• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Delightful!

Did you pop into Dunge for that juv Purp? Maybe you got soaked swimming La Manche?

Yay! Points! B :)
Now I'm gonna have to check every page of your thread to see if anyone's got more than me! Not happy! That's gonna take until September!:-C

Curse my competitive spirit!;)

just leaving you with these two before I'm off to Germany for a week (drinking holiday).

The rail was one of those where it might have been possible to make it a lot better, so I left it there, as I didn't want to make it a lot worse, the heron should have been left alone before I slapped all that white on the background - it really did look special before that.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 66
Still looks special, mate! Love them both and the sketchings are true smashers.
Enjoy the beer-drinking - a much underrated pisstime ;)

come back with some more!

just stood stock still at the heron drawing, each perfect line put me to shame with all I struggle to get and still don't reach this descriptive joy your line has....the paintings are the derryesque land I love to inhabit.

I love it when there's a burst of activity on this thread! It's all superb but the rail sketches are way beyond even that IMHO.

Have a great holiday, and try to behave! (On second thoughts....Don't!)

Mike

That Reed Squealer is a brilliant composition, and very true to the subject and its environs. The best portrayal of a Water Rail I have seen!

You're very cavalier about throwing these iD points about, young sir! It is funny though, isn't it - that, although we are viewing and appreciating art (sorry, that's 'Art') we just cannot let go of the birder instinct to id each flash of colour or curve of line - I do it all the time.
Nick's thread is particularly testing at times, because not only does he approach the bird from unconventional angles of view, he also interprets his subject with the inner eye - add to that some of the exotic (LSE, rollers, bee-eaters) and the obviously made-up (LSW!!!!!!) species which we are presented with and the unsuspecting could flounder.
My thread's a piece of pee - there are either eiders or skuas - period. :-O

Thats sooo on the money Tim, very good post, and inspirational work young Nick always a pleasure to view.

Helllloooooo again, forgive my absence, I spent a rather pleasant week swilling beer and eating all the finest crap that Aldi and Lidl had to offer with a friend in Germany, then I had a rather exhausting week at a friends' wedding in the South of Italy. Not a birdwatching holiday, I still took the bins and sketchbook and saw a few nice things - including this rather fetching Hoopoe mosaic at Pompeii, which inspired me more than a little bit, also this Rock Bunting at the top of Vesuvius was just screaming to be done colourfully and boldly. (Even if the sod wasn't as bold as to stay in sight for more than three seconds).

Back to teaching tomorrow - bah!

Attachments

• hoopoe paintings 006.JPG
    hoopoe paintings 006.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 48
  • hoopoe paintings 008.JPG
    hoopoe paintings 008.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 64
  • hoopoe paintings 007.JPG
    hoopoe paintings 007.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 68
  • hoopoe paintings 009.JPG
    hoopoe paintings 009.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 49
Great work, Nick! I looked through the last couple pages of this thread, and your sketches are excellent - and love the style of the watercolors.

Up(upa epops) Pompeii!

Couldn't resist! Welcome back drifter!

Great Postcards!

Colourful impossible adorable blasts from a Volcanic Talent!

Phil says it well, and with the proper exuberance! I get a real kick out of the mosaic. View number three is terrific. My first reaction, which was a real surprise to me, was Tiepolo. I think it's the upward viewpoint and the light, airy atmosphere, like a previously undiscovered 'Ascension of the Hoopoe.' With or without Tiepolo though it's really a very strong work. Full of light, great design, movement and of course the bird itself in the starring role.

Phil says it well, and with the proper exuberance! I get a real kick out of the mosaic. View number three is terrific. My first reaction, which was a real surprise to me, was Tiepolo. I think it's the upward viewpoint and the light, airy atmosphere, like a previously undiscovered 'Ascension of the Hoopoe.' With or without Tiepolo though it's really a very strong work. Full of light, great design, movement and of course the bird itself in the starring role.

As i'm a bit of an ignoramus...i just googled 'Tiepolo'.....and your right....:cat:

ps...we seem to be getting some great hoopoe stuff of late...Tim's hoopoe's were incredible.....! Marvelous to see such individual talents...[and as always a treat for the eye's....amongst other things]....:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back