• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Funny Behaviour! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Taylor

:frog: Hi There.
While watching birds feeding in my garden,i kept a close eye on this first time
vistor to my garden.The bird in question was a coal tit.I watched this bird closely
it would go to the feeder,which had sunflower hearts in,take one seed then fly
to a tree hide the seed in a crevice then return for another,then it would fly to
the fence and hide the seed in a gap and so on.This coal tit was also burying the
seed in the ground.I have not seen this behaviour before and i would be intrested if any other members had witnessed this behaviour.

Regards
Jeff Taylor

Hi Jeff.
this is normal for the little tits, we had one on sat
doing the same and then a great tit would sneak
up to its hide away and pinch the hidden food!!!
bert.

The Coalies here always do this too, they also find them when the feeders are busy and they can't get to them. Pretty clever little fellas.

Hi Jeff,

I've heard about Coal Tits doing this but have never actually seen them... I have however surmised that they are at it, as I watch a CT take a sunflower heart, fly off to some dark corner, but then be back for another within 10-20 secs or so.... too soon to have actually eaten it!!!

In summer, I spent hours sitting in the sun halfway between the door to our caravan, and the feeder. Watching 2 or 3 Coal Tits land on the feeder, pick up sunflower hearts, and then hide them in the door locks, the hinges and any other nooks and crannies they can find around the van. They never seem to fly more than 30 yds or so, to hide the seed. They are never scared of the Greenfinches, unlike the other Tits. They just bide their time, and when a port is empty, they perform their smash and grab, and take off like a miniature spitfire. Brilliant entertainment.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back