• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A spot of birding. (1 Viewer)

Ant

North Wales birder
Hi all

I went into college today to sort a few things out.

Anyway, I had planned to go and see if I could see the local peregrines after college, however the weather did not look too good.

On the way however I allowed myself at least 10 minutes to check out a flooded field that I have seen on the bus many times, which is only a 100 metres off my route to college.

I knew that there was a footpath off a small industrial estate that would take me close to the fields.

On the water was a coot, with possibly another in the distance or a moorhen, I could not tell as I only had my camera. A drake mallard was out in the open, and I found one or 2 duck mallard with ducklings by some trees, I never got a clear view so I was unable to see the exact numbers. Flying over the water where House martins and swallows, with tits in the bushes. The occasional magpie was around, around along with jackdaws, and woodpigeon. I was surprised to see 2 drake tufted ducks an one duck tufted duck, but it was the small flock of lapwings that caught my attention most.

I then moved round to a carpark by the local volkswagen dealer, where I could get clear views of the entire area. It was clear that with all the dry weather we've had recently a lot of the water had dried up as there was no sgin of the mute swan pair, they must of dediced to move on due to the reduced ammount of water. I don't know If they had a next here, but if they had eggs and/or cygnets they have most likely been abandoned, but then that is the risk of such a large waterbird breeding on a area that is mostly filled by rainwater, hopfully if their is enough rain to get the waterlevel up they will return.

Take care,

Attachments

• Lapwings1.jpg
    Lapwings1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 51
  • lapwings3.jpg
    lapwings3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 49
  • mallard.jpg
    mallard.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 49
  • tufty1.jpg
    tufty1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 44
  • tufty2.jpg
    tufty2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi Ant

'Flash' pools like this can often attract rarer birds so are always worth a good look.

What you descibe with the Mallards possibly leaving highlights just how dependant birds can be on weather conditions. The Sand Martin nests shown in Springwatch last week which were flooded out when the rive rrose spings to mind. Goos that the birds keep at it though.

take care

I see the Mallards have changed to Mute Swans or was i dreaming that???

Last edited:
brianfm said:
Hi Ant

'Flash' pools like this can often attract rarer birds so are always worth a good look.

What you descibe with the Mallards possibly leaving highlights just how dependant birds can be on weather conditions. The Sand Martin nests shown in Springwatch last week which were flooded out when the rive rrose spings to mind. Goos that the birds keep at it though.

take care

Opps |:$| I ment mute swans not mallard.

An embarrassed Ant :'D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back