• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scolopaci (1 Viewer)

There appears to be a wordpigs in the paper, just prior to the Discussion section, where the word salad 'elanosemipalmatus' appears. I would venture that the 'elano' part is an unintended copy of a snippet from the preceding word 'melanoleuca' and that the 'semipalmatus' part actually was intended to refer to Willet, T. semipalmata, as the final sentences in the paper indicate (where an 'a' is omitted from the end of menoleuc!)

I've asked the lead author for a copy of the Figure S1.

This paper would appear to put the final nail in the coffin of Ereneutes as a full genus?
MJB

Last edited:
Thanks for asking! Was just going to ask where Table S1 / Figure S1 was! :t:

The link to S1 on the paper was inoperative in the ResearchGate copy.

I've drafted out the 6 Calidris and 3 Tringa clades on assumptions from the narrative, but S1 may change that. Only Nordmann's Greenshank T. guttifer was not sampled, as far as I can see.
MJB

Last edited:
In fact, it looks like T&F may have "forgotten" about the supplemental files... Usually, supplements are available from their website, as e.g. in [this article] (in the same journal and from the same first author). But, [in the present case], there is nothing to be found...

In my experience (formed in part from analysing exactly the same data), most of the relationships within Calidris have extremely low support when they are reconstructed using cox1 only.
(Nodes that cox1 supports strongly include [surfbird + knot + great knot]; [dunlin + (rock + purple)]; and [semi-p + western]. And also [red-necked + spoon-billed] -- but I don't think Huang & Tu will have recovered this one, as they don't appear to have included species that were universally placed outside Calidris until recently. The rest is mostly unstable.)

Leg fractures in the wild

Jessica Reichert, Gerald Mayr, Thomas Wilke and Winfried S. Peters, 2017

Waders (Scolopacidae) surviving despite malaligned leg fractures in the wild: kinematics of bipedal locomotion

Avian Research
Reichert et al. Avian Res (2017) 8:23
DOI 10.1186/s40657-017-0082-5

Abstract
Background: Bone fracture frequencies and survival rates are essential parameters in skeleton evolution, but information on the functional consequences of naturally healed fractures is scarce. No leg bone fracture healing in the wild has been reported so far from long-legged Charadriiformes (waders), which depend on bipedal locomotion for feeding.
Methods: We documented a healed but malaligned tarsometatarsus fracture in a wild Willet (Tringa [Catoptrophorus] semipalmata), and a malaligned tibiotarsus fracture in a Curlew (Numenius arquata) skeleton from a museum collection. Functional consequences of the malalignments were evaluated by kinematic analyses of videos (Willet) and in silico 3D modeling (Curlew).
Results: The Willet’s left tarsometatarsus exhibited an angular malalignment of 70°, resulting in a limping gait that was less pronounced at high than at low walking speed. The bird seemed unable to club the toes of the left foot together, apparently a secondary effect of the deformity. The Curlew’s tibiotarsus showed an angular and an axial malalignment, causing the foot to rotate outwards when the intertarsal joint was flexed. Despite the severe effects of their injuries, the birds had survived at least long enough for the fractures to heal completely.
Conclusions: Somewhat unexpectedly, leg fractures are not necessarily fatal in long-legged waders, even if deformities occur in the healing process. Bipedal locomotion on vegetated grounds must have been impeded due to the bone malalignments in both analyzed cases. The birds probably alleviated the impact of their handicaps by shifting a larger proportion of their activities to vegetation-free habitats.
Keywords: 3D modeling, Bone fracture healing, Tringa (Catoptrophorus) semipalmata, Kinematic gait analysis, Long
bone malalignment, Numenius arquata, Scolopacidae

Free pdf: https://avianres.biomedcentral.com/...57-017-0082-5?site=avianres.biomedcentral.com

Enjoy,

Fred

Jessica Reichert, Gerald Mayr, Thomas Wilke and Winfried S. Peters, 2017

Waders (Scolopacidae) surviving despite malaligned leg fractures in the wild: kinematics of bipedal locomotion

Avian Research
Reichert et al. Avian Res (2017) 8:23
DOI 10.1186/s40657-017-0082-5

