• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Thanks Ken... really those parrots were gorgeous. So lovely to see them.

Finally the Cockatiels settled and came in for a drink... think I got them all in the frame LOL The Spotted Bowerbird, though, finally left and I just managed to catch him in flight. Both Masked Woodswallows sat on branches on the tree on the opposite side of the dam, this is a picture of the female.

Following this we tried the Airport Road again, but only saw one Australian Pipit, which I didn't get a picture of. Then we linked onto the Eastern Loop Road. Hans was pretty sure there was Hall's Babbler (distant and in the shade); a place where they'd seen them before. No picture and I'm not counting it on my list as I couldn't see it too well.

Hooded Robin and Rufous Songlark were also seen on this stretch.

Attachments

• BF Cockatiels thread.jpg
    BF Cockatiels thread.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 117
  • BF Spotted Bowerbird flight.jpg
    BF Spotted Bowerbird flight.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 120
  • BF Masked Woodswallow female thread.jpg
    BF Masked Woodswallow female thread.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 114
  • BF Hooded Robin thread.jpg
    BF Hooded Robin thread.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 111
  • BF Rufous Songlark thread.jpg
    BF Rufous Songlark thread.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 115
My wife loves to remind me of the old proverb:

"Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, never found in man."!

Chris (who can't wait either!)

The only response to that is the fight fire with fire:

“Patience is a virtue.
Virtue is a grace.
Grace was a little girl
Who never washed her face!”

Cheers
Mike

Your pix are getting better and better Delia - and well done on the Bourke’s Parrots and the Crimson Chat!

Cheers
Mike

To put a few myths to rest.
Snakes.
99% of what you hear is simply ignorance, superstition and old wives tails. Australian snakes do NOT see you as their next meal. If you provoke the snake then it will attempt to defend itself. All one has to do is give the animal it's space and it will leave you alone.
A TV documentary that did the rounds about 15 years ago (Australia's Most Dangerous) was grossly misleading. Just because the Taipan has a very toxic venom doesn't necessarily make it the most dangerous. There are plenty of snakes in the world that are considered to be more dangerous. The red bellied black snake is potentially dangerous but it is a relatively docile.

Your Cone shell is a common shell often found at low tide on sand or mud flats. There are other cone shells found in tropical waters through out the world that are dangerous IF you pick them up.

The common sense approach is wear appropriate enclosed footwear and loose fitting long trousers.

Dougt (born and bred in Australia 76 years ago)

Thanks all for your lovely comments.

LOL Mike I loved that wee ditty... think I remember that one from my rather dim and distant past!!

Continuing along the Eastern Loop and gradually making our way back to the Homestead we happened upon a Pied Butcherbird, then a Black Kite was seen flying high.

Almost back at the Homestead, there was a little group of Galahs and nearby an Australian Ringneck. Red-kneed Dotterel on the dam finished off the morning.

Also seen on that loop, but not photographed, were Red-capped Robin, Whistling Kite and Nankeen Kestrel.

Attachments

• BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 109
  • BF Black Kite  flight thread.jpg
    BF Black Kite flight thread.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 131
  • BF Galah thread.jpg
    BF Galah thread.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 110
  • BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 111
  • BF Red-kneed Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Red-kneed Dotterel thread.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 108
Saw Pits

The afternoon saw us heading out to Saw Pits a dam in the middle of nowhere.

We'd hardly left the homestead grounds when we spotted a female White-browed Woodswallow and shortly after a Mulga Parrot.

Arriving at Saw Pits the first bird to come into view was an Australian Grebe. Then on the far side Hans picked out for me some Black-tailed Nativehens - in the shade of course! (I was to get better pictures at a later date).

The last picture shows the right hand end of the Pit, the Nativehens were on the far bank where the trees are at the water's edge (if that makes sense)

Attachments

• BF White-browed Woodswallow female thread.jpg
    BF White-browed Woodswallow female thread.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 115
  • BF Mulga Parrot thread.jpg
    BF Mulga Parrot thread.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 147
  • BF Australian Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Australian Grebe thread.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 107
  • BF Black-tailed Nativehen thread.jpg
    BF Black-tailed Nativehen thread.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 147
  • BF Saw Pit thread.jpg
    BF Saw Pit thread.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 153
Thanks very much Hans; the Bourke's were gorgeous, weren't they.

