• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull sp Rainham RSPB, 10/02/08 (1 Viewer)

James Hunter

Saw this gull at Rainham on Sunday. I have an idea what I think it is, what do others think?

RS

Attachments

• DSCN2488-01-web.jpg
    DSCN2488-01-web.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 305
Cheers for the replies - that was my conclusion as well. Now, was anyone out there at Rainham on Sunday and saw the 2nd w Glaucous gull that was reported?? Be interested to hear, especially if you have any photos......

Regards,

RS

Had a very similar experience at Blackborough End Tip in Norfolk on 02/02/08 - picked up a large white-winged immature gull, and came to the conclusion that it was a leucistic Herring, based mainly on structure being wrong for Iceland and also bill not right for Glaucous. Looked near identical to the bird in your photo, as a matter of fact.

Subsequent reports of 1st winter and 2nd winter Glaucous from the same site had me wondering whether I'd been too hasty, or whether someone else had been in their ID. Have since seen a picture of the 1st winter Glaucous at Blackborough and it's definitely a different bird to that which I saw, and is definitely a Glaucous. Not sure about the 2nd winter report though.

I agree that this is a leucistic gull, but can Great Black-backed be easily dismissed as a candidate? Something about the feel of the bird suggests that species.

Hi there

My understanding is that two different Glaucs, both 2nd winter, were reported over the weekend (I didn't see either).

There are some photos of a different bird here: http://www.elbf.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails/2008/birdphotos2008c.htm

Although the photos aren't the greatest, my impression is that this isn't a pure Glauc either.

FWIW, I agree with Harry that GBB looks plausible for the other bird, though no way of judging size.

Cheers for the replies - that was my conclusion as well. Now, was anyone out there at Rainham on Sunday and saw the 2nd w Glaucous gull that was reported?? Be interested to hear, especially if you have any photos......

Regards,

RS

Hi David, I saw the Saturday bird at Rainham (the one in Jonathan Wasse's pix in your link) and also felt it was probably a hybrid. Quite extensive dark markings on the outer webs of the primaries on the closed wing which I thought were outside the range of pure glauc. But it seems there was also an obvious glaucous there on Sunday, which I didn't see.

Sean Huggins

Hi David, I saw the Saturday bird at Rainham (the one in Jonathan Wasse's pix in your link) and also felt it was probably a hybrid. Quite extensive dark markings on the outer webs of the primaries on the closed wing which I thought were outside the range of pure glauc. But it seems there was also an obvious glaucous there on Sunday, which I didn't see.

Sean Huggins

Cheers Sean - do you know who saw the 'obvious' bird, and whether it could conceivably have been the leucistic bird shown above?

Cheers Sean - do you know who saw the 'obvious' bird, and whether it could conceivably have been the leucistic bird shown above?

Don't know, there are a couple of names on the ELBF sightings page for Sunday but it's not clear if they refer to the 'paler' glauc or just the long-staying Iceland gull. Howard didn't see it. I got the impression 'paler' was in comparison to Saturday's darkish bird, rather than a suggestion of leucism.
Sean

Last edited:
David/Sean - cheers for the replies and Dave for the link - a very different looking bird from mine. FWIW one of my mates reckons LBBG could be a possibility for the bird I posted above - it certainly causes a lot of head scratching, but I'm sure I'll be back down there this weekend at some point.

Thanks again,

James

Website here - retro birding, birding within 10 miles of Dartford and recent Wallcreeper twitch all recent updates:http://www.freewebs.com/jameshunter2/index.htm

Here's another one plus a BHG that's been at Beddington recently.

Attachments

• Leucistic HG 13.2.8a.jpg
    Leucistic HG 13.2.8a.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 64
  • BHG white 6.2.8.jpg
    BHG white 6.2.8.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 69
This bird last year was seen later that day at distance on a reservoir and mistaken for Iceland Gull.

Attachments

• Herring Gull WP.JPG
    Herring Gull WP.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 93
I agree that this is a leucistic gull, but can Great Black-backed be easily dismissed as a candidate? Something about the feel of the bird suggests that species.

I'd have to agree with Harry. This bird 'feels' much more like GBBGull than Herring with that head shape. Looks a big bird too!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back