• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed50 & 20d?? (1 Viewer)

harley1450

I've just bought my first scope (an ED 50 Nikon) and am extremely pleased with it - pin sharp.
I also use a Canon 20D DSLR with a 100-400L lens with 1.4x Kenco converter. Question is can I mate the camera with the ED50?
The eye piece is 40x on a 60mm scope - what does this equate to on the 50mm scope - as it's only got 78mm (50x) and 60mm on it? Is it the 27x??

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie to this!! Thanks in advance.

I've just bought my first scope (an ED 50 Nikon) and am extremely pleased with it - pin sharp.
I also use a Canon 20D DSLR with a 100-400L lens with 1.4x Kenco converter. Question is can I mate the camera with the ED50?
The eye piece is 40x on a 60mm scope - what does this equate to on the 50mm scope - as it's only got 78mm (50x) and 60mm on it? Is it the 27x??

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie to this!! Thanks in advance.

hio harley,

it is possible to mate your camera using either 20mm, 40mm or 50mm prime lens with the scope with special adapter attached on the eyepiece. but using 100-400mm zoom lens to the scope seems to be unpractical due to the weight of the lens + camera body itself which is more than a kilo where as the scope only around 600g

the eyepiece you has is probably 27x for ED50. im not sure either and what type of your eyepiece ?

I think the limiting thing of a 50mm scope will be the lack of light getting through to the camera sensor. For that reason I'd stay with smaller lenses like a 20mm, 24mm or a 28mm. Maybe start with a 28mm and if that's ok you may be able to stretch to a 35mm. I rarely use a 50mm on my dslr unless it's a good bright day. Something like a 20mm may provide so little magnification that it wouldn't be worth it apart from really close up stuff, say 15m range but then for that you may as well stick with the 400mm lens + 1.4X converter..

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - sounds like a non-starter then!! I didn't mean to use the 100-400 with the scope - just mentioned it to compare what difference I might get with the ED50.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back