• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite ED's to replace Vanguard Endeavor ED ii? (1 Viewer)

ksmit123

Hi everyone,

I couldn't decide as to where to post this thread as you'll soon understand.

I recently bought a pair of Vanguard Endeavor ED ii 10x42 binoculars. I have only had the Endeavor ED ii's for less than a week and in short they are great binoculars, even regardless of their great retail price. That being said they do have a few aspects which are an irritation to me.

It has always been apparent to me that binoculars are either a make or break piece of equipment, often regardless of the quality, brand or price.

I'll keep this relatively concise as possible, after all I'm seeking information as much as possible.

I've never had any headaches related to over use of binoculars or spotting scopes before, but during the past few days when I've been using the Endeavor ED ii's, I feel that I have a slight headache after an hour of using the binoculars. I think my headache my also be contributed to my mood, being annoyed at the Endeavor ED ii's and not enjoying myself as much as I hoped.

I'm sure it's predominately due to the fact that Endeavor ED ii's are still new and I'm somewhat getting use to their open/duel hinge design, but I feel they may be to compact for my hands. I have relatively small fingers with large palms and yet my fingers are bunched and cramped. It could be due to my interpupillary distance but even when I'm consciously spacing my fingers they end up touching.

That being said, my primary annoyance lies with the Endeavor ED ii's eye cups. In essence I believe they are too loose. I'm well aware that I'm fussy when it has to do with a piece of equipment that I love. Binoculars included.

Whether the eye cups are completely extended, at either of the two intermediate raised stages or completely collapsed, I believe they are too loose. I'm confident my pair of Endeavor ED ii's aren't damaged, it's just simply a design flaw. For instance, the protective rubber rain guard, although a nice inclusion in the overall package and something that I use a lot especially when the Endeavor ED ii's aren't in use cause the eye cups to rotate out slightly when the rain guards are being removed.

The Endeavor ED ii's eye-cups outward and inward motion is also different from the usual outward and inward rotation/movement. My understanding of the usual rotation being out, stop in the specified grove and either continue rotating outwards or inwards. The Endeavor ED ii's have what I can only describe as a hovering rotation. Maybe someone else who has used or owned a pair of Endeavor ED ii's or another Vanguard binocular can help me describe the rotation motion of the eye-cups.

I'm sure some of you may be thinking that I'm being pedantic, but it's this kind of issue that irritates me a lot. I have been trying to live with this issue and I'll continue to try and make myself like the Endeavor ED ii's, but as I've stated I do like the binoculars but I believe that through regular use the eye-cups may become even looser.

As I stated earlier, I'll try and keep this thread brief. At this point and prior to purchasing the Endeavor ED ii's I was comparing a number of binoculars. Obviously the Vanguard Endeavor ED ii, Nikon Monarch 7, Carl Zeiss Terra ED and the Bushnell Elite ED. All in 10x42 specification.

Each binocular that I listed have their strengths and weakness, but what are members opinions on the binoculars that I have listed? Yes the primary specification/s of a binocular, is the overall view/optical sweet spot (amongst other specifications and aspects) being paramount, but what are members opinions on the smaller, but extremely important aspects of binoculars. Case in point the eye-cups? I clearly prefer tight, sturdy eye-cups that do NOT move unnecessarily, except for the specified outward and inward twist. Another minor example that I like about the Nikon Monarch's I've handled is that lens covers and rain guard appear to grip and stay in place very well.

I'm sure most of you have deduced that I'm seriously contemplating returning the Endeavor ED ii's and buying another pair of binoculars.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Bushnell Elite ED firstly then the Nikon Monarch 7. That being said I have also read reviews of the Bushnell Elite ED's eye-cups collapsing. Has anyone had the experience?

If it is believed that I should relocate this thread to another forum section please don't hesitate to ask.

