• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

Hi.

Managed to get a half decent days birding in today. Headed from Dereham out towards Kings Lynn way, Hunstanton, Titchwell, then worked our way back to Fakenham and ended up at Sparham. Managed 97 species in total.

Of all the birds seen my Highlights were:

3 Hen Harriers (2m, 1f).
2 Merlin.
Slavonian Grebe.
Jack Snipe.
Corn Bunting.
Ruddy Shelduck.

Happy new year to you all.

Fox.
97 was a good score, well done:t: the sun was out today which makes a big difference!!!!!;););)

Best Wishes
Penny:girl:

Hi all, does anyone know whether it is currently possible to see seal pups at Horsey and if so, whether they are still quite young?

Hi Kittykat

I had a look over the dunes last weekend near where the Environment Agency are working, accessed from the Horsey carpark, and there were at least 3 adults with white pups on the beach. Didn't walk further to the main viewing area but there were a lot of people visiting when we got back to the carpark - morning probably quieter if you can get there.

Check the surrounding area for cranes, we had 16 in fields near Waxham

Good luck

Paul

Had to go into town this morning so could get out until afternoon but saw some good birds in the afternoon at Abbey Farm, Flitcham: gadwall, green woodpecker, yellowhammer, egyptian goose and brambling. Further down the road adjacent to the hide we saw a common buzzard sitting in a tree in the far distance. No sign of the little owl for my '09 list! Then at Roydon Common (where there were several other birders) we watched both male and ringtail hen harriers gliding over the common and a barn owl close by, but no sign of any short eared owl.

Best Wishes
Penny:girl:

Happy New Year to all!

I am in New York at the moment ticking such delights as Red-tailed Hawk and Blue Jay in Central Park. I went for a long walk around Jamaica Bay this afternoon and I have done my best to blow a Ring-billed Gull your way James.

It is very cold over here with on and off gusts of snow but today has been fine all day so I have been able to admire all the American Robins and Northern Cardinals in all their Christmas red plumage.

Here's to another good birding year,
Best Wishes to one and all
Sue

A productive day 'out east' yesterday.

Cantley RSPB
38 Taiga Bean
46 Eurasian Whitefront
(after nipping off for the Waxwings at Thorpe St Andrew - always a good day when Waxwings are involved...)

Martham Broad
1 Kingfisher
3 Cetti's Warbler
8 Bearded Tit

Brograve / Waxham
6 Common Cranes (4 ads 2 juvs) - never seen a juv Crane before, so quite a treat.

Stubb Mill
42 Whooper Swans (magnificent sight and sound overhead)
1 Merlin
1 Sparrowhawk
16 Cranes (in two groups)
1 Barn Owl
1 ringtail Hen Harrier
and several brass monkeys looking very sorry for themselves...

Failed totally to find the Ross's (or rather, that should read, failed totally to find the Pinkfoot flock! I mean, it's only 12,000 strong so very 'inconspicuous'!)

Best wishes
Irene

Hi all,

Happy new year!

Paul, thanks for the info, in the end I decided to risk it and dragged the OH out on a trip to see the grey seals at Horsey yesterday afternoon. As I'm sure a lot of you know, the whole beach is cordoned off so as not to disturb them, but there was one little guy who decided to climb to the top of the dune and have a snooze right on the path. Needless to say he (or she) attracted quite a bit of attention! The volunteer rangers were keeping an eye on it and it was totally unfazed by all the attention. There was one white pup that we could see but it was not in the best position to photograph. However, a beautiful grey pup provided ample opportunity along with the other one asleep on the path. Here is a selection of shots.

I also saw a few sanderling, a poss red throated diver and a grebe of some sort offshore. Sadly we were loosing the light by the time we left the seals so didn't see cranes (but having seen them fly into roost at Stubb Mill a few weeks before Christmas I wasn't too bothered).

