• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher Lodge at Cano Negro vs Laguna del Lagarto Lodge (1 Viewer)

ebwilderae

So if one had to choose and I think I have to between these two destinations could I get some input on pros and cons of each/either. I know I want the Green McCaws but then I also want the Nicaraguan Grackle and Agami Heron and I don't know that I can have both/all. I will do another trip over to Manzanillo but doubt we will be birding very much en route unfortunately. Cost for either place is pretty close so not an issue. We have a somewhat elderly 4x4 so that is no issue either. We are not hard core birders a bit soft I suppose but love to see the birds and photograph when possible. Thanks for any thoughts. My impression is neither place has ac (did I mention we are somewhat soft?) but if so that would sway my wife's vote I am sure. Gracias.

So if one had to choose and I think I have to between these two destinations could I get some input on pros and cons of each/either. I know I want the Green McCaws but then I also want the Nicaraguan Grackle and Agami Heron and I don't know that I can have both/all. I will do another trip over to Manzanillo but doubt we will be birding very much en route unfortunately. Cost for either place is pretty close so not an issue. We have a somewhat elderly 4x4 so that is no issue either. We are not hard core birders a bit soft I suppose but love to see the birds and photograph when possible. Thanks for any thoughts. My impression is neither place has ac (did I mention we are somewhat soft?) but if so that would sway my wife's vote I am sure. Gracias.

I like both places but yes, both are different in terms of birds. I hear you on the AC- I usually bring a small fan to such places in case I need it even though they usually provide one anyways.

So, PROS:
Laguna:
-Some of the best bird photo opps in the country.
-Macaws (although the Green can be missed).
-Good forest with an outside chance at many rare lowland species.
-Good service, Agami Heron, fair chance at a roosting owl or two.
-A bit more comfortable than Kingfisher.

Kingfisher:
-Pretty good birding right around lodge with chance at Bare-crowned Antbird, Pied Puffbird, Common Potoo, Royal Fly, Gray-headed Dove, and Spot-breasted Wren.
-Fair photo opps there and in the village.
-Walk to village for boat ride in Cano Negro.
-Near enough to get the grackle and other specialties at Medio Queso, Cano Negro boat ride, and wetlands on drive in.

CONS
Laguna:
-No grackle nor bittern or other Cano Negro specialties except for Nic Seed Finch and chance at Green and Rufous Kingfisher (same chance as Cano negro really).
-A bit out of the way.

Kingfisher:
-Much less chance at Agami.
-No macaws.
-Hard to find good, quick food around there.
-A bit out of the way.

They kind of equal out, so I think it comes down to which birds you want to see more. Both are pretty nice, I am scheduled to go to Laguna the end of this month, can't wait! I hope to also visit Cano Negro and Kingfisher next month- can't wait for that either!

Many thanks as always Pat for your taking the time for a helpful reply. I have been pouring over your descriptions in your ebook to help me with this as well. You know, a Grackle by any other name is just...
Green McCaw is a primary target as is Agami Heron which together with the slight increase in comfort my wife and I will enjoy sways me to Laguna at this point. Obviously a need to do both exists :)

On another topic we drove almost to Monteverde yesterday. Almost b/c I turned around when we were at sustained winds of 45 kph [Cheri used to be a hot-air balloon pilot so knows her wind] and I could almost not see the road for the dust clouds and it felt like our light car was about to be blown off the road. I extrapolated that even with half that much wind at Monteverde we would not be seeing many birds. Is February or March any less windy up there? We have had good winds here in Colon so I should have guessed :-0 Cheers

So we have settled on Lagarta for the 4-6th of February. Then to El Colibri near Manzanillo for 4 days on Feb 14. Maybe someone else will be over that way as well. Will try to get back up to Monteverde assuming/hoping the wind dies down the last week of February.

So we have settled on Lagarta for the 4-6th of February. Then to El Colibri near Manzanillo for 4 days on Feb 14. Maybe someone else will be over that way as well. Will try to get back up to Monteverde assuming/hoping the wind dies down the last week of February.

The wind should be better then. It was at its strongest this past week- crazy!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back