• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (8 Viewers)

Wow, that's sensational, indeed I see there was one in Aberdeenshire that was seen regularly in 1954. By nonetheless, I reckon they are very rare vagrants, and their is very little chance of seeing them off here. If you did, you would probably come renowned for your spot!

Just confirmed that I can go out on Saturday; the weather looks ok, and my Dad said yes. So as I said, I am hoping to get better views of the WWBT as long as its there and will also be checking several bushes for passerines. I'll report back in here if I see anything. ;)

Well, sorry if I got anyone's hopes up too high. The only place to report some migrants seems to be Strathbeg/Rattray area. Although getting there could have been a problem. After a fruitless couple of hours at Girdleness, I went for a look at Sheddocksley Woods. What an amazing place, and I didn't know of its existence until Calvin mentioned it. Basically, it is a series of shelter belts, mature mixed conifer and broadleaf, interspersed with young plantation, both native trees and sitka spruce, and rough grassland. You could spend a whole day there, meandering along the many paths. It wasn't the best of weather for birding, and probably a quiet time of year. Spring and late autumn/winter could be very productive though. Birds seen were Magpie 6, Rook, lots, Kestrel 2, Swallow, lots, mostly heading north, various gulls, Wood Pigeons, lots, Carrion Crows, Coal Tit, Robin 3, Blue Tit and Chaffinch. And 2 Grey Squirrels, one of which seemed quite upset by my presence. What a racket!

Well, sorry if I got anyone's hopes up too high. The only place to report some migrants seems to be Strathbeg/Rattray area. Although getting there could have been a problem. After a fruitless couple of hours at Girdleness, I went for a look at Sheddocksley Woods. What an amazing place, and I didn't know of its existence until Calvin mentioned it. Basically, it is a series of shelter belts, mature mixed conifer and broadleaf, interspersed with young plantation, both native trees and sitka spruce, and rough grassland. You could spend a whole day there, meandering along the many paths. It wasn't the best of weather for birding, and probably a quiet time of year. Spring and late autumn/winter could be very productive though. Birds seen were Magpie 6, Rook, lots, Kestrel 2, Swallow, lots, mostly heading north, various gulls, Wood Pigeons, lots, Carrion Crows, Coal Tit, Robin 3, Blue Tit and Chaffinch. And 2 Grey Squirrels, one of which seemed quite upset by my presence. What a racket!

Glad you liked it, there's also next boxes up in the woodland, I've never seen them occupied though. I used to think I heard owls, until I discovered twit-woo was a Woodpigeon :-O

Glad you liked it, there's also next boxes up in the woodland, I've never seen them occupied though. I used to think I heard owls, until I discovered twit-woo was a Woodpigeon :-O

Yes, I saw some nest boxes. They look quite old. Not for tits or owls, so not sure what they are intended for. I'd met the ranger before I'd seen them, or I could have asked him. Re your comment on dogs being banned from some areas, I totally agree, but I have to admit that all the dogs and their owners I met at Sheddocksley were well behaved and under control. And no poo on the paths. Well done, it makes a pleasant change.

I'm pretty sure there will be owls there, probably Tawny Owls. Choose a still evening about dusk or soon after and have a listen. The female goes "kewick" and the male answers "who who who".

The area including Den of Maidencraig and Sheddocksley Woods has been surveyed as part of the BTO Bird Atlas 2008 - 2011 survey. I don't know who the surveyor was, but here are the birds recorded, first in the winter (Nov - Feb) and then in the breeding season (Apl - July)

Winter:

Pink-footed Goose
Kestrel
Snipe
Woodpigeon
Blackbird
Redwing
Coal Tit
Magpie
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Siskin
Lesser Redpoll
Reed Bunting

Breeding Season:

Mallard Pair present
Sparrowhawk Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Buzzard Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Kestrel Pair present
Oystercatcher Agitated behaviour/Anxiety calls
Lapwing Agitated behaviour/Anxiety calls
Black-headed Gull Summering non-breeder
Common Gull Territoriality over 1 week
Lesser Black-backed Gull Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Herring Gull Territoriality over 1 week
Great Black-backed Gull Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Feral Pigeon Courtship and display
Woodpigeon Courtship and display
Cuckoo Singing/breeding calls heard
Swift Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Skylark Pair present
Swallow Pair present
House Martin Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Meadow Pipit Adult carrying food/faecal sac Confirmed breeding
Pied/White Wagtail Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Wren Nest with young seen/heard
Dunnock Singing/breeding calls heard
Robin Recently fledged/downy young Confirmed breeding
Blackbird Adult carrying food/faecal sac Confirmed breeding
Song Thrush Singing/breeding calls heard
Blackcap Pair present
Garden Warbler Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Willow Warbler Singing/breeding calls heard
Coal Tit Singing/breeding calls heard
Blue Tit Singing/breeding calls heard
Great Tit Singing/breeding calls heard
Magpie Pair present
Jackdaw Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Carrion Crow Territoriality over 1 week
Starling Adult carrying food/faecal sac Confirmed breeding
House Sparrow Recently fledged/downy young Confirmed breeding
Tree Sparrow Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Chaffinch Singing/breeding calls heard
Greenfinch Seen in suitable nesting habitat
Goldfinch Recently fledged/downy young Confirmed breeding
Linnet Pair present
Yellowhammer Singing/breeding calls heard
Reed Bunting Seen in suitable nesting habitat

Total for square: 43 No. confirmed breeding: 7

Let me know if you would like more info about the BTO survey.

