• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new Victorys: Victory HT (1 Viewer)

Just snatched 10 minutes between other jobs looking across the valley with both FL and HT. The difference is remarkable even allowing for newbinocularitis.

The view is of an estate of private houses, some with red roof-tiles some with grey. It has been raining so road and roofs are wet with the sunlight reflecting off these wet areas.

Through the HTs the wet parts glisten and sparkle, the red roofs are redder (!) and the green grass lawns are greener and in short there is a greater range of contrast.

I can't believe I'm writing this but by comparison the FL is lifeless and dull.

These observations were made by swapping back and forth at very short intervals between the FL and the HT so that changes in illumination are seen through both bins.

On this evidence I have to reappraise my earlier summary and say that the HTs are like FLs with the optics turned up to 13 (not 11) and with the ergonomics turned up to 15.

Lee

Redder is bedder!

I bet you sold at least three HTs based on your comments, particularly the remark about the FLs being "lifeless and dull" by comparison, though I don't think Zeiss will use that in their ads. ;)

Do you plan to sell your FLs or keep them as a reminder of what bins looked like before the invention of "HT" glass?

<B>

"The ergos are just right for .me and I can get all fingers on the barrels and they feel well balanced."

"I would say that the sweet spot is 85%+and it only goes slightly out of focus in the last10% and then is refocusable."

Eddy, Eddy, Eddy, I really wish you hadn't said that! My cats and I are going to living in a cardboard box with my new HT.

From Lee's earlier comments, I was expecting the HTs to be closer to the FLs in edge sharpness and to have astigmatism starting about 20% from the edges. Even the distortion level sounds better than the FL.

Is it really possible that Zeiss went back to the drawing board and started from scratch when it designed the HTs? I thought, okay, jazz 'em up with "HT glass, slim jim the ergos, and basically you've got a slightly brighter FL in a slimmer package. But that's not what I'm hearing from you.

Brock

Last edited:
Redder is bedder!

I bet you sold at least three HTs based on your comments, particularly the remark about the FLs being "lifeless and dull" by comparison, though I don't think Zeiss will use that in their ads. ;)

Do you plan to sell your FLs or keep them as a reminder of what bins looked like before the invention of "HT" glass?

<B>

Hi Brock

I was genuinely suprised by the difference between FL and HT looking across the valley yesterday. I hadn't expected such a leap forward in the optics. Yesterday was a medium bright day and Zeiss personnel say that the HT-difference increases as the day gets darker.

As to my FLs I love them so much that even though there is a new kid on the block I plan to keep them. I am lucky enough to have FL 32s as well which for me fulfil a different role anyway, but the old FL 42s still have a home.

Lee

I have thoroughly checked the box that the HT came in (great box by the way, sharp edges and very little distortion) and there is no sign of the great-looking young lady that takes HT-owners into the woods to go hunting for something.

Shame. I felt a connection with her as soon as I saw that video.

Lee

Nice one Lee.

That there comment about the box made me laugh, so it did !

Fancy sending those HT's down to the I.O.W ?

Tim

Hi Tim.to answer you question about light intrusion and hazing the sun shone this afternoon and I was out on the estuary with bright sun on the water sparkling like diamonds and looking directly at the water at first I did find some reflections in the view.But I found that these were caused by my eyeglasses which I took off and the reflections disapeared .I did not find any hazing whatsoever and when viewing near to and at various angles near the sun I did not find any flaring.What I did find when viewing the sun on the water direct it was so bright that it hurt the eyes.I am not an expert in these things and normally I do not go looking for edges blackouts and the like but I can only say what I found personally someone more proficient might find something to fault but at the moment I can´t.I will be trying them out with my prescrion polarised glasses when the sun returns.As I said earlier these bino brighten up a dull day and are super bright on a sunny day.One other thing which I havn´t found in other binos is that I found it more confortable and a better image if I turned the eyepieces up one notch even though I was wearing eyeglasses again this is a personal thing.With regard to the ergos I found it most comfortable for long time viewing ,when not focusing,to grip the barrels with all eight fingers with the thumbs beneath,even with my banana fingers this was possible and I am retraining my muscle memory to focus with my middle finger as opposed to my index finger as this is better for steady viewing whilst focusing.The armour on the binos feels very tactile and a sure grip is ensured although down here we don´t wear gloves that often so I can not give any appraisal of this I hope that this will answer most of your questions and I will leave it to the bino experts to give you all a more technical review.That is it for the moment I will report back if I find anything else.Kind regards to you all and to those who are still waiting for the delivery of the binos I say be patient it is worth the wait. Eddy

Hi Brock

I was genuinely suprised by the difference between FL and HT looking across the valley yesterday. I hadn't expected such a leap forward in the optics. Yesterday was a medium bright day and Zeiss personnel say that the HT-difference increases as the day gets darker.

As to my FLs I love them so much that even though there is a new kid on the block I plan to keep them. I am lucky enough to have FL 32s as well which for me fulfil a different role anyway, but the old FL 42s still have a home.

Lee

Lee,

Just as well, after calling them "dull and lifeless," I don't think you would have gotten a good price for them. ;)

Well, like my Uncle Tonoose used to say, "One man's steak is another man's Kchuch" (whitefish pie).

A reviewer on the binomania forums said that as impressed as he is with his new HT, he prefers the red bias of the Leica Utravid (he owns the 8x32 HD model) and Nikon EDG. So apparently, even though "redder is bedder," they did not boost the red in the HT's color balance.

<B>

....prefers the red bias of the Leica Utravid (he owns the 8x32 HD model) and Nikon EDG. So apparently, even though "redder is bedder," they did not boost the red in the HT's color balance.

<B>

Don't stop at the red Nikon man, go all the way with the deep yellow EDF.

My Nikon Premieres can't hold the candle for the EDF when it comes to contrast.

Zeiss EDF. Try it.

Don't stop at the red Nikon man, go all the way with the deep yellow EDF.

My Nikon Premieres can't hold the candle for the EDF when it comes to contrast.

Zeiss EDF. Try it.

That's because the view through the EDF looks like a yellow candle flame. ;)

Funny, you popping up now, I I just mentioned your praise for this bin on the Leica forum, though I thought you had the more neutral color version from Docter. That's the version Piergiovanni from binomania is going to review.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2586066#post2586066

You'll also find the translated review from the HT owner I referenced above.

Star Buck

Last edited:
I felt the same way, especially seeing that she was holding the 7x42. Smart lady.

I know exactly what you mean. Being retired now I was really encouraged by her expert fondling of something older and more mature.

Time to stop and move on I think...

Lee

Gentelmen please....Can we now talk about the subject in hand (pun intended) the binos.Joe I´ve checked the focus wheel and it is rubberised with the same tactile feel as the main body and of course there is a lot of it. I hope this answers your question. Eddy.

I hope not Joe as in the summer our temps here can reach 40ºC but according to Zeiss they are suitable for -30to +65ºC so there should not be any problems but in their literature that comes with the binos it states quote¨never leave the binoculars in the sun for an extended period of time without the protective lens cap.The objective lense and the eyepiece can function as a burning glass and damage the interior components¨unquote.Hope this helps.The sun is shining so I´m off birding Bye for now Eddy.

I have thoroughly checked the box that the HT came in (great box by the way, sharp edges and very little distortion) and there is no sign of the great-looking young lady that takes HT-owners into the woods to go hunting for something.

Shame. I felt a connection with her as soon as I saw that video.

Lee

Outstanding!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back