Over by the Black-tailed Nativehens were some rather sleepy Grey Teal.

Driving along the tracks round-about, Hans spotted movement in the undergrowth and identified it as a Southern Whiteface. What a job I had to get a picture of him!!! How he saw him in the first place, I've no idea LOL

We'd now got ourselves to the road leading to the entrance gate and found a dark morph Brown Falcon sitting in a tree near the road. Then a family of Emus were feeding but decided to get back into hiding when they saw us.

Also seen in this area were some Grey-crowned Babblers but, try as I might, I just couldn't get a picture of them. They were quite mobile and kept very much to the shade, making it difficult for my camera to focus on them.

Back at the Homestead dam, was a rather handsome White-faced Heron.

Attachments

• BF Grey Teal thread.jpg
    BF Grey Teal thread.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 100
  • BF Southern Whiteface thread.jpg
    BF Southern Whiteface thread.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 175
  • BF Brown Falcon thread.jpg
    BF Brown Falcon thread.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 126
  • BF Emu Family thread.jpg
    BF Emu Family thread.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 111
  • BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 102
Bowra Finale

A Pied Stilt was feeding with a youngster very close to him. Magpie-Lark and Dotterel were also around.

The last picture shows the bottom part of the dam close to the accommodation block.

And this brings to an end five days of a wonderful stay at this remarkable reserve.

We were off at the crack of dawn the next day to do the whole journey back in one go. Unfortunately I've lost the folder for that day. Some rather nice pictures were on it sadly, which included (not that great) pictures of my first Wedge-tailed Eagle. There was snow on the road as we skirted the Bunya Mountains would you believe!!!

Attachments

• BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 89
  • BF Pied Stilt juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Pied Stilt juvenile thread.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 94
  • BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 90
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 84
  • BF Homestead dam thread.jpg
    BF Homestead dam thread.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 113
LOL Ken... Judy didn't believe it either, until Hans got out the car and picked some up.

I thought he was going to wash her face with it:-O

Taromeo

12 October 2019

As we drove back home it became obvious that it had been raining with some puddles lying at the side of the road.

Hans was delighted to see some water in his dam at long last, not a lot, but some!!

We were all very tired after the long drive so didn't hang around long before heading to bed.

Pretty early in the morning Hans called me through saying there were King Parrots in the garden - what beauties they are. Had to take this picture through the kitchen window so as not to scare them off.

It had poured with rain most of the night and was still raining!! Very welcome.

Also coming in at that time were some Sulphur-breasted Cockatoos. A Pied Currawong was supervising proceedings from a high point. Then Galahs and Rainbow Lorikeets came in together. It was still raining.

An hour later it just threw it down for about half an hour, as you can see in my last picture. Gosh it knows how to rain out there.

From memory I think Hans said he'd measured 63mm of rain since we got back! Water was now pouring down the hill into his dam.

Attachments

• BF King Parrot thread.jpg
    BF King Parrot thread.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 156
  • BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 94
  • BF Pied Currawong thread.jpg
    BF Pied Currawong thread.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 141
  • BF Galah and Rainbow Lorikeet thread.jpg
    BF Galah and Rainbow Lorikeet thread.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Rain in Taromeo thread.jpg
    BF Rain in Taromeo thread.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 114
The rain was easing off so I went out to see how the dam was doing. A Magpie-Lark seemed to be really enjoying the novelty of taking a shower!

Back in the garden a Double-barred Finch was glad to see some feed out for them at last. A Brown Honeyeater came down for a drink, then the Superb Fairywrens emerged from shelter in the shrubs.

Attachments

• BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 112
  • BF Double-barred Finch thread.jpg
    BF Double-barred Finch thread.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 113
  • BF Brown Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Brown Honeyeater thread.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 96
  • BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 100
  • BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back