Now another question if you don't mind. Back to work tomorrow at Thorpe St Andrew Business Park- whereabouts are the waxwings please?? :t:

A few more here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157612117574426/

All the best

Jo

Attachments

• 3163595389_aa69744259.jpg
    3163595389_aa69744259.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 3164126850_65646e4174.jpg
    3164126850_65646e4174.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 3164503172_0118205f3d.jpg
    3164503172_0118205f3d.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3164256640_76ddc760cf.jpg
    3164256640_76ddc760cf.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 3163514261_4cabf1f732.jpg
    3163514261_4cabf1f732.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi
Does anyone know if its true about Hawfinchs being at Sculthorpe Moor.
Robert

I was at Sculthorpe today, didn't see Hawfinch on the sightings board and no other birders mentioned them on the trail round, where did you hear about them? Did manage to catch up with the birds at Felbrigg earlier in the morning, so wasn't too fussed ;)

James

James,
would be interested in your sightings from Sculthorpe. Any Willow Tit - seen by yourself or reported recently by others. Are the dubious Golden Pheasants still showing. What birds are on or around the feeders?

Thanks,
David

James,
would be interested in your sightings from Sculthorpe. Any Willow Tit - seen by yourself or reported recently by others. Are the dubious Golden Pheasants still showing. What birds are on or around the feeders?

Thanks,
David

I went mainly for the two species you mentioned. I didn't see the Golden Pheasants today, but they had been seen on each of the past five days, so I think had we have stayed for longer we would have seen them. I saw the male last autumn in the area opposite the woodland hide, but this area is even barer than it was before, so I would presume they have moved further along the reserve where there is a bit more cover.

The feeders near the information board only had coal, blue & great tit. The best area was the feeders at the back of a small clearing between the woodland hide and the stream. We saw a number of tits here, four Marsh Tits, and one which showed some characteristics of Willow, but not enough to claim it confidently, which I guess is the current topic. The alders around this area also had Brambling and Siskin. Interestingly no-one had written Willow Tit on the sightings board, which dated back to before Christmas.

The only other bird of interest was a partial leucistic Fieldfare with a completely white head, which was in the field alongside the drive down to the reserve.
Hope thats of some use!

Also today I saw one Tree Sparrow in a hedgerow at Flitcham opposite the farm buildings, along with large amounts of Brambling and Yellowhammer.

Now another question if you don't mind. Back to work tomorrow at Thorpe St Andrew Business Park- whereabouts are the waxwings please?? :t:

Most days they have been seen around the junction between Dussindale Drive and Commonwealth Way, sometimes moving to trees near Newbury Way.

James

Last edited:
James,

Thanks,
David

Hi, I was at Sculthorpe last week and took these pictures at the feeder, I think they are Coal and Marsh Tit or is it a Willow? Would be grateful if you could confirm thanks.
Tina

Attachments

• sculthorpe a.jpg
    sculthorpe a.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 130
  • sculthorpe b.jpg
    sculthorpe b.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 112
Ken Hill Wood

In Ken Hill Wood this afternoon, 1 Firecrest with a mobile tit flock (which included masses of Goldcrests - gave up counting at 70).

Regards,
Irene

i'd go with marsh. can see the white mark on the bill, the white cheek abruptly changing into dull buff on the 'hind cheek' and subsidiary features - glossy cap, neat bib and dull grey flanks
well done on getting photo - see this thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=107725

Hi All,
For the record, I've been to Sculthorpe Moor a few times recently and on only one occasion have I seen Willow Tit. All the birds visiting the feeders have been Marsh Tits.
The Willow Tit (which was very vocal) was in the woodland to the left of the boardwalk as you walk out towards scrape hide (just past the bit where you have a dyke and reeds on the right).

Cheers
Chris

Titchwell January 5th

Today's highlights

Woodcock - 1 briefly in scrub between carpark and visitor centre
Peregrine - 1 hunting over lagoons
Avocet - 3 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter - 7 offshore
Arctic skua - 1 offshore
Snow bunting - 20 feeding on beach east of platform

On the marsh/willow tit debate. I had 2 marsh tits on Syderstone Common yesterday which made me look twice as they both showed prominent pale wing panels as in willow. Thankfully both birds were calling and were showing well enough to see the pale patch at the base of the bill. A brief sighting could have led to a different ID.

Paul

Anyone tell me what time high tide is at Titchwell tomorrow and remind me where I can find out tide times for aroung the coast ?!

Hi,

High tide tomorrow at Titchwell is 13:19 but at only 4.9 metres is quite a 'low' high tide, if you see what I mean...

50p will get you a very useful Tide Table from the visitor centre at Titchwell.

Regards,
Irene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back