• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lowland Sooty Boubou? / Uganda (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
They are 2 different individuals.

Thanks for the input!

Jose

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.31.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.31.22 PM.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.31.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.31.35 PM.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 62
It could be Northern Black Flycatcher.

I've seen records of Lowland Sooty Boubou on eBird for the Botanical Gardens, though I don't know how reliable these records are.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jose

Last edited:
Yes, I submitted the entry yesterday thinking for sure it was LSB, but I have my doubts now. I'll delete it right away if confirm otherwise. I shared the pics with some local guides for advice too. Jose

Yes, I submitted the entry yesterday thinking for sure it was LSB, but I have my doubts now. I'll delete it right away if confirm otherwise. I shared the pics with some local guides for advice too. Jose

I'd leave it for now, if it's not possible there, the local ebird moderator will remove it.

It's a nice little spot and does throw up some surprises occasionally.

That's funny. I'd say eBird is usually accurate.

It seems the bird is in fact Northern Black Flycatcher. The clue, as you pointed out, was in the beak. :t:

We had a couple of species rejected as 'not occuring' through ebird in Rwanda.

Black Kite and Yellow-crowned Canary.

Would that not be Yellow-billed Kite occurring there?
Regarding eBird accuracy, I was dismayed to find that eBird Cassowary House list for N Queensland was a ludicrous 213 species, whereas Black Mountain Road nearby was the more or less correct 91 (delete Bowers Shrikethrush and Atherton Scrubwren from it). The other is a mire of misidentifications and data from the wrong localities (Freckled Duck and Pink-eared Duck!) but being wrong by something like 90 species is astonishing (the total is actually about 120, not 213). I have written 3 times to ebird about it and offered to fix it, but have had no reply, so much for citizen science......

I suspect the first image shows a Dusky tit and the flycatcher suggestion looks about right for the second bird.
More images of both birds wouldn’t hurt though...

Thanks for the feedback, Tib78. You may be right about the Dusky Tit. The redish eye looks a bit suspicious.

Some new pics of both birds. First 3 for the possible 'Dusky' and the other 2 for the Flycatcher.

Jose

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.40.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.40.32 AM.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.40.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.40.43 AM.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.41.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.41.07 AM.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.41.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.41.37 AM.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.41.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.41.48 AM.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
I suspect the first image shows a Dusky tit and the flycatcher suggestion looks about right for the second bird.
More images of both birds wouldn’t hurt though...

There are no records of Dusky Tit at this location.

Tail and bill might suggest a Weaver, doesn't look like a Tit to me?

Last edited:
Would that not be Yellow-billed Kite occurring there?
Regarding eBird accuracy, I was dismayed to find that eBird Cassowary House list for N Queensland was a ludicrous 213 species, whereas Black Mountain Road nearby was the more or less correct 91 (delete Bowers Shrikethrush and Atherton Scrubwren from it). The other is a mire of misidentifications and data from the wrong localities (Freckled Duck and Pink-eared Duck!) but being wrong by something like 90 species is astonishing (the total is actually about 120, not 213). I have written 3 times to ebird about it and offered to fix it, but have had no reply, so much for citizen science......

Commonly yes, we had three birds passing over us, we were at c2000m ay Nyungwe, they looked like Black Kites and we assumed they were migrating but were told it's 'not possible' at this site.

Well I did think the bill looked thick for the tit but put this on the blurriness of the pic. But anyway with the new pics it’s clear it’s not a Dusky tit....so, juvenile Grey-headed nigrita.

We do not have a photo of a juvenile Grey-headed nigrita in the gallery, please upload the best of these

Niels

Eureka! Thank you all the valuable feedback!

Please let me know if you need any of the pics in higher resolution.

Cheers B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back