• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grist to the Anti-raptor Mill (1 Viewer)

Alan Tilmouth

This link in the Daily Mail today will no doubt stir up the anti-raptor lobby. Obviously it could be photoshopped, it offers no new information, we all know Eagles will take weak or dead lambs and if it is genuine was the lamb dead before the Eagle took it?

I find the explanation of anonymity from the alleged 'bird watcher' a little ironic given that he has more or less stated where he was and suspect that this either means he isn't a birder at all or is trying to avoid criticism for selling his image to the tabloids in full knowledge that it would add grist to the mill of those that persecute our raptors and would seek to cull them.

Also interesting that rather than approach the Daily Mail direct the image appears to have come through a publicist/PR company who handles both business and private clients. Puts a big question mark over the motives in my eyes.

Last edited:
This link in the Daily Mail today will no doubt stir up the anti-raptor lobby. Obviously it could be photoshopped, it offers no new information, we all know Eagles will take weak or dead lambs and if it is genuine was the lamb dead before the Eagle took it?

I find the explanation of anonymity from the alleged 'bird watcher' a little ironic given that he has more or less stated where he was and suspect that this either means he isn't a birder at all or is trying to avoid criticism for selling his image to the tabloids in full knowledge that it would add grist to the mill of those that persecute our raptors and would seek to cull them.

Also interesting that rather than approach the Daily Mail direct the image appears to have come through a publicist/PR company who handles both business and private clients. Puts a big question mark over the motives in my eyes.

I share your suspicions about this - it looks photoshooped alright but even if it wasn't it proves nothing despite the sensationalist BS that this Tory rag trys to whip up. The vast majority of hill lambs die from disease,bad weather and poor husbandry. Of course eagles who come across such carcasses will carry them off - but the irrational Raptor haters will use any excuse to justify killing such protected species:C

Yet again, any excuse to bad name raptors. Its a joke that they could even think this means anything, an eagle carrying off a piece of meat, there's nothing that even suggests it killed that lamb.

Oh and I see in their Golden Eagle "facts" that they were planning to introduce them to Suffolk... I can see them now, sawing around Mount Sutton Hoo...

I wouldnt wipe my @R$£ with 'journalism' like this...

Last edited:
Already a thread on the British Farming Forum

Loose words cost lives - not that the Daily Mail give a damn:C

PS: If this "story" makes it over here it could be the final curtain for both Eagle projects:-C

Last edited:
It does look like a dubious picture.
How much would a lamb that big weight? Surely a Golden Eagle would be labouring somewhat flying with that in it's talons, whereas this seems to be happily gliding along.
You would have to be suspicious, given where it has been published and the tone of the article.

The picture is probably a 'real' one of a Golden Eagle carrying off a deliberately set out carcass of a dead lamb. " Swooping assassin", "bloodied lamb", "razor sharp talons", "confirming farmers worst fears" - it's nice to know the Mail(ed Fist of the Rabid Right ) hasn't lost it's objectivity.

Chris

There is a lot that does not add up in this story,I do not think there will be hill lambs on Mull in Feb so to start the very iffy looking photo is questionable.

The Daily Mail seems to have it in for our wildlife. Horrible, horrible rag that I wouldn't use as bog paper.

In the 'fact' box in the Mail article (I use the word 'fact' very loosely here) they say that "[The] Victorians hunted them to extinction in the UK but in 1975 they were reintroduced to Scotland from Norway" Surely that's the White-tailed Eagle, not the Golden? Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm sure the Golden Eagle has never been extinct here? And I am certain that they don't fly at 100mph!

I agree with others, those pictures are definitely iffy.

Last edited:
The Daily Mail seems to have it in for our wildlife. Horrible, horrible rag that I wouldn't use as bog paper. In the 'fact' box in the Mail article (I use the word 'fact' very loosely here) they say that "[The] Victorians hunted them to extinction in the UK but in 1975 they were reintroduced to Scotland from Norway" Surely that's the White-tailed Eagle, not the Golden?

The Mail copy editor can't challenge the ignorance of the journalist/hack unless he has achieved a higher mark on the compulsory 'Learn to Read' course that's part of the on-the-job-training. I understand that both will be taking the course in 2013, once it's confirmed that they have been successfully potty-trained.
MJB

There is a lot that does not add up in this story,I do not think there will be hill lambs on Mull in Feb so to start the very iffy looking photo is questionable.

Hi this picture has been doctored, look at the feet of the eagle, well out of proportion, this eagle is one of a pair that breed on the gribbun rocks on mull, they have never been known to feed on lamb, dead or alive, this bird is an adult, no white under wings.

