• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Badgers in Cheshhire (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I've only ever seen two Badgers in Cheshire before - One alive and one dead. Today I saw no less than 4 dead on the road in a 20 mile stretch between Congleton and the M56!

Its a terrible things to see them dead, but at least there must be a healthy population!

Jane
My parents live in Somerset - theres a theory that the badgers get shot and then are dumped on the road to look like roadkill.

Theres loads on the A55 going in to North Wales and a healthy population around Mold.

Jane,

There was one on the hard shoulder of the eastbound carriageway of the 56 between the M53 and the M6 today. Don't know if that is in your numbers or not.

Stephen.

Jane,

Travelling down the A14 today between St. Ives and Cambridge I saw a dead badger on the central reservation.... it was a very sad sight.
He must have been a full grown male...quite the largest badger I've seen...sad.
I suppose at this time of year they feel the urge to go walkabout and to try and meet other badgers...
Don't know what else to add really....

Dave.

Hi Jane. I took a trip to Bodnant Gardens today and on the A55 between, just before Northop and St Asaph I counted 8 dead Badgers. On the return journey I counted another 3 dead Badgers. 4 of them looked like youngsters, 5 others were full grown and the other 2 were old corpses and rather scattered. This seems to be a high mortality which could mean that there are plenty of Badgers in the area.
Other casualties were, 5 Hedgehogs, 13 Phesants, 2 Hares, 3 Rabbits, 3 Cats, I seagull, 3 Woodpigeon, 1 young Magpie and a Blackbird. 5 Others were unknown.
I was surprised that there were no Foxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back