• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

Thanks so much Nora... I hope you enjoyed your day yesterday.

Do you know... I really haven't counted. I didn't think to keep that record when I started LOL. I'll try and work it out when I've finished this report... even then I might miss some, especially the ones that didn't get photographed.

It's well over 100 already I'd think!

Hi Chris.

Yeah they sure were gorgeous. A lovely welcome home that LOL

The White-winged Choughs returned and I managed to get a picture showing the white patch on the wing.

I went back to the dam to see how it was filling, as water had been pouring down the hill during the downpour. Looking good!! It had even attracted a Sacred Kingfisher to the area.

Back in the garden a Blue-faced Honeyeater was in for a drink.

Talking a seat I spotted something fly in to some trees on the neighbour's property, which turned out to be a Black-faced Cuckooshrike.

Attachments

• BF White-winged Chough thread.jpg
    BF White-winged Chough thread.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 112
  • BF Waterhole thread.jpg
    BF Waterhole thread.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 101
  • BF Sacred Kingfisher thread.jpg
    BF Sacred Kingfisher thread.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 161
  • BF Blue-faced Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Blue-faced Honeyeater thread.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 146
  • BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 110
Just before the sun went down I was off out again round the property.

In the front garden were some Maned Ducks with some Sulphur-crested Cockatoos keeping them company.

To finish off the day I got some moths, as yet not properly identified. The white one could be a Footman species possibly, the middle one no idea and the last could perhaps be either of these maybe:

http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/moths/owl-moth-dasypodia-cymatoides.html

https://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/Southern-Old-Lady-Moth/Dasypodia/selenophora.html

Then finally Hans found this charming Australian Green Treefrog in one of the pot plants.

Edit: The third moth has been confirmed as a Southern Old Lady Moth by Nora. Many thanks.

Attachments

• BF Maned Duck and cockatoos.jpg
    BF Maned Duck and cockatoos.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 106
  • BF White Moth thread.jpg
    BF White Moth thread.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 110
  • BF Brown moth thread.jpg
    BF Brown moth thread.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Brown Moth with eyes thread.jpg
    BF Brown Moth with eyes thread.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Australian Green Tree-frog Litoria caerulea thread.jpg
    BF Australian Green Tree-frog Litoria caerulea thread.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Love the pictures today, Delia. Especially the kingfisher and the tilt of the head on the blue-faced honeyeater.

Gold Coast

13 October 2019

We were off early again the next morning, but not before catching a King Parrot in the garden!

I went down to open the gate and behind the neighbour's fence was a Kangaroo (Eastern Grey I think).

A juvenile Pied Butcherbird was in the trees a Noisy Miner with an odd lump of feathers on his neck, was pecking around on and under the tables of the kitchen block at the camp site, then a Laughing Kookaburra came and sat on the railings.

Attachments

• BF King Parrot thread.jpg
    BF King Parrot thread.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Kangaroo thread.jpg
    BF Kangaroo thread.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 86
  • BF Pied Butcherbird Juv thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird Juv thread.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Noisy Miner thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Miner thread.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 30
More great photos Delia, love the King Parrot and the Tree Frog, cheeky looking!
Third moth Delia, definitely:- Southern Old Lady Moth (Dasypodia selenophora) great photo that you have there!

Thanks Nora, and for the confirmation of that moth too.

Yeah... I was particularly fond of the King Parrot and the tree frog too.

On the ground below the verandah, while we were having lunch, was an Australian Magpie. When I went back to my cabin a tiny white butterfly with purplish wings was sitting on my step. It's not been fully identified for me yet, but probably a Lycaenid

Then we set off up the Austinville Valley, which was really quite beautiful. Then the first of my Lifers for the day with a gorgeous Eastern Yellow Robin (much higher up the tree than it appears in this picture). The last picture shows a termite mound, which were still fascinating to me.

Attachments

• BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 94
  • BF Tiny butterfly purplish wings thread.jpg
    BF Tiny butterfly purplish wings thread.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 114
  • BF Austinville Valley thread.jpg
    BF Austinville Valley thread.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 105
  • BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 118
  • BF Termite mound thread.jpg
    BF Termite mound thread.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 95
What a wonderful trip you are having Delia. Well done juggling 3 cameras! There are some very gorgeous birds that you have shared with us. Thank you very much. I have just read your whole thread, instead of finishing off sorting my last ZA trip!! Such enjoyable procrastination!

Thanks Lisa... yeah... Kookaburra beaks are rather impressive! You don't really want to mess with them LOL.

Thanks, too, Andy - I'm honoured LOL. I am home now (been back just over a month). But I've still got over a month of write-up to do. Some lovely people out there and beautiful birds too!

Oh and I wasn't that rich Andy.... just 2 cameras. I only tried juggling them for a day and a half, then found it too complicated LOL. The Nikon was doing me fine!!

On the way back down the valley I managed to get this rather large and attractive Wompoo Fruit Dove. (I'm now beginning to understand how difficult rainforest birding can be LOL

Lower down, beside a homestead farm Judy spotted a White-faced Heron on power lines, then suddenly managed a quick grab through the windscreen of an Australian Brushturkey before it disappeared into the bush.

Also seen/heard on that drive were Lewin's Honeyeater, Currawong, Eastern Whipbird (heard - again!), Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (noisily flying round the treetops) Galah, Torresian Crow, Cattle Egret; and Hans saw a Black-faced Cuckooshrike.

We were heading for Hinterland Park at Mudgeeraba, I discovered. Hopefully to see Glossy Black Cockatoos. However, a walk along the trail and we couldn't even hear one sadly.

So made for the picnic area for a cuppie and some of Judy's delicious cake while we planned our next move. I'd just lifted the cake and it was heading to my mouth when a Kookaburra flew over my shoulder, grabbed it and was gone!!! I never even knew it was there!!!

I was rewarded though, a few minutes later when we spotted a Spangled Drongo high in a tree. A couple of Australian Ibis were pecking around the area too.

Attachments

• BF Wompoo Fruit Dove thread.jpg
    BF Wompoo Fruit Dove thread.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 141
  • BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 90
  • BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 98
  • BF Spangled Drongo thread.jpg
    BF Spangled Drongo thread.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 131
  • BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 88
The last to be pecking around near the picnic area was a Pied Butcherbird.

Anyway, decision now made; heading for Carrara and Emerald Lakes. A few lakes here and a golf course too.

We did two, the first of which I'll call the Lily Pond. Rather an attractive one and the first bird to be seen was a Magpie-Goose on an island. There was another on top of a tree as well. A stunning Glossy Ibis was walking beside the reeds on the opposite bank. A Magpie-Lark almost at our feet in the mud, then a Little Black Cormorant on a post.

Attachments

• BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 94
  • BF Magpie Goose thread.jpg
    BF Magpie Goose thread.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 87
  • BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 101
  • BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 94
  • BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 84
Didn't you get the Wompoo photo,as I had improved it through Photoshop? A lot more colour than the one you have posted,which doesn't do the bird justice.

Hans

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back