Last edited:
This article has appeared on another of my bird Forms as another link! How many more links are they and what are their contents

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/lamb_on_menu?pg=3#newscomments

This time the article has 'Lets take the Mick' as a title :C

Look at the comment box of peoples views! :C No matter people are left in ignorant land when it comes to BoP's :eek!:

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi this picture could have been put together, to throw the scent off the fact that it is the white tailed eagles that take, live lambs, they have also taken full grown ewes in the past, just a thought, I know for a fact several farmers on mull who have been campaigning about this, I know some will say oh the poor farmer,moaning again, but before you do, I would advise that you should visit the island, and see the terrian that these farmers have to farm, the area where this picture was taken is farmed by Lachlan and his brother Malcolm, they have a hard life, keeping it altogether, and to lose the ammont of livestock they have been losing, since the arrival of the white tails, when you visit the island, call in at Knock farm, Gruiline, and ask them.

Last edited:
Hi this picture could have been put together, to throw the scent off the fact that it is the white tailed eagles that take, live lambs, they have also taken full grown ewes in the past, just a thought, I know for a fact several farmers on mull who have been campaigning about this, I know some will say oh the poor farmer,moaning again, but before you do, I would advise that you should visit the island, and see the terrian that these farmers have to farm, the area where this picture was taken is farmed by Lachlan and his brother Malcolm, they have a hard life, keeping it altogether, and to lose the ammont of livestock they have been losing, since the arrival of the white tails, when you visit the island, call in at Knock farm, Gruiline, and ask them.

So what is the answer to this problem EG ?

So what is the answer to this problem EG ?

Hi Johnny Alan, I wish I knew, I am only pleased that at least the norfolk realese was stopped, and some of my evidence was taken into account, one of the main problems on mull is, it has been so well advertised, with all and sundrey jumping on the band wagon, and yes I can see the appeal to bird watchers wanting to see these birds, and lets not forget they are magnificent birds, but I am afraid they have been inprinted to the extent of not knowing they are what they should be, (if that makes sense) but the bird watchers dont know the other side to the story, unfortunatly for me I have been too involved with all sides, been one of the first to find these birds, and knowing the island and the people like the back of my hand, And witnessing the deaths of the goldies that have been killed, I only hope I can get my book finished and published.

Last edited:
Hi this picture has been doctored, look at the feet of the eagle, well out of proportion, this eagle is one of a pair that breed on the gribbun rocks on mull, they have never been known to feed on lamb, dead or alive, this bird is an adult, no white under wings.

agreed, the eagles left foot appears to be sticking through the lambs body. Also, look closely and you will see a slight 'glow' coming from the lamb. Something is dodgy here

Explain Norway

it is the white tailed eagles that take, live lambs, they have also taken full grown ewes in the past, just a thought, I know for a fact several farmers on mull who have been campaigning about this, I know some will say oh the poor farmer,moaning again, but before you do, I would advise that you should visit the island, and see the terrian that these farmers have to farm, the area where this picture was taken is farmed by Lachlan and his brother Malcolm, they have a hard life, keeping it altogether, and to lose the ammont of livestock they have been losing, since the arrival of the white tails, when you visit the island, call in at Knock farm, Gruiline, and ask them.

As amusing as I find your tales from the highlands and islands, would you care to explain why Norway tolerates one of the densest populations of WTSE's in the world right in the middle of their own sheep country??. Especcially in light of the fact that the same country has brought its own bear and wolf populations to the point of extinction at the behest of the local sheep industry in much more remote parts of the country!!

Last edited:
As amusing as I find your tales from the highlands and islands, would you care to explain why Norway tolerates one of the densest populations of WTSE's in the world right in the middle of their own sheep country??. Especcially in light of the fact that the same country has brought its own bear and wolf populations to the point of extinction at the behest of the local sheep industry in much more remote parts of the country!!

I spoke to some farmers in Norway as did the authorities, in thier country they keep all the sheep in pens untill the lambs are a few months old, they are then taken to outside pens , before been realesed into the open, there w.t. do take some lambs but not as many as the ones in Scotland. Also bear in mind the w.t. eagles in Norway are wild bred eagles and not translocated ones, that have been imprinted by humans.

Last edited:
Poor standard of livestock husbandry is the issue here

I spoke to some farmers in Norway as did the authorities, in thier country they keep all the sheep in pens untill the lambs are a few months old, they are then taken to outside pens , before been realesed into the open,

If that is true then it would significantly reduces the main loss factors such as fox and corvid predation along with problems relating to exposure, injury and disease . Sounds to me like the farmers in Norway provide a far better standard of husbandry for their animals then the crofters you mention which I strongly suspect is the main issue here. Of course instead of implementing proper practice its far easier to to bitch and moan over easy scapegoats with a view to getting even more state handouts:(

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back