My price range is from $500 to $600 Australian dollars. I'm not particular loyal to any brand, but I do heavily favour good design and build quality. The more reputable brands are favourable. So, should I consider the Bushnell Elite ED and the Nikon Monarch 7, or should I be looking, researching and considering other brands?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited:
I have the Vanguard EDII also, but I wear specs. The eye relief on these is about a mm too long for me so I fitted an 'O' ring of about that thickness. On some other bins I have up to three rings.

I bought a 50 or 100 (I cannot remember which) pack of mixed sizes of rings for less than £4.00 including postage from fleabay.

The eyecups do not rotate that easily for me but, once you have found the spacing that you want, you can just tighten them down. You could probably fix them in place with clear nail polish.

I would just move to another binocular rather than try and force yourself to like something that is giving you headaches. If I recall the Bushnell elites don't have stops, just screw in and out. On the Nikon I preferred the ergonomics of the M5 over the M7.

I have the Vanguard EDII also, but I wear specs. The eye relief on these is about a mm too long for me so I fitted an 'O' ring of about that thickness. On some other bins I have up to three rings.

I bought a 50 or 100 (I cannot remember which) pack of mixed sizes of rings for less than £4.00 including postage from fleabay.

The eyecups do not rotate that easily for me but, once you have found the spacing that you want, you can just tighten them down. You could probably fix them in place with clear nail polish.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion Wanderer.

So you place a rubber 'O' ring around and under the eyecups to prevent them from moving? The 'O' ring is gripped by the eyecups and therefor doesn't move when knocked or on it's own accord?

I would just move to another binocular rather than try and force yourself to like something that is giving you headaches. If I recall the Bushnell elites don't have stops, just screw in and out. On the Nikon I preferred the ergonomics of the M5 over the M7.

Hi Perterra, yes, that is my plan. It's just irritating when you have your heart set on a product and it ends being less than you hoped. Or in regards to the Vanguard's, something minor but critical to the overall performance and use of the binoculars.

Yes, I'm aware that the Bushnell Elite ED's don't have defined eyecup stops, which has me somewhat concerned in relation to their eyecups tightness and sturdiness, at any position.

Do your hands grasp the Nikon M5 more comfortably as opposed to the Nikon M7? Have you had any experience with Zeiss Terra ED?

Little experience with the Terra other than a quick glance, I prefer the tactile feel, the focus speed, depth of field seems better, eye relief is better for me on the 5. Down side compared to the 7 is narrower field of view.

I never notice the eye cups, I normally set them once and never touch them again. If they move an o ring solves the problem.

I never notice the eye cups, I normally set them once and never touch them again. If they move an o ring solves the problem.

I've read a few posts about 'O' rings being implemented with binocular eyecups. Could you please explain how and what an 'O' ring will/should do?

Is it placed below the eyecup, on the eyecup housing when the eyecup is extended?

Ksmit123,

With the eye cup pulled or twiisted fully out, fit an O ring over the eyecup to fit snugly over the tube. (I usually borrow one or two of my wife's very small crochet hooks or use a couple of paper clips, bending an end). Then roll the O ring tight towards the body of the bin.

If the O ring is about 1mm thick the eyecup when wound in, it will extend from normal by about 1mm. If you need more extension use additional rings until you are successful. Wind in the eyecup as before.

But note that I wear specs and have never needed more than three, on my Viking MD 6x32 bins that have a stated eye relief of 22mm so it seems, for those bins I need 19mm eye relief. YMMV.

I hope this is clearer than mud!

An O-ring of 37.5mm will be a perfect fit for your Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42.

With it's fine focus this is a binocular for which I set the diopter with the binocular mounted on a tripod.

Best wishes,

I have some Bushnell 8x42 Elites and I've put an O ring on mine. Or you could wrap some tape round.
Superb bins and a steel at about £280.

Last edited:
Ksmit123,

With the eye cup pulled or twiisted fully out, fit an O ring over the eyecup to fit snugly over the tube. (I usually borrow one or two of my wife's very small crochet hooks or use a couple of paper clips, bending an end). Then roll the O ring tight towards the body of the bin.