I actually add all new area lifers that I see, it got a bit tedious adding infinite amount of Gulls everyday so now I only record certain things. Suppose I should add calling Grasshopper Warbler

The area including Den of Maidencraig and Sheddocksley Woods has been surveyed as part of the BTO Bird Atlas 2008 - 2011 survey. I don't know who the surveyor was, but here are the birds recorded, first in the winter (Nov - Feb) and then in the breeding season (Apl - July)

Total for square: 43 No. confirmed breeding: 7

Let me know if you would like more info about the BTO survey.

Ken, were you able to copy the info from the BTO website or did you have to type it all out?

TS

Hi folks,

Was out again today, and had quite a nice days birding, and went to Girdlness, Ythan and Strathbeg, starting at a late time of around 12:00pm due to nasty weather conditions. I'll report birds seen at Girdlness in Birds Fae Torry. However, the Ythan was the most active today, with hardly anyone (not even the wardens) to be seen at Strathbeg. At the Ythan, there was great wader activity, with loads of the most common waders (Redshank, Dunlin etc.) plus 200 Golden Plover, several Greenshank, Knot, 2 Common Sandpiper and a Sanderling. There actually turned out to be some slightly scarcer birds amongst them with 2 Curlew Sandpiper and 3 juvenile Little Stint seen, which was a pleasant surprise. According to birdguides via my phone there was also a Spotted Redshank (the Curlew Sands and Little Stint hadn't been reported) there, but we failed to see it.

Meanwhile at Strathbeg the pools in front of Starnafin were incredibly flooded, and there were no waders on them at all (they were all at Tower Pool, which we didn't actually check in the end). However, we did get lovely views of a Little Egret and a very close in male Marsh Harrier. We also checked the plantations where the Greenish Warbler had been seen yesterday (which was frankly knackering as we walked for miles from St Combes) but there was no sign of bird-life in it at all.

Overall, I had a nice day.

Joseph

Some other bits and bobs reported from Aberdeen (ish) over the weekend. Ruff, little gull and whinchat at donmouth. Garden warbler, lesser whitethroat and common crossbill from old portlethen.

Spotted Redshank yesterday on the Ythan estuary, opposite The Snub. The local paper was quickly on to the story. ;) I asked them to withhold my name, but it still appeared in the article, which I've copied here.

Spotted Redshank Spotted

By ALBIE McINITUP

The Ythan Eye can exclusively report that one of our rarest birds was spotted yesterday on the shore of the River Ythan estuary. The Spotted Redshank Tringa erythropus is a very rare visitor to North-East Scotland. It lays its eggs in the bogs of the high arctic, and is only occasionally seen here on migration.

Local twitcher Ken Sittaa (69) explained how he came to find the bird: “I was just checking out all the birds up and down the river, looking for something interesting or unusual”, he said. “Then I noticed this slim, spotty long-legged one, feeding next to a Common Redshank. I took a few photographs of it just to make sure of the identification, but I was pretty sure it was a Spotshank.”

When asked if he had seen one of these before, he admitted: “Well, I have, but only when someone else has pointed them out to me. In the summer they are black, so quite easy to see. This is the first time I have found one all by myself. It was rather exciting.”

Attachments

• IMG_9879.jpg
    IMG_9879.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 78
Well done Ken! On another note, what gales today! Was up in the woods and I was honestly cautious that one of the trees would fall down! There was also a big flock of House Martins, are they migrating?

thanks guys. Calvin, you were right to be cautious, it was quite a gale and a tree might well have come down, or even a big branch. Anyway, its dying out now with a nice calm settled spell for the next few days at least. House Martins are migrating now. They do tend to gather in flocks along with Swallows, fuelling up with insects before they set off. Of course there will always be stragglers, even into November so keep your eyes open. I would expect lots of Fieldfares and Redwings next month and Sheddocksley would be a good place to see them. The first Pink-footed Geese have arrived back at Strathbeg this week, so the skies will soon be full of them too. Too bad you can't make it to the bash this weekend - it's a great opportunity to see lots of birds and learn a bit about IDing them.

Well done Ken on the Spotshank. ;) Calvin, its a pity you can't make it to the Bash; you would really enjoy it, and you'd have a fellow young birder by your side (that's me!).

Actually off school right now, little cough! Think I seen some Waxwings yesterday, they come every year for the Rowan berries but it's a bit earlier than usual. Maybe it's just others passing through to continental Europe

Last edited:
Was up at Arnhall Moss today, advertises Long Tailed Tits but never seen any, in fact I never seen anything except the highest nest density I've ever seen and some bracket fungus. There was also a (probable) Tabby cat (maybe the same one from Tesco a few weeks back!) and a heap of 8 year olds jumping in to the water, and I was wondering why there was no frogs or herons around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back