• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Tyke Meet of 2014? (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
It has been mooted on Twitter that having a rerun of last years LDV Meet might be a good idea. Anyone else up for it?

Due to impending fatherhood for one fella the meet would have to be before February, I couldn't do next week end as I'm ferrying my son to uni, so how about either Sunday 19th or 26th January - meeting at the car park for North Duffield Carrs about 8.00am would probably be the best option.

Show of hands for the date please

If we included the first weekend in Feb could you make it Graham?
Needs the father to be to give us a better idea of the date of his delivery

I'm game for any of those dates. Who knows how much water might be in the LDV but I hope it's less than last time.

Gulls at Rufforth Airfield for afters? Oh, go on then. :eek!:

Worked out my dates with the good lady last night, I can do 12th, 18/19th, 26th Jan. Possibly 1st/2nd feb, due date is 16th feb but as most of you will know they come when they want!

Castle howard may be worth a visit, long staying Scaup, crossbill there this weekend
Not even been down to NDC for a while but heard there is now some water but definitely nothing like last year, some dunlin & ruff about.
Iceland & caspian gull seen at rufforth yesterday by bird race teams.
May be worth starting at wheldrake ings early doors.

Looking good for the 19th, 3 sort of votes. So we will call that the day, start at NDC and then go wherever the birds are. Castle Howard is Terra incognito for me so I'd be up for a visit there.

Last edited:
Keith, surely you must have seen Brideshead Revisited? I've not been for years but I seem to remember that the hill to the east of the house with a weird Masonic temple (to Venus?) was created from digging out the lake.

Brideshead Revisited nah
when it was on first time round it was about the time when I'd just met up with my wife so we had other things to do than watch tv ;)

It's somewhere I've always thought about visiting as a birder but never actually got around to doing it.
I've actually fished the lake there about 40+ years ago in the company of my Dad and his mates, didn't really take much in on the day as I was actually catching fish most of the time, not something that happened on a regular basis then.

Back to topic, anyone else fancy the trip out?

Linda, if you want there'll be a spare seat in my car on the day.

Unfortunately, I can't make the 19th, but that's because I'll be be birding in Norfolk for three days, so it isn't so bad.

Andy K - Will hopefully make it over your way on another day before the winter's out, possibly with Cam. Maybe wet the baby's head too... B :)

Unfortunately, I can't make the 19th, but that's because I'll be be birding in Norfolk for three days, so it isn't so bad.

Andy K - Will hopefully make it over your way on another day before the winter's out, possibly with Cam. Maybe wet the baby's head too... B :)

Sounds good to me bud!

19th it is then. Might be worth starting at wheldrake ings if we start early to look for woodcock?

First light on the 19th is going to be around 8.00am so how about making the Wheldrake Ings car park at that time, the meet point and give a it a bit of a bash for woodcocks, then move on to NDC - Ellerton - maybe Aughton etc.

Linda, pm your mobile number if you are still down Headingley way I can pick you up then call for Ken.

Wheldrake YWT website shows parking down ings lane, but I'm sure I normally use a parking area which is just off church lane a bit higher up.

Which parking area should we be aiming for?

Wheldrake ings has its own car park which is large enough for the number of us. Assuming you approach from the a19 towards Wheldrake go through the village, around the sharp bend to the right and continue, you will pass bank island NR shortly on your left hand side and another turning for the water treatment plant on the left, Wheldrake ings entrance is the next left (Ings lane) and is VERY easy to miss to dont go speeding past!
The road down to the NR is only wide enough for 1 car so please drive slowly & considerately.

MAP HERE >>> https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zFt1akLJqbmU.k8mnBrT5ICU4

The other option is to park at Bank Island and walk down but im aware that may be difficult for some of our group. Will have to keep an eye on the river though as if it goes over we'll have to park at Bank Island.

The target bird was also seen on the 5th January so fingers crossed, if not im sure there will be plenty to see at the first hide but it is a bit of a trek. Bank island is also worth a visit before we go to NDC. Will keep an eye on the sightings but ellerton & aughton have been pretty quiet recently with the exception of whoopers but hopefully we should get them at NDC, would rather spare the locals if there's no need to go there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back