• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canary greenfinch cross? (1 Viewer)

nutsie81

Hi - I posted a picture here recently of a yellow and white bird which you all very kindly id'd as a greenfinch with perhaps an excessive yellow gene. Now, I am pleased to say there are some baby greenfinches on the scene and at least one (maybe two) have the same yellow and white markings only. The other ones seem to have normal colouration. Because not all of the babies have picked up this yellow I wondered if there was a cross with a canary somewhere (this was suggested). However, I know nothing of bird genetics so perhaps you could give me your ideas on whether it is caused by a genetic mutation or a cross breeding somewhere back along the line.
Here is a picture of one of the yellow babies.

Attachments

• Baby.JPG
    Baby.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 372
Yep,
and size and general structure of the bird show that it is a greenfinch. Canary would be slender looking with a smaller bill; and the hybrids CanaryXGreenfinch would not have the yellow greenfinch markings on the wing as clear as that bird. Probably both Greenfinch parents had the same recessive gene for that mutation.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back