• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple-throated Mountain Gem ?? (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi all, while trawling through my holiday photos I found another Hummingbird which I saw and managed to take some VERY bad photos of :) ... I understand that the photos are really not great so if this does not allow for an ID, I understand ... but let's try anyway :)

I think this is a PURPLE-THROATED MOUNTAIN GEM although the obvious feature is obscured - hence I have made some notes on the photos - A being a female and B being (I assume) a young male?

Photos were taken in Boquete, Panama on the Pipeline Trail at an elevation of approx 4000ft

Any comments will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Purple-throated Mountain Gem.jpg
    Purple-throated Mountain Gem.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 48
Dunno if you can rule out white-throated mountain-gem? Both recorded from the area. Don't think we can see the important id features.

Dunno if you can rule out white-throated mountain-gem? Both recorded from the area. Don't think we can see the important id features.

Oh, I see what you mean now ... my book did not illustrate the female of the WTMG so I did not realize how very similar they are :(

The only other possible photo that may be of use is completely out-of-focus on the male but does show a pale throat (so maybe white?)... not sure what the purple would like like in the same conditions so may still not be conclusive.

Here it is anyway ....

Attachments

• Purple-throated Mountain Gem 02.jpg
    Purple-throated Mountain Gem 02.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 7
I think Mountain-gem is OK. I cannot go further.

Ebird shows white-throated to be much more common. The old Ridgely FG mentions that there are occasional Purple-throated males that belong to the White-throated species. I am not sure if that is still believed to be true.

From https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/wtmgem1/appearance
In western Chiriquí, in Panama, female White-throated (subspecies castaneoventris ) is somewhat paler than female Purple-throated. Also, in female Purple-throated the upperparts are more bluish green and the central rectrices are darker bronze green; the tail looks paler in White-throated compared to Purple-throated, as the white tipping on the outer rectrices is more extensive and the bluish black subterminal band is narrower in White-throated.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back