• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlas Optics Intrepid from Eagle Optics (1 Viewer)

Atlas Intrepid ED 8x42 In Stock : Eagle Optics

HI... Folks, just caught the buz on the new line at EO. I was going to order the Zen-Ray ED but I decided to deal with Eagle Optics this time. I have the New Zen-Ray 2009 8x42 Summit so I thought I would see how much better the Atlas ED could be. For $350, could not resist. Just placed order, online instock. If anyone is interested I will compare these to my new vortex ED's & repost later.

I have the New Zen-Ray 2009 8x42 Summit so I thought I would see how much better the Atlas ED could be. For $350, could not resist.

Well there's an apples to oranges comparison.

I broke down and have an 8x42 Intrepid on the way. I will compare to the ZEN ED and Promaster ED when I get them.

I will ignore this all until I get a chance to actually look at the Intrepid.

Well I think blizdas should have sent a few sets out to Steve, Frank and Kevin for a look as soon as EO got them if these guys liked them I know 4 Set's will come north and I'm sure others are waiting for there reviews.

By the way Hi all.
Best Alan

Last edited:
Have you tried the Chinese EDs before? I can't remember if you have?

I spent a few minutes looking through a pair of Promasters in a store. There was nothing available for comparison and very little time so I didn't form any opinions.

The Atlas bins will be put through every backyard optics test I can think of. Hopefully, the results will speak for themselves.

I spent a few minutes looking through a pair of Promasters in a store. There was nothing available for comparison and very little time so I didn't form any opinions.

The Atlas bins will be put through every backyard optics test I can think of. Hopefully, the results will speak for themselves.

I don't think any of us have star tested a set of Chinese ED bins yet ... though I may be forgetting Ron (Surveyor) and Promasters?

Last edited:
I Did use the ZEN 8x43 ,on a tripod,for casual astronomy,and my unit showed very sharp stars,No strange shapes or diffraction ..For a real star test you need something like 1x per mm of aperture to see the real resolution..That would need a 5X boost in the ZEN ED..But even at low power,looking at a bright star ,like Sirius,would help you determine if there are obvious problems present.Basically look for any deformity in the circular shape of the Out of focus image of the star,and look also for diffraction spikes in the Focused star.....of course ,when Star testing a binocular,you are only testing ONE particular unit,one barrel at a time..I do Star test every scope I get ,with a little LED light,.I make a pin Hole in a piece of electrical tape,cover the LED with the tape,and look at it from a set distance in my living room,,,!..I am so familiar with the image and characteristics of this "artificial star",that it becomes obvious if Coma,pinching or astigmatism are present( to a casual level),or to estimate the level of color correction...This,The level of color correction,IS very obvious ,even at low power..As i said..Im not an optics expert,so this is only a casual and fun experiment...

Last edited:
Just saw another ED open bridge binoculars from Alpen, called WINGS

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/alpen8x42wingsedbinoculars.cfm

Anyone had experience with this. Spec is very similar to Intrepid ED or other binoculars that have been discussed here. It is much lighter at 21oz.

There was a comparison between the Alpen Wings and the Zen ED over on archerytalk.com . From what I remember the Zen ED had better overall optical performance but the user preferred the handling/weight of the Wings.

Has any one seen a set of the Atlas Intrepids yet. Just a little anxious to here how they compare to the Zen and others.

Thanks Alan

I have an Atlas Intrepid 8x42. I am just about ready to post something. The short story is that whatever good has been said about the ZEN ED, the Promaster ELX ED, and the Hawke Frontier ED applies here. There are far, far more similarities than there are differences. Which I suppose should not surprise anybody.

Thanks Steve looking forward to your review think we best get set or two ordered before our dollar falls any more.

Thanks again Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back