Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Owling tips please

Old Monday 14th April 2014, 06:27   #1
Johnno65

Owling tips please

Hi people,
Am seeking an photography tips for photographing owls at dusk/early evening when low light is an issue. What techniques and equipment do I need to get some success ? Thank you

Last edited by Johnno65 : Monday 14th April 2014 at 15:23. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Tuesday 15th April 2014, 15:52   #2
Farnboro John

You will need a camera that will deal with such things by very high ISO number or have to use flash, in which case you will have to do a lot of experimentation to eliminate red-eye or worse effects.

Mods: could you correct owning to owling as I think people may be avoiding this thread thinking the bloke is a falconer.

John
Old Tuesday 15th April 2014, 21:13   #3
Mickr

As has been said, you need a camera which works well in low light so it has to be good at high ISO. You will probably have to spend a fortune on a lens. For instance a Canon 400mm f5.6 lens which is perfectly good for daylight costs in the region of 1100. The f2.8 will be much better during dusk and early evening and will cost between 7000 and 9000.
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 08:03   #4
Johnno65

Wow. I will have to sale the missus car when she is asleep (hehe) , ok guys thanks for the advice will have to put that on the back burner for now.
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 17:54   #5
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno65 View Post
Wow. I will have to sale the missus car when she is asleep (hehe) , ok guys thanks for the advice will have to put that on the back burner for now.
You can always get a smaller lens if you can get closer or stick to Short-eared owls if you can find them. Photographing Tawny Owls isn't too difficult during the day if you have an idea where to find them. Barn owls will come out during the day, especially if feeding young.
Old Tuesday 22nd April 2014, 07:53   #6
Pugs1

not ideal but you could use a red filter on a spotlight
Old Tuesday 22nd April 2014, 14:34   #7
fenboy1969

I wouldn't be put off Johnno. Perched birds can be photographed with almost any basic kit if you learn their habits enough to get close as every british species shows in decent light at one time or another. Birds in flight obviously require better kit but nothing exceptionally expensive. I started out with a Nikon d90 and sigma 150-500 lens and got plenty of nice shots of little, barn and short eared owls.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: