• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My New Zeiss (2 Viewers)

and...

I was reading through the thread and I was not able to discern if anyone had just congratulated you on your new binoculars...so congratulations and enjoy them in good health.

john

Just returned from a weeks Birding in an unusually sunny and hot Wales including a day at Ynys-hir,

"Ynis-hir"??? That sounds suspiciously like the Irish Gaelic "Inis Oírr" (pronounced "Inish-ear"). What does it mean in Welsh?
BTW, I have FL 8x32 and find them hard to beat. I once looked through Conquests and was left under-whelmed.

"Ynis-hir"??? That sounds suspiciously like the Irish Gaelic "Inis Oírr" (pronounced "Inish-ear"). What does it mean in Welsh?
BTW, I have FL 8x32 and find them hard to beat. I once looked through Conquests and was left under-whelmed.

It means "Long Island".

Not all Conquests are equal, the two ABK prism models are well ahead of the others and IMO all but equal the Victory except for C/A.

Well not sure if I`v done the right thing but I`v traded the Conquest for a new Victory 8x32 Fl as the weight of the Conquest has been really aggravating my old neck problem.

I`v adjusted my Conquest review slightly, I`m man enough to admit when I`m wrong, I had`nt realised just how much c/a was present until it was absent with the Victory.

I would have loved to go 7x Victory, but there was no weight saving, likewise an SE, but as Sancho posted elsewhere, when you live in a really damp and humid place its just not as practical.

Yes Dennis I know its not as good as an Sv, which isnt as good as an EDG, which suddenly isnt as good as an SE, but frankly I don`t give a s**t.

Hopefully it will be a good move, it was discounted to £975 brand new at LCE Exeter and I got a good trade on the Conquest.

Not going to post any comments on it optically it been done better by others on here.

Well not sure if I`v done the right thing but I`v traded the Conquest for a new Victory 8x32 Fl as the weight of the Conquest has been really aggravating my old neck problem.

I`v adjusted my Conquest review slightly, I`m man enough to admit when I`m wrong, I had`nt realised just how much c/a was present until it was absent with the Victory.

I would have loved to go 7x Victory, but there was no weight saving, likewise an SE, but as Sancho posted elsewhere, when you live in a really damp and humid place its just not as practical.

Yes Dennis I know its not as good as an Sv, which isnt as good as an EDG, which suddenly isnt as good as an SE, but frankly I don`t give a s**t.

Hopefully it will be a good move, it was discounted to £975 brand new at LCE Exeter and I got a good trade on the Conquest.

Not going to post any comments on it optically it been done better by others on here.

Congrats on the FL's. Once you start using them, there will be no regrets. I love my 7x FL's. Wouldn't trade them for nothing. Look into a good binocular harness. I use the 7's with a leupold binoculars harness and I don't even notice the weight. It has elastic bands and quick release clips to attach the bins.

and...

love my 10x32s, they have become a cherished companion. I just wish I could afford to buy more victory fl series while they are available. Enjoy them in good health and congratulations!

John

Congrats on the new fl 8x32. I have recently acquired a pair and I'm really impressed with them. I have a neck problem aswell and the compact lightweight size is really beneficial when carrying for long periods. Enjoy,

Ger.

Torview,
Other binoculars may have sharper edges, but I can't imagine a cleaner central view than in the FL. They're light weight an easy handling too. You did right well.
Ron

I once tested the Zeiss 8x40 ABK against the Pentax's best 8x50 and the Zeiss was just as bright with a 10mm smaller objective. Both looked really top notch, that was a great price you got too.

Idaho_John 10x32's have caught my interest. I'm thinking they're probably bright enough at this point. Any thoughts or comparisons on that point? Plus they have a 360ft FOV which must look incredible.

Thanks for the positive comments, I`v been out on Dartmoor this evening, really beautiful weather at the moment, quite unlike the Moor really, even above 500m its 20C+, I`m really bonding with the Fl, it may be one of the truly great all rounders, its amazing what effectively zero C/A brings to an image.

