• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Complete British Insects', Michael Chinery, Collins out in shops (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Hello All,

Just bought 'Complete British Insects', Michael Chinery, Collins at £16.99.
It's all photographs with a number by EN's Roger Key who sits next to me
and JNCC's Ian McLean.

It's pretty good. Obviously, it isn't really THE complete guide but you would
need several volumes to even attempt completeness.

Some photos are better, sharper than others. Between us we've spotted a few errors. Roger Key's are always very good. I've just told him so, not to spare his blushes, and he's reading it now. Apparently it was due out next week. He still hasn't got his freebie yet!

Brian Stone wrote:
ISBN = 0007179669

Use Bookbrain. Cheapest on the net is 13.59 from
Bookfellas.co.uk. I've used these recently and they
are quick, but use jiffy bags rather than the more
robust packaging of some other sellers.
http://www.bookbrain.co.uk/pricesearch.asp?isbn=0007179669

Chris

There's always someone around to tell you you've been had isn't there! ;)

I'm quite pleased with the book. There are more British species covered than in the Insects of Britain and Western Europe (also Chinery) and there are quite a number of lep larvae pictured. With this sort of book you can normally be sure that the creature you have in front of you won't be in the book but you stand a better chance of finding it with this one than most. You always need to bear in mind that there may be similar species and use the book as a step to learning more about an specific insect.

A small criticism is that the photos are printed right up to the edges of the page with no margin. This means that unless you force the book open and damage the spine you can't easily see parts of the pictures on the inner part of the page and any wear on the outer edges of the page will quickly eat into the pictures.

At eight quid its a steal and a brilliant intro to the wealth of British insect life.

brianhstone said:
There's always someone around to tell you you've been had isn't there! ;)
LOL. Brian, I have been on that side of the fence too. Read a thread a while back in here, and discovered I'd paid rather more than other people!

Still, it's always nice to find a bargain once in a while.

Cant find the name !

I have just bought this book as i wanted to find out what insect i have photographed and it is in my album,but is it not in the book ! can any one identifie it for me or where can i get it identified cheers.Tony.

Thank you Brian,that was fast !i will see what other relyies a get,i thought the boby was a bitn like the one you mention,fluffy,i have sent a photo up into the album,cheers.Tony.

brianhstone said:
My guess would be a longhorn moth, probably Adela reaumurella.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back