Abstract
Background: Bone fracture frequencies and survival rates are essential parameters in skeleton evolution, but information on the functional consequences of naturally healed fractures is scarce. No leg bone fracture healing in the wild has been reported so far from long-legged Charadriiformes (waders), which depend on bipedal locomotion for feeding.
Methods: We documented a healed but malaligned tarsometatarsus fracture in a wild Willet (Tringa [Catoptrophorus] semipalmata), and a malaligned tibiotarsus fracture in a Curlew (Numenius arquata) skeleton from a museum collection. Functional consequences of the malalignments were evaluated by kinematic analyses of videos (Willet) and in silico 3D modeling (Curlew).
Results: The Willet’s left tarsometatarsus exhibited an angular malalignment of 70°, resulting in a limping gait that was less pronounced at high than at low walking speed. The bird seemed unable to club the toes of the left foot together, apparently a secondary effect of the deformity. The Curlew’s tibiotarsus showed an angular and an axial malalignment, causing the foot to rotate outwards when the intertarsal joint was flexed. Despite the severe effects of their injuries, the birds had survived at least long enough for the fractures to heal completely.
Conclusions: Somewhat unexpectedly, leg fractures are not necessarily fatal in long-legged waders, even if deformities occur in the healing process. Bipedal locomotion on vegetated grounds must have been impeded due to the bone malalignments in both analyzed cases. The birds probably alleviated the impact of their handicaps by shifting a larger proportion of their activities to vegetation-free habitats.
Keywords: 3D modeling, Bone fracture healing, Tringa (Catoptrophorus) semipalmata, Kinematic gait analysis, Long
bone malalignment, Numenius arquata, Scolopacidae

Free pdf: https://avianres.biomedcentral.com/...57-017-0082-5?site=avianres.biomedcentral.com

Enjoy,

Fred

Anecdotally, I've noticed several godwits, both Hudsonian and Marbled, with broken or nonfunctional legs time and again over the years. Its been curious to me why I've seen so much leg injury in those species but not others - maybe there is something in common about all these big sturdy shorebirds. Not taxonomic per se, but very interesting.

Phalaropus lobatus

Liu, W., Hu, C., Xie, W. et al. The mitochondrial genome of red-necked phalarope Phalaropus lobatus (Charadriiformes: Scolopacidae) and phylogeny analysis among Scolopacidae. Genes Genom (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13258-017-0632-6

Abstract:

The red-necked phalarope is a wonderful species with specific morphological characters and lifestyles. Mitochondrial genomes, encoding necessary proteins involved in the system of energy metabolism, are important for the evolution and adaption of species. In this study, we determined the complete mitogenome sequence of Phalaropus lobatus (Charadriiformes: Scolopacidae). The circular genome is 16714 bp in size, containing 13 PCGs, two ribosomal RNAs and 22 tRNAs and a high AT-rich control region. The AT skew and GC skew of major strand is positive and negative respectively. Most of PCGs are biased towards A-rich except ND1. A codon usage analysis shows that 3 start codons (ATG, GTG and ATA), 4 stop codons (TAA, TAG, AGG, AGA) and two incomplete terminate codons (T–). Twenty two transfer RNAs have the typical cloverleaf structure, and a total of ten base pairs are mismatched throughout the nine tRNA genes. The phylogenetic tree based on 13 PCGs and 2 rRNA genes indicates that monophyly of the family and genus Phalaropus is close to genus Xenus plus Tringa. The analysis of selective pressure shows 13 protein-coding genes are evolving under the purifying selection and P. lobatus is different from other Scolopacidae species on the selective pressure of gene ND4. This study helps us know the inherent mechanism of mitochondrial structure and natural selection.

full pdf here

Numenius tenuirostris

Sharko FS, Boulygina ES, Rastorguev SM, Tsygankova SV, Tomkovich PS, Nedoluzhko AV. Phylogenetic position of the presumably extinct slender-billed curlew, Numenius tenuirostris. Mitoch. DNA A: in press.
[abstract & free supp.info.] [free pdf here]
[sequence] (Not yet released.)

Abstract

The high-capacity DNA analysis of museum samples opens new opportunities, associated with the investigation of extinct species evolution. Here, the complete mitochondrial genome of the presumably extinct bird species, the slender-billed curlew Numenius tenuirostris (Charadriiformes: Scolopacidae) is presented. Our results showed that mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is 16,705 base pairs (bp) in length and contain 13 protein-coding genes, two rRNA genes, and 22 tRNA genes. The overall base composition of the genome is 30.8% – A, 29.8% – C, 25.4% – T, 14.0% – G, and without a significant GC bias of 43.7%. Phylogenetic analyses based on the cytochrome B (cytB) gene and the whole mtDNA sequences revealed that N. tenuirostris had a close genetic relationship to Eurasian curlew (N. arquata), Far Eastern curlew (N. madagascariensis), and long-billed curlew – N. americanus. Besides, it reveals that Numenius genus is genetically distant from other Scolopacidae taxons. Together, these results provide a clear genetic perspective into the speciation process among the curlew genus members and points to a clear taxonomic position of N. tenuirostris.

