Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 19:32   #3151
J Moss

1 probable Long-eared Owl this evening at around 5:15. Very windy over the marshes, so it was getting battered all over the shop. Made it difficult to get a decent view in the dark, but it was too long-winged for a Tawny, and it wasn't a Barn Owl, so it's a fairly safe bet. Also 1 Barn Owl, 2 Woodcocks, c30 Magpies at their roost, 1 Roe Deer and a Muntjack with a fawn.

Also had 2 Short-eared Owls on Blakeney Point the other day. Thats all the native owls sorted before Feb and the year list up to 120! Ooh-rah!!!

Jason

Last edited by J Moss : Thursday 31st January 2008 at 19:50.
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 19:32   #3152
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

While down birding last week I had a pinkie at Holham with a neck collar sent the details off and have just received the following report.Makes interesting reading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pink-footed_Goose_Sightings.pdf (16.5 KB, 194 views)
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 19:54   #3153
Edward woodwood

several cranes incl three very low over Horsey Mere tonight plus whitefronts, Barnacles and 2000 pinks on way home from work but no sign of any Tundras.

I think well over 150 Pink-footed goose neck collars have been read out east. The flocks are quite mobile and you've probably got more chance of success searching out the flocks and 'finding' a white goose yourself than relying on pager messages, which are not as frequent out here. And it's a bit more exciting!
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 20:27   #3154
Richard Abr

Harriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralchill View Post
Glad you had a reasonable day Dan, sorry about the harriers!
I'm surprised you didn't see any Ross's Geese at Snettisham (!!) they have remained faithful to that site for years!

Good to hear from you Chris, can't argue with what you are saying. Didn't quite mean that about the Caspian's, but you make another good point on a strict BOU list

we'll have to meet up again sometime

All the best
David
Re Harriers, Birdguides reported 5 Ringtails at Roydon late afternoon today.
Richard
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 18:43   #3155
Paul Eele

Coast today

Have a few friends from South Wales up for the weekend and have spent the day along the coast. Not exactly good conditions with such a strong wind but managed to get cracking views of the sparrow and snow bunts at Salthouse.
Of interest at Salthouse was a drake green winged X common teal hybrid (showed both horizontal and vetrical stripes) feeding on the grain put out for the buntings. The horizontal stripe was strongly marked but the vertical stripe was very reduced and looked similar to the bird that I saw at Minsmere at the start of the year. There were some images taken and I will post them when I get them.
Managed to get in before the sleet so finger crossed for better weather tomorrow!!

Paul
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 00:09   #3156
Mike Feely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Pain View Post
While down birding last week I had a pinkie at Holham with a neck collar sent the details off and have just received the following report.Makes interesting reading.
Hi Geoff

Where did you send off the info to, to get this report. I saw F67 (neck collar) at Saxlingham a couple of weeks ago, but have not sent the details off anywhere yet - it would be nice to get such a comprehensive history as you have.

Was meant to be be "goosing" in Norfolk tomorrow with my uncle, but work commitments meant that i couldn't leave work today as early as i would have liked (needed to get to Loughborough this evening) - hopefully next weekend.

For what it's worth, for various resons, i beleive the 2 Ross's that have been with the Pinkies at Saxlingham (& elswhere) recently have better credentials than many - they're on my (year) list at any rate (unless proved escaped).

Gutted to have missed the Shorelarks on Monday - i was scanning the exact area of bank between the East Bank & North Hide from the East Bank - no sign, but it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. We met a couple of other birders who had walked along the bank and had not seen them, so decided not to walk along there - a wrong decision it seems!

Mike
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 01:08   #3157
Edward woodwood

Hi there

added some more pix of the Ludham D-b Barn Owl to show the Id features

see http://www.freewebs.com/eastnorfolkbirding/articles.htm

Tim
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 13:47   #3158
Andrew Grieve

RE: Pink-footed Goose neck collar

Hi,

F67 is a Danish collar put on at Vest Stadil Fjord on 27 March 2007, but there have been no further sightings of this bird until it was seen near Great Yarmouth on 4 January 2008.

AG
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 16:13   #3159
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Feely View Post
Hi Geoff

Where did you send off the info to, to get this report. I saw F67 (neck collar) at Saxlingham a couple of weeks ago, but have not sent the details off anywhere yet - it would be nice to get such a comprehensive history as you have.

Mike
Mike,

If you follow the link below it'll take you to the appropriate page on the BTO website where you can click on the required link, fill in all the details and submit your sighting. You may have a bit of a wait though, I'm still waiting for details on a Pink I saw/submitted on Christmas Eve!

http://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/colour_rings.jsp

Good goosing...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 18:29   #3160
craigaholden

Gonna be in north Norfolk tomorrow and just wondered if there's much about that I'm not aware off. Maybe any velvet scoter or long tailed ducks anywhere, that sort of thing. News has been quiet on the shorelarks at Cley in the last two days. Assume they have moved on then? Cheers
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 18:49   #3161
Edward woodwood

20 Snow Bunts
several Cranes
6 Whitefronts
1 Barnacle
2nd-winter Med Gull
and over 200 Red-throated Divers north in one hour this lunchtime plus good numbers noted passing Walcott later on. Wonder if anyone did any longer counts?

