• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Preston area (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, I will hopefully be spending 2 or 3 days in Preston in a couple of weeks time. I presume the best spots to spend a day are Martin mere and Leighton moss. Two birds I would like to see are bearded reedlings and bittern. Any other places that might be worth a scan. I will be travelling in my car so won't need public transport.

Regards Gerard.

Marton Mere and Marshside could well be worth a look. Most winters Bittern are as easy at Marton Mere as they are at Leighton Moss, unfortunately this year is an exception but at the moment there are Long-eared Owls, Cetti's Warblers and at least one Iceland Gull.

Stephen

Thanks for the replies. I think I have two full days so a day in Martin and a day in Leighton should keep me going.

Regards Gerard.

Two Meres have been mentioned “Martin Mere” WWT Martin Mere Wetland Centre Nr Southport and “Marton Mere” Blackpool and there is a big difference.

Jim

Thanks Jim, when looking at first I thought they were the same place with a typo mistake but I soon realised they were different spots. The places I will be going to is Martin mere the wwt centre and leighton moss rspb reserve.

Regards Gerard.

Your welcome, Gerard,
I have only been to Martin Mere twice, there is lots to see but it’s not my kind of place I like it better at Leighton moss even though you can’t see a lot over the reeds beds until you get to the hides that aren’t far away :)
There are two new hides at the saltmarsh that I have not been to yet the Allen and Eric Morecambe just down the road good for wintering wildfowl so will have to call in soon myself.

Jim

Common Crane at Martin Mere yday though. :eat:

Martin Mere is mostly about spectacle. Especially at feeding time or when a Peregrine is putting everything up.

For Bearded Tits you'd best stake out the Grit Trays at LM through the morning (located by reeds in a clearing on the right as you walk down to Public Hide).

If you'd like any company for Martin Mere just drop me a PM.

Common Crane at Martin Mere yday though. :eat:

Martin Mere is mostly about spectacle. Especially at feeding time or when a Peregrine is putting everything up.

For Bearded Tits you'd best stake out the Grit Trays at LM through the morning (located by reeds in a clearing on the right as you walk down to Public Hide).

If you'd like any company for Martin Mere just drop me a PM.

Thanks, I will let you know when I will be heading over.

Regards Gerard.

Don't forget Mere Sands at Rufford, they had 3 Bitterns last winter 2 of which where clearly visible from the hides.

Don't forget Mere Sands at Rufford, they had 3 Bitterns last winter 2 of which where clearly visible from the hides.

None this year though and that was a truly exceptional event for the reserve even though Bittern is a visitor most winters. Should get good views of Water Rail though.

Had a wonderful two days birding over the weekend. I went to Leighton moss on the Friday and Martin mere on the Sunday. I had planned on going to brockholes on the Saturday but my wife's uncle got me a ticket to go and see Preston north end play bournmouth afc which Preston won 2-0 which I'm told Preston winning doesn't happen very often.:-O

On Friday the weather was very springlike with lovely sunshine. I was in the reserve 5 minutes and there was a female marsh harrier hunting over the reedbeds. Another 5 minutes later and I had a lifer in a willow tit. The feeding station was bringing in great,blue,long tailed,coal and willow tits plus chaffinches, bullfinches,robins and nuthatches. There was a pair of great spotted woodpeckers mating in the line of trees to the right of the feeding station. Out on the pond there was mallard,teal,wigeon,gadwall,pintail and tufties. There were now two female marsh harriers over the reedbed plus a buzzard flying high. It was also nice to see the red deer on the reserve. Sadly there was no show for the bittern or beardies but I did hear a few pings. As dusk fell there was a male marsh harrier hunting plus a barn owl hunting in the distance.

