• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cut down a tree, found a birds nest. Now what? (2 Viewers)

Afro Boy

I was cutting down some pittosporum trees in my backyard. After felling one of them, we noticed a small nest with two baby birds in it.

The tree is obviously gone so I placed the nest carefully in a nearby tree (around 20 metres away).

I thought I saw the mother fly by a few minutes later, sit on the fence, look around then fly off. Not sure if it was the mother though.

I know I shouldn't moved the nest but I really had no option as the tree had already been felled. :(

I'm worried about the baby birds. What's the best course of action for me now? Is it possible to help the mother find them again? Should I take the nest to the local vet or something else?

I'm not sure of the species but have uploaded some pics and a video (I'm on the Mornington Peninsula south of Melbourne, Victoria). Whenever I go near them they open up waiting for food to fall from the heavens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carljoseph/tags/birdnest/

Thanks,
Af.

Looks like a Noisy Myna maybe.... harsh as it seems I wouldn't worry about them. If the parents don't come back they will be magpie food before long.

Nooooooo

it is too late now but if someone else is in the same situation and the original nesting place is salvageable, they should make a nest out of tissue paper or a hand towel (not toilet paper as it could get caught around the babies' legs and injure them) and call a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back