Velvet Scoter 'reported' Horsey...

details on website later
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 19:44   #3162
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Feely View Post
Hi Geoff

Mike
Sent my info to the email address below and got a reply in a couple of days.

If you managed to read any collars then send the codes to Richard Hearn at Slimbridge (richard.hearn#wwt.org.uk) if they were grey, or to Jesper Madsen (jm#dmu.dk) if they were blue in colour.
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 19:58   #3163
devon.birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigaholden View Post
Gonna be in north Norfolk tomorrow and just wondered if there's much about that I'm not aware off. Maybe any velvet scoter or long tailed ducks anywhere, that sort of thing. News has been quiet on the shorelarks at Cley in the last two days. Assume they have moved on then? Cheers
They were seen mid morning on Friday about 50 yards west of the end of the East Bank. They flew off towards the Cley beach car park a few minutes before I got there. I walked almost as far as the car park without seeing them so I am wondering whether they have moved to the same place as two years ago ie west of the car park. I spent several hours there on Thursday morning without seeing them as well but the weather then was very windy. No reports on the Pager today so far.
I saw a couple of Long-tailed Ducks off Holme on Tuesday, walk across the golf course to view the sea.
Roger
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 22:30   #3164
Penny Clarke

My day started late, due to the fact that a local outdoor wear shop that has been in King's Lynn since I was a child, had a full page advert in my local paper advertising 35% off ALL stock as their were closing down - so I had to go into town, which I NEVER do on a Saturday and came out with a bag of goodies eg. couple of tins of Nikwax, new coat etc etc!!! The shop was half stripped by the time I got there!

Arrived Snettisham RSPB 2.20pm. Too late really, but never mind, it was BITTERLY cold here - tons of waders on the shore including loads of oystercatchers and shelduck, few grey plover, sanderling, redshank, mallard etc. There were several smart goldeneye in the pits, wigeon, cormorants, herring gulls, little grebes and greylags and had 2 marsh harriers over the back fields at the far end of reserve. On the path back there were loads of greylags in a field, along with about half a dozen mute swans. I was hoping for an owl or maybe some shorelark, but no luck. Oh there were a small flock of linnets feeding too. Thats about it today! Went home and fell asleep with cat until now!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 23:24   #3165
SueBryan

Eventually saw the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Holkham today (yippee!) it was almost down by the lake north of the monument. Later at Stiffkey it was good to see the Rough-legged Buzzard but the Marsh Harriers were giving it some grief! I watched it again at Wells where several other birders caught up with it. (Good to see you David/ Ruralchill)
Sue
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 12:05   #3166
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBryan View Post
Eventually saw the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Holkham today (yippee!) it was almost down by the lake north of the monument. Sue
Hi Sue, was it with a tit flock or on its own?

Hoping to catch up with it one of these days...

Connor
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 17:07   #3167
Edward woodwood

A cold seawatch this afternoon produced a Pom Skua.

very little else, apart from
a small number of Kittiwakes
10 Gannets
12 auks
2 Pintail
20+ Snow Buntings
1 Barnacle Goose
a few Cranes
c.20 Red-throated Divers

a trawl of the records suggests that yesterday's diver passage was very noteworthy. Does anyone else have any counts?
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 18:37   #3168
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Started the day off by watching an intriguingly dark coloured barn owl hunting on a local common with a friend today, the bird being on our local patch for the past two months or so but only recently decided to call in for a second opinion on it...the bird is on the RBA map if anyone can be bothered to drag themselves into south Norfolk for a better look, also chanced upon a Short Eared Owl in the area and an Iceland Gull flew over just before we left for the UEA broad..

No Hawfinches at the rabbit area today but saw a good sized flock of approx40 brambling and 70 Siskin, last sighting of the day was a Kingfisher byt the river....very nice bumping into kittykat23Uk (the coffee was much appreciated!!)

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuff 576 034 (Custom).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	124220  Click image for larger version

Name:	stuff 576 033 (Custom).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	124221  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 18:52   #3169
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post
Started the day off by watching an intriguingly dark coloured barn owl hunting on a local common with a friend today, the bird being on our local patch for the past two months or so but only recently decided to call in for a second opinion on it...
Matt
I've become quite interested in these recently Matt and have put some extra pics on my site of the Ludham bird so you could always have a look at that. Plus I've researched the ID as much as possible and included some of that info on there too.

