• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp Nest In Bird Box?? (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Hi

I have been doing my annual clean of my bird boxes. I have three one was used by a pair of blue tits to raise a family. Of the other two one was empty and the other contains what looks like an insect nest of some kind.

I am glad it was of use to some wild life so I don't mind the occupant living there.

My first question is what is it??
Second question is is it still in use??
Third question is should I leave it or remove it?? Are the occupants still using it or will they ever return?? Will birds share with them next year??

I have attached pictures.

Thanks

Galileo

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 206
Hi Galileo,

I can't answer all your questions I'm afraid, but I can point you in the direction of where to find to hopefully the answers. Copy & paste the above text and place it on a new thread on the Insect board, along with the photos and ....with luck..!

A friend of mine had a beautiful Hornets nest in his a couple of years ago, they left at the end of the season.

Good luck in finding out.

Sue.

Hi,

It looks like a paper wasp nest. You should remove it, carefully, as it may still be in use. Try to do it in the coolest part of the day, which is when wasps are the least active.

I use dryer sheets in my nest boxes to deter wasps. They have worked well over the years. The birds don't seem to mind them at all.

John

Hi John

Thanks for the information. I think I will remove it this week in preparation for next years nesting season.

Regards

Galileo

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back