Keywords: Extinction, historical DNA, Scolopacidae, mitochondrial genome, museum specimen

Last edited:
Gallinago magellanica, G. paraguaiae

Proposal (843) to SACC

Split Gallinago magellanica from G. paraguaiae and establish English names for both species

References

Miller, E. H., J. I. Areta, A. Jaramillo, S. Imberti, and R. Matus (2019). Snipe taxonomy based on vocal and non-vocal sound displays: the South American Snipe is two species. Ibis: https://doi.org/10.1111/ibi.12795

Abstract:

We analyzed breeding sounds of the two subspecies of South American Snipe Gallinago p. paraguaiae and G. p. magellanica to determine whether they may be different species: loud vocalizations given on the ground, and the tail‐generated Winnow given in aerial display. Sounds of the two taxa differ qualitatively and quantitatively. Both taxa utter two types of ground call. In paraguaiae, the calls are bouts of identical sound elements repeated rhythmically and slowly (about 5 elements per sec [Hz]) or rapidly (about 11 Hz). One call of magellanica is qualitatively similar to those of paraguaiae but sound elements are repeated more slowly (about 3 Hz). However its other call type differs strikingly: it is a bout of rhythmically repeated sound couplets, each containing two kinds of sound element. The Winnow of paraguaiae is a series of sound elements that gradually increase in duration and energy; that of magellanica has two+ kinds of sound element that roughly alternate and are repeated as sets, imparting a stuttering quality. Sounds of the related Puna Snipe (G. andina) resemble but differ quantitatively from those of paraguaiae. Differences in breeding sounds of G. p. paraguaiae and G. p. magellanica are strong and hold throughout their geographic range. Therefore we suggest that the two taxa be considered as different species: G. paraguaiae east of the Andes in much of South America except Patagonia, and G. magellanica in central and southern Chile, Argentina east of the Andes across Patagonia, and Falklands/Malvinas.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I did some looking into where the break between magellanica and paraguaiae occurs in Argentina. I don't yet have access to the paper, but looking at records and recordings and the biogeographic boundaries, it seems to be:

In all of Chile, and all of Argentine Patagonia, up to and including the provinces of Rio Negro and Neuquen, you have magellanica. I believe magellanica continues up along the base of the Andes are far north as the city of Mendoza, more or less.

East of the Andes from Colombia and Venezuela south to the southernmost extent of the Chaco and Pampa biomes in Argentina, you have paraguaiae. IE, the provinces of Cordoba, Santa Fe, Entre Rios, and at least most of Buenos Aires province, should all be paraguaiae.

Thus the break between the two looks to be the division of the moister/warmer chaco and pampa from the patagonian steppe / monte, which occurs roughly along a line drawn between the cities of Mendoza and Bahia Blanca.

I am not certain where exactly the break occurs along the Atlantic coast. I believe birds in N Buenos Aires province, at least in breeding season, should safely be paraguaiae. But around Bahia Blanca, I am not certain.

If anyone sees errors with this please do correct me - I'm not purporting to be an expert on the matter, I was just curious and spent an hour or so poking around ML, XC, and eBird looking at substantiated records and seeing what I could figure out.

I think Paraguayan Snipe is fine and agree largely with Alvaro's logic in the comments. It would be nice, in some ways, to retain South American Snipe for stability despite the "rename daughters of splits" rule, but I don't see that it really can be retained - despite the enormous range of paraguaiae vs magellanica, magellanica may well be the more commonly observed species. If it's not more commonly observed, it's at least about equal. This is really different from, for instance, the Russet Antshrike split where one of the daughters of the split accounts for 95% or so of observations!

Prosobonia cancellata

Justin J. F. J. Jansen, Alice Cibois. Clarifying the morphology of the enigmatic Kiritimati Sandpiper Prosobonia cancellata (J. F. Gmelin, 1785), based on a review of the contemporary data. Bulletin of the British Ornithologists’ Club, 140(2):142-146 (2020). https://doi.org/10.25226/bboc.v140i2.2020.a4

Abstract:

The extinct Kiritimati Sandpiper Prosobonia cancellata is known from a single contemporaneous illustration by William Wade Ellis and a description by William Anderson. We reproduce Ellis' illustration for the first time, and we consider the illustration as almost in line with Anderson's description. Further, using both Anderson's work and Ellis' illustration, we prepared a description of the bird to replace Latham's interpretation of the depiction. Finally, we show that Kiritimati Sandpiper possessed several unique morphological characters.

[full article]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back