• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

German Treecreeper (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Dare I ask... Eurasian Treecreeper or Short-Toed Treecreeper? Outskirts of Hamburg.

Here's a video of the bird calling: https://youtu.be/VbEsJrzvlYk I didn't recognise the call so I was erring to short-toed?

Attachments

• P1450202 (2).jpg
    P1450202 (2).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 51
Can I ask what the ID features are that clinch this :) ? I have nooo idea how to tell these apart
Three points to note:

1. That it is fairly whitish on its lower flanks; Short-toed is duskier, browner there. Not 100% reliable difference, but easiest first clue from a distance on a silent bird.

2. For confirmation, look at the exact shape of that pale band on the wing; note there's a slight split in it near the lower left end (arrowed red below). Short-toed doesn't have that. Not visible on a moving bird on a tree, needs close-up still photos to see, but is diagnostic.

3. Best of all: the calls are different.

Edit: forgot to add pic!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Eurasian Treecreeper for me too, calls on video are not Short-toed, which have a clearer lower pitched piping call, reminiscent in a way to the tone of Coal Tit's calls.

The thin note at 2 secs is truncated/clipped rather than drawn out, doesn't sound like ET to me but rather a call of Robin. :)

The thin note at 2 secs is truncated/clipped rather than drawn out, doesn't sound like ET to me but rather a call of Robin. :)

Actually I agree- hasty on my part (my excuse is our abundant wintering Robins are yet to arrive, and then their sounds will be everywhere)

Thanks ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back