Sunday was another excellent day weather wise for martin mere and I was greeted by a small family of tree sparrows. From the hides there were numerous duck and geese of the usual suspects. I counted 6 buzzards in total and most of the wildfowl lifted into the air when a peregrine came in close. There was a stoat making its way along the bank of a stream. I had another lifer in the avocets that where on the mere. There were over a dozen ruff plus a black tailed godwit. It was great to get close to these birds from the hides as usually I only see them from a couple of hundred metres away. The whooper swans were all displaying and making a racket which was great to see. Sadly as dusk started to fall it was time to leave as the car park closed at six. Still I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I preferred Leighton moss to Martin mere but both are excellent reserves with great facilities. Both birders and staff at both reserves were very friendly and helpful. I will definitely be returning although without the tripod at Martin mere as a hide clamp would have been more useful there.

Regards Gerard.:t:

Had a wonderful two days birding over the weekend. I went to Leighton moss on the Friday and Martin mere on the Sunday. I had planned on going to brockholes on the Saturday but my wife's uncle got me a ticket to go and see Preston north end play bournmouth afc which Preston won 2-0 which I'm told Preston winning doesn't happen very often.:-O

On Friday the weather was very springlike with lovely sunshine. I was in the reserve 5 minutes and there was a female marsh harrier hunting over the reedbeds. Another 5 minutes later and I had a lifer in a willow tit. The feeding station was bringing in great,blue,long tailed,coal and willow tits plus chaffinches, bullfinches,robins and nuthatches. There was a pair of great spotted woodpeckers mating in the line of trees to the right of the feeding station. Out on the pond there was mallard,teal,wigeon,gadwall,pintail and tufties. There were now two female marsh harriers over the reedbed plus a buzzard flying high. It was also nice to see the red deer on the reserve. Sadly there was no show for the bittern or beardies but I did hear a few pings. As dusk fell there was a male marsh harrier hunting plus a barn owl hunting in the distance.

Sunday was another excellent day weather wise for martin mere and I was greeted by a small family of tree sparrows. From the hides there were numerous duck and geese of the usual suspects. I counted 6 buzzards in total and most of the wildfowl lifted into the air when a peregrine came in close. There was a stoat making its way along the bank of a stream. I had another lifer in the avocets that where on the mere. There were over a dozen ruff plus a black tailed godwit. It was great to get close to these birds from the hides as usually I only see them from a couple of hundred metres away. The whooper swans were all displaying and making a racket which was great to see. Sadly as dusk started to fall it was time to leave as the car park closed at six. Still I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I preferred Leighton moss to Martin mere but both are excellent reserves with great facilities. Both birders and staff at both reserves were very friendly and helpful. I will definitely be returning although without the tripod at Martin mere as a hide clamp would have been more useful there.

Gerard, the Willow Tits you saw at Leighton Moss were probably Marsh Tits. The reserve is well known as a hotspot for this scarce bird.

Glad you enjoyed your trip there. It's one of my favourite reserves.

Yes you are correct. Marsh tits they were. I remember having the conversation with one of the staff and we were chatting about the willow/marsh id. He told me that they were no recorded sightings of willow at Leighton moss so what I would see would be marsh. But for some reason I keep thinking willow.:smoke:marsh tit is still a lifer.;)

Regards Gerard.

You have my deepest sympathies. 8-P

Oh and I thought they have both Tits quite frequently at Leighton Moss now. Been a while since I was last up there.
Nice to hear you bagged some lifers. Sorry about Sunday but I'll make it up to you with a Willow Tit next time you come. :t:

Cheers Jaff, I have a few pics of the marsh tits. I'll post them up on the id section when I get the chance just to be sure.;)

Regards Gerard.

Glad to hear you enjoyed both sites, Gerard, and it was only last year I got a picture of the marsh tit and still need to get a good picture of a marsh harrier :)

cheers
Jim

Hi Jim, The marsh harriers were way out on the reedbeds so a big big lens would have been needed to get a good shot. I got some blurry digiscoped shots of one of the females when it was perched on a tree.

Regards Gerard.

Oh and I thought they have both Tits quite frequently at Leighton Moss now. Been a while since I was last up there.
QUOTE]

The nearest definite Willow Tit sites are probably on the outskirts of Preston, and I don't think there have been any in the Silverdale area for many years.

Gerard, Do you have a black beard? I spoke to a bloke ( I was looking at the siskin and treecreeper) who had an Irish accent and black beard at Leighton moss last Friday.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back