• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Social Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Chris in France

I took this picture in Mexico last December. I think it's a Social Flycatcher but would be grateful for confirmation of my ID. Thanks

Attachments

• Social Flycatcher, Xpu-Ha, Mexico.jpg
    Social Flycatcher, Xpu-Ha, Mexico.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 203
I think that the rufous edging on the wing and tail feathers rules out Social Flycatcher.
The only species I can think of in Mexico that it might be is Great Kiskadee though it is a bit difficult in this photo to make out the size of the bill.

I agree with Arthur... rufous edging in Mexico is Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus). Even though juv's of various other Tyrants have rufous edging this is - from my experiance - too extensive for that. While the angle obviously is a bit difficult, I still think it is possible note the longish bill, again pointing towards Great Kiskadee. Finally, note the yellow crown patch just peaking out. The crown patch is more reddish in Social.

Agree with the above. According to Howell & Web, Social Flycatcher has olive edgings on wings and tail in the adult; juvenile has rufous edgings, but lacks crown patch. Crown patch visible excludes the juvenile, in which case the rufous edges point to great kiskadee. I agree with Rasmus that the bill should have been shorter in Social, and culmen would probably have looked somewhat curved even in this angle.

cheers
Niels

Thanks to each of you for your helpful comments on my photo. Reading them and comparing Great Kiskadee and Social Flycatcher once again I can now see where I went wrong. Great Kiskadee it is! It's great that less experienced (and somewhat isolated) people like me can turn to you for help at times like this. Cheers, and thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back