• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Webb's Wainscot? - Leicestershire, UK (1 Viewer)

condliffen

This furry lil critter is sitting next to me in my study as I type - does it look good for Webb's Wainscot?
Cheers
Neale

Attachments

• Webb's Wainscot-001 - Copy.jpg
    Webb's Wainscot-001 - Copy.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Webb's Wainscot-002 - Copy.jpg
    Webb's Wainscot-002 - Copy.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Webb's Wainscot - Copy.jpg
    Webb's Wainscot - Copy.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 26
Hmmm - I see that now. Thanks Paul!
(Note to self: start posting moths without wild guesses, and let the experts do the work!)

Always useful to have a crack at it yourself! Part of the learning experience. There are a lot to choose from - that's part of the fun.

All the best

Hmmm - I see that now. Thanks Paul!
(Note to self: start posting moths without wild guesses, and let the experts do the work!)

Hi,
I found the most useful start was this forum but then found the records for my Vice County and that helped a lot to narrow down what the creature may be. I suspect your guesses are not "wild" just your view of what it may possibly be. I started mothing in 2011 (June) and believe me, it does get easier. Keep with it and keep posting, however off target you are. But do spend time looking at them and you'll find certain markings that tell you what it is. Then, they'll disappear for a year and you'll have to do the whole thing over again.:eek!::eek!:
Cheers,
Jono

Thanks both! I was only half-serious about the wild guesses - I'm doing my best to narrow the moth down, but sometimes forgetting to check details like location, flight period, etc. leads to the wildness!
I don't trap - just 'invite' into my study and conservatory! - so it's slow going, but great fun, and I'm learning a lot from folks like you on here. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back