• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young bird in my room (Indonesia) (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

I'm experiencing a great birding time on Flores where I'm stuck with the crisis since 2 months and half. You can see the place and most endemic bird photos here.

In the cottage of the lodge where I'm based, a bird tried to enter in the evening, like if it didn't see the window. No violent hit I think, just like crazy behaviour, hovering with the beak against the glass ; curtains were closed. I caught it easily by hand and release it further up but he flew back on the same place and tried to enter again.

I decided to catch it again and put it in a dark box to relax. After 20 minutes, I estimated he was ok and released it. He flew normally and vanished in the forest. This was last week ; I didn't see it since.

I was a bit panicked for it and didn't focus on the photos. I just took one before releasing. Here it is.

My best bet is a pullus Orange-footed Scrubfowl but it is so small and already flying good ? Despite it is know in the area, I haven't seen one in 8 weeks here. I didn't find any illustration online to confirm my identification, so your comment would be much welcome.

Thanks !

Attachments

• inhandBFfloresMbelilingraw.JPG
    inhandBFfloresMbelilingraw.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 128
Megapodes can fly almost from the first day, they are 'precocial'.

A picture showing more of the bird would be better, what makes you think Megapode?

Last edited:
Megapodes can fly almost from the first day, they are 'precocial'.

A picture showing more of the bird would be better, what makes you think Megapode?

I've unfortunately no other pix, was just thinking of bird's health. Well, orange eye-ring and shape of the head reminding me the scrubfowl I know from Australia. Just... I don't see what else it can be ! Any other suggestion ?

Buttonquail?

The bird is small but not that small I think ; I found an injured buttonquail in South Africa one day, it is tiny. Still, it is an interesting suggestion thank you. I didn't find online any buttonquail with plain wings as my bird has. It was all plain brown, not contrast. The legs were orange. I'm not sure if there's a butonquail that lives here in the forest at 900m asl ?

The bird is small but not that small I think ; I found an injured buttonquail in South Africa one day, it is tiny. Still, it is an interesting suggestion thank you. I didn't find online any buttonquail with plain wings as my bird has. It was all plain brown, not contrast. The legs were orange. I'm not sure if there's a butonquail that lives here in the forest at 900m asl ?

I sent a PM to James Eaton.

Crake?

Struggling for birds with bare facial skin, Figbird sp?

Last edited:
I was just exploring other possibilities, it probably is the Scrubfowl?

I appreciate that. I don't see what else it can be, but I feel uncomfortable, not 100%, as I don't have any illustration or description of such a young pullus.

I wish someone who knows the species well can tell me "yes, I've seen them, they are like this at this age indeed". Well, I guess if there is no (at least I didn't find) photo of so young scurbfowl online, it means they are very difficult to see ?

You're right, it's an Orange-footed Scrubfowl. They are strong fliers immediately after hatching. Head and bill shape are what clinches it for me.

James

Valery,
can we place your image in the Opus article for this species? (there is a very different looking bird in there already, but I assume that one is a fair bit older).

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back