• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-rumped Swallow? (1 Viewer)

I seem to remember that the rufous around the back of the neck is a variable feature, but the black under-tail coverts are a constant feature of RRS. The birds in the pictures look more like Striated Swallows, C striolata, but there does seem to be a lot of variation in RRSs. They are, however out of range for Striated Swallows.

Red-rumped Swallow to me. I see the lower part of UTC black, it is how they are overthere... checking on Google Image...

So Valery,
you are saying that the extreme tip of the UTC are black and that is OK? Certainly a little different from the id book I have for India.

Niels

From my experience, sometimes illustrators use reference material from subspecies different from those occurring in the area covered. That might happen due to difficulty of obtaining appropriate reference material, unawareness of subspecific/geographical variation, re-using an illustration of the same species made for a different fieldguide (covering a different area) or a mix of all of those mentioned. This tended to be more common in older fieldguides.

The only other species that could, possibly, cause confusion is Striated Swallow and they have much stronger and more extensive streaking on the underparts, less rufous on the collar ( the odd birds completely lack it ) and a very pale / white rump. Oh, and it'd be a vagrant ;)

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back