Torview:
I'd been following your experiences with the Zeiss Conquest 8x40 (AK) and by chance saw one for sale on UK eBay yesterday. It was at £360 with a few hours to go, so I put it on my 'watch list', even though I expected the price to go much higher. I forgot to check progress until it was too late and, to my dismay, found it had sold for that same price, £360!
Not that I'm unhappy with my second Conquest 8x30, which seems better than the one I'd had a year or two ago, especially focus smoothness, but your posts had persuaded me that the 8x40 (AK) version was brighter and perhaps worth hankering after...
Now that you've 'gone the whole hog' and acquired a Zeiss FL, I feel a little deflated as I fear this aspiration is beyond my purse, never having paid more than £425 for a binocular (a late 1980s Zeiss 10x40 BGAT* from which I intend never to be parted).
So, perhaps you can ease my chagrin by describing how you are bonding with your Zeiss 8x32 FL and how it compares generally with the Conquest 8x40 (AK)?

Hi James, I will say the main reason I changed was to reduce weight, otherwise I would have happily kept the 40mm Conquest, which I found to seriously outperform the 30mm, I`m not criticising the 30mm its very good, just not in the 40m`s league, IMO.

However, I was blissfully unaware of just how much C/A was present with the 40mm until I got the Victory, its not quite as bright as the ABK Conquest, but in all other area`s its better. Incredibly bright for a 32mm, I tried one side by side with my 30mm Conquest at Titchwell, amazing difference, the focus is nicer, the handling`s a joy, its a really polished performer, I never tried the 7x42, but the 8x32 IMO is probably the all rounder in the range.

If you`re willing to pay the Fl`s asking price its hard to find a weakness, I`ll really never "need" another binocular, so it becomes good value, hunt around, I paid only £975 for mine, brand spanking new.

I was gradually seduced by a pair of Zeiss 8x32FL's that lurked in my local 'In Focus' shop at Rutland Water very recently...

Even though i've been very happy with the Nikon 8x32HG's for quite some time i could not help but keep comparing the two binoculars...and i finally 'cracked' the other day when the price dropped to £899....courtesy of Simon King and his limited edition...[cheers Simon]...B :)

I was not willing, nor really able, to pay top dollar for the FL's...[ranging from £1250 to over £1400]...so when i was offered an excellent trade in price for my Nikons i could not stop the words coming out of my mouth..."deal done"!!

There were only 4 pairs left of the Simon King limited edition 8x32FL's on sale when i did the deal...and i heard the next day that they had all been snapped up....[not surprisingly]...

The reasons i decided to change bins are many...not least of all the tactile lightweight feel...and obviously the image....:cat:

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Congrats on the purchase, I`m sure you`re going to cherish them. I really like the green colour to the armour on the SK edition, honestly if a Victory can be had for around £900 they represent incredible value when compared to the price of direct competition.

Congrats on the purchase, I`m sure you`re going to cherish them. I really like the green colour to the armour on the SK edition, honestly if a Victory can be had for around £900 they represent incredible value when compared to the price of direct competition.

Although top end binocular prices have risen crazily in recent times i do think the deal i got represented incredible value...:cat:

ps...lovin' the bins already...marvelous things....:t:

This past Thursday I underwent a Root Canal while staring up at an arm of the contraption above my chair upon which I could read the word ZEISS in large black letters. Today I had to go back to to get it reopened to relieve pressure, not to say pain, and again above me I could read that foul black word ZEISS:C

I do not think that I ever will be able to give a fair evaluation of one of their binoculars should I ever be able to afford one after I pay my Dentist's bill.

Bob

Last edited:
This past Thursday I underwent a Root Canal while staring up at an arm of the contraption above my chair upon which I could read the word ZEISS in large black letters. Today I had to go back to to get it reopened to relieve pressure, not to say pain, and again above me I could read that foul black word ZEISS:C

I do not think that I ever will be able to give a fair evaluation of one of their binoculars should I ever be able to afford one after I pay my Dentist's bill.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry to read! I guess Zeiss should better print `Swarovski´ onto their dentist's equipment :)

Cheers,
Holger

Bob

Sympathies Bob....i've had my fair share of such pain....[plus the added pain of high cost for similar procedures]....ouch...:eek!:

As soon as they lay me down on the dentists chair i shut my eyes....;)

Bob

Poor old Bob, get well soon, but while convalescing don't bother watching Grey's Anatomy or House MD on tv as there are regular appearances by ZEISS medical kit in both.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back