If the O ring is about 1mm thick the eyecup when wound in, it will extend from normal by about 1mm. If you need more extension use additional rings until you are successful. Wind in the eyecup as before.

But note that I wear specs and have never needed more than three, on my Viking MD 6x32 bins that have a stated eye relief of 22mm so it seems, for those bins I need 19mm eye relief. YMMV.

I hope this is clearer than mud!

Still somewhat blurred Wanderer.

Is the 'O' ring expected to be engulfed by the binoculars housing or prevent the eyecup from rotating inwards towards the binocular housing?

An O-ring of 37.5mm will be a perfect fit for your Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42.

With it's fine focus this is a binocular for which I set the diopter with the binocular mounted on a tripod.

Best wishes,

Thank you Samandag. I have already made the decision to return the Vanguard Endeavor ED ii as it has to many irritating aspects for my liking. You like the speed at which the Endeavor ED ii focuses? It was too fast for my liking. I prefer more rotation and a slower speed of the focusing knob.

I have some Bushnell 8x42 Elites and I've put an O ring on mine. Or you could wrap some tape round.
Superb bins and a steel at about £280.

Hi Giosblue,

As I have elucidated towards that I'm interested in the Bushnell Elite ED in 10x42 magnification.

You've had issues with your pair of Bushnell Elite eyecups rotating downwards or being too loose?

I'm becoming more familiar with what an 'O' ring is supposed to do as a retro fit/solution for eyecups but I prefer a binocular that functions as it should, straight out of the box. No need for retro fitting in any aspect or factor. That signifies poor design and craftsmanship.

Thank you Samandag. I have already made the decision to return the Vanguard Endeavor ED ii as it has to many irritating aspects for my liking. You like the speed at which the Endeavor ED ii focuses? It was too fast for my liking. I prefer more rotation and a slower speed of the focusing knob.

When I read post 11 I thought I would take a photo for you but, two minutes later you posted the above - so I won't bother. Horses to water.

The Bushnell Elites are they only bins I have that have the twist up eyecups. All my other are the old rubber push down type. I don't wear glasses so I have them pulled permanently pulled up.

On the Elites you have to twist the eyecups up, before you can retract them, in theory this should make them the stay put. Not sure it does though. I've put O rings on mine just to be sure.
Be sure to let us know what you finally decided on/

Ron

Hi Giosblue,

As I have elucidated towards that I'm interested in the Bushnell Elite ED in 10x42 magnification.

You've had issues with your pair of Bushnell Elite eyecups rotating downwards or being too loose?

I'm becoming more familiar with what an 'O' ring is supposed to do as a retro fit/solution for eyecups but I prefer a binocular that functions as it should, straight out of the box. No need for retro fitting in any aspect or factor. That signifies poor design and craftsmanship.

You may have to spend a little more than you want. They are mass produced items, tight tolerances slow production and cost goes up. My guess is very little hand attention on any I have seen short of the $1,000 mark.

Last edited:
When I read post 11 I thought I would take a photo for you but, two minutes later you posted the above - so I won't bother. Horses to water.

I was going to suggest if you could possibly include some photos demonstrating how and where you install a rubber 'O' ring onto you binoculars.

I and I'm sure others would who aren't familiar with this method would be interested to see. Could you please upload some pictures?

The Bushnell Elites are they only bins I have that have the twist up eyecups. All my other are the old rubber push down type. I don't wear glasses so I have them pulled permanently pulled up.

On the Elites you have to twist the eyecups up, before you can retract them, in theory this should make them the stay put. Not sure it does though. I've put O rings on mine just to be sure.
Be sure to let us know what you finally decided on/

Ron

Yes, in theory a lot is possible. Don't misunderstand me, I'm sure the Bushnell Elite ED's are brilliant binoculars, but irritating, poorly designed factors such as loose eyecups are what causes me to look else where. Hence why I'm considering the Zeiss Terra ED's. Yes, I'm also aware that the Terra ED's are manufactured in China, as opposed to Germany, but I do expect the design and build quality to be that much more higher.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back