• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subalp Warbler, Algarve, Portugal - March 2020 (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Found this looker (allowing for lack of face feathers of course!) at Lagao dos Salgados on 20th March. The underpart colouring is the only thing just niggling at my mind....don't have enough experience of Western Subalp vs Moltoni's and a (admittedly brief) net search didn't really clear it up much. Thoughts?

Portugal 2020 (1125) (Large).jpg Portugal 2020 (1129) (Large).jpg

Found this looker (allowing for lack of face feathers of course!) at Lagao dos Salgados on 20th March. The underpart colouring is the only thing just niggling at my mind....don't have enough experience of Western Subalp vs Moltoni's and a (admittedly brief) net search didn't really clear it up much. Thoughts?

View attachment 726038 View attachment 726039

Adam,
Here's the map from Zuccon et al 2020 who further revise Subalpine Warbler taxonomy. I've added the English and their scientific names for the populations to it, but in the same colours they used for the specimen locations. I've also added a brief supporting explanation in black font. I hope this helps!
MJB

Attachments

• 2020 Subalpine Warbler map Zuccon et al_edited01.jpg
    2020 Subalpine Warbler map Zuccon et al_edited01.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Those pale edges to the underparts feathers should abrade relatively quickly and the colour will look more uniform and intense. It seems to be a 2nd cal year male (which would contribute to the less intense tones), but hard to judge from these photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back