, effectively increasing the focal length of the objective and in this case are calculated to reduce the astigmatism and field curvature of the basic eyepiece. The basic eyepiece in the Zeiss SF appears to be a modified 6 element Erfle combined with a singlet ahead of the fieldstop. The use of a singlet rather than a doublet in that position probably explains the reports of edge corrections in the SF being inferior to the SV.

The next lens on the other side of the prisms is the focusing lens. In the SV it's negative (center is thinner than the edge). The focusing lens in the Zeiss SF is positive. A negative focuser increases the effective focal length of the fixed objective lenses up front, a positive focuser decreases the effective focal length. The fixed objective lenses up front in the SV form a triplet (cemented doublet air spaced from a singlet). In the Zeiss SF those lenses form a cemented doublet in a Steinheil arrangement with the negative lens first.

Henry,
I have said it before and I will say it again your a optical God!!o:)

Thanks, Suppressor. I guess I'll take that as a vote of confidence, but really I'm just an obsessed hobbyist, a creature that surely falls a link or two below regular mortals in the great chain of being. ;)

Thanks, Suppressor. I guess I'll take that as a vote of confidence, but really I'm just an obsessed hobbyist, a creature that surely falls a link or two below regular mortals in the great chain of being. ;)

Ha! Well, whatever,but, Kimmo and your good self stand head and shoulders above the rest on bird forum when it comes to reviews and explaining optics in general and I thank you for it.

Now don't get to big headed with all this praise!!

suppressor.

This week I got the very first possibility to try as well Zeiss Victory SF and Swarovski Swarovision, and compare them side by side.
My personal impression of the difference between SF 8x42 and SV 8,5x42:

*The wider AFOV of SF is noticeable

*SV is the clear winner of edge sharpness, maybe center sharpness as well. Still SF is not bad in this respect: the blurriness at the very edges is hardly an issue if I don't intend to see it.

*The proclaimed positive weight balance of SF is true. This binocular feels remarkable easy to hold!

*In my eyes SF provides better ease of view, the eyecup edge of SV is a bit too high, I would like to come some mm closer. SF feels better and provides a more open view with eyeglasses than SV.

Conclusion: I find SV to be the winner of image quality(the image sharpness over the entire FOV is just amazing), but SF the binocular I likely had brought with me more often if I had both. This due to the better hold comfort and ease of view. When it comes to mechanical quality I agree with the opinions that SF get a bit cheaper feeling. SV provides a higher quality feeling.
I would hope that Swarovski offered lower edged eyecups as an option, this would make it even better for some eyeglasses users.
I didn't perceive rolling ball effect with any of these binos.

Last edited:

Henry,

Thanks for the excellent explanation.
Looking back at the photo's I saw that I didn't answer your question correctly.
The picture of the pre production sample is an 8.5x42 and the others are 10x42.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back