On the Ludham bird although it has a half-breast (as some guttata types do) the breast below this was suffused buff as well and this shows in the pics. The underwing covs are visible in one pic too. There aren't any pix of the uppers but they were very grey.
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 19:29   #3170
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
I've become quite interested in these recently Matt and have put some extra pics on my site of the Ludham bird so you could always have a look at that. Plus I've researched the ID as much as possible and included some of that info on there too.

On the Ludham bird although it has a half-breast (as some guttata types do) the breast below this was suffused buff as well and this shows in the pics. The underwing covs are visible in one pic too. There aren't any pix of the uppers but they were very grey.
Thanks for that, Tim

Steve and myself went through the pics of the Ludham bird last night and were pretty confident to make the call this morning after good close views of the bird in flight.

Our notes as follows..

Upperparts

Mantle/lesser coverts solid grey with pale flecking which contrasted with orange primaries and secondaries which gave an overall two tone impression, quite dark..

Head, nape and breast orange. The orange continued down the breast as far as the belly but not the feathering on the tarsi which were off white.

The facial disc was pale and contrasted strongly against the orange around the head and neck.

Possibly some dark smudging around the eyes.

Definitely an interesting looking owl and any further opinions from other observers would be welcomed..

(will try and get some record shots in the week!!)

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 21:56   #3171
Penny Clarke

Decided to go out this morning instead of doing boring jobs at home.

Went to Holkham and missed seeing a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker by 2 minutes, but it was a lovely walk anyway, saw a treecreeper and a couple of bramblings.

Went on to Cley and saw the White Crowned Sparrow again (2nd time) and instantly had brilliant views of it sitting in the bush - Penny gets her camera all set up and it disappears completely!!!!! It definately looks fatter and healthier than when I saw it the first time, which is good news. A barn owl came gliding across the fields and gave everyone wonderful views - a small crowd were there of about 10 people.

Went onto Salthouse and very briefely watched a huge flock of snowbuntings while quickly having a cup of tea before rushing back home to go to work this afternoon!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 23:57   #3172
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Went on the RSPB boat trip onto Breydon today. The wind had driven many of the birds onto the grass at Berney/Halvegate so there virtually no golden plover or lapwings on the mud. Interestingly this made it wasier to pick out the other species, as you didn't have to wade through 40,000 plovers to see em. Good numbers of blackwits, some bars, redshanks (and a solitary spotshank), knots, ringed plovers, dunlin and curlew. Had a suspiciously small bird in a flock of dunlin but they few before I could get a good look. A single marshie flew over near Burgh Castle, where the boat turned round. Oh and the usual ducks, gulls etc.

A good two hours, and fun to get so close to the mud. Shame about the wind though - must get myself some thermal longjohns!

Oh, I popped into UEA Saturday and dropped my camera case - I don't suppose anyone spotted a soft grey bag with strap (labelled minolta) sitting on the mud at the back of the broad? (slim chance I know)

Last edited by HarassedDad : Sunday 3rd February 2008 at 23:58. Reason: typo
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 00:21   #3173
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Dropped in at Walcott late this afternoon and in the fading light snapped an adult Med Gull with my 5x Eagle Eye and my watery eye!

Also a Marsh Harrier earlier just west of Stalham, no doubt heading to join the others at the roost...

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Med&BHGull.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	124268  

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 09:21   #3174
kittykat23uk

Just to add to Matt's post. Had a wander up to UEA via the small patch of woodland along Larkman lane - where I got good view of a nuthatch, then through Earlham park and along the river up to the rabbit compound, en route finding a pair of treecreepers by a pond and a grey wagtail flitting around the river.

As Matt mentioned, no hawfinches but the mixed flock of bramblings and other finches showed well. Another nuthatch and a marsh tit also visited the feeders. Then a walk along the broad produced the flock of siskins, a couple of common gulls, mixed in with the BHGs and a single pochard. Still no luck with the goosanders, nice GS woodpecker and kingfisher though.

A lift back to mine courtesy of Matt and Steve was very welcome, in return for teas and coffee all round. More photos to be uploaded to my flickr gallery this evening but here is the kingfisher for now.

Sorry didn't find any camera cases..

Jo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2238934191_ab0287be5d.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	124305  
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 13:58   #3175
liverpool_bob
scarce migrant to yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post
Definitely an interesting looking owl and any further opinions from other observers would be welcomed..
Hi,

I've recently noticed this thread (and Tim's 'article' ) about dark barn owls. My interest is that, although not in Norfolk, I saw a confusingly dark owl in E.Yorks in Dec that got me thinking... though as in this discussion it was not like they look in the books - all dark-breasted. I posted about it as an ID question <here> (sorry no photos).

And then there's <this> on Graham Catley's blog...

Cheers,
Bob.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: