• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saker Falcon Sichuan - ID confirmation (1 Viewer)

china guy

A taff living in Sichuan
Large Falcon type flying over us at Wawu - a murky, misty day, couldn't get too many colours. Anyone else go with Saker for this bird???

All the best Sid

Attachments

• saker.jpg
    saker.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 175
Cheers Mark - I think you've hit that one on the nose - I reckon I must be getting towards owing you drink or two when you get out this way!!!!

All the best Sid

Agree with Mark, hehe.

I recommend a book a Field Guide to the Raptors of Taiwan. The book give some silhouettes of raptors.

Agree with Mark, hehe.

I recommend a book a Field Guide to the Raptors of Taiwan. The book give some silhouettes of raptors.

Looks good for GFB for me. I've been working with satellite tagged GFBs since Oct 2007. Sid, if possible could you give me details of the sighting as if it is late March-early April it is of interest. Was it a single bird?

The plates, silhouettes and ratios in Raptors of Taiwan are good and valuable info even if you can't read Mandarin.

Looks good for GFB for me. I've been working with satellite tagged GFBs since Oct 2007. Sid, if possible could you give me details of the sighting as if it is late March-early April it is of interest. Was it a single bird?

The plates, silhouettes and ratios in Raptors of Taiwan are good and valuable info even if you can't read Mandarin.

Does seem rather early...a good record?

I guess I thought it was slightly early because we're still getting them coming through Hebei in May, thankfully, as they're great birds.

They start moving through Baguashan in western Taiwan from mid March and peak during the last week of March and finish mid April. The birds heading into Fujian do the Taiwan Strait crossing in a single flight and then start heading into the Chinese interior. They appear to slow down a lot then and can move northwards very slowly. The RRGT is tracking a GFB and it crossed the Strait into Fujian on 3/21. By 4/9 it had only traveled to the Jiangxi/Zhejiang/Fujian border area. It started its migration from central Luzon on 3/15 and was on the northern Luzon coast on 3/18. Sadly, the GFB that my team had tracked south to Mindanao in the southern Philippines in October last autumn vanished on 3/25 while heading north in the Negros-Panay area.

I've just got back from the trip - so just got to look at this thread again.

We made the sighting on the 8th April - there were 2 birds.

During our birding, all we were carrying was MacK.........looks like I need that Taiwan book!!!

I've just got back from the trip - so just got to look at this thread again.

We made the sighting on the 8th April - there were 2 birds.

During our birding, all we were carrying was MacK.........looks like I need that Taiwan book!!!

or anything but Mack ;)

Don't be so cruel Rockfowl - that book has its uses - for example I've found a weighty edition of MacK a very good throwing weapon when faced with an angry Yak or an over excited Panda B :)

On a more sombre note - lets hope these birds made it further North - since hunting migrating raptors with home-made guns is quite a past-time in Sichuan!!!!
These pics of illegal guns were taken in the province a couple of months back - this problem is widespreard - with raptors and game-birds being the main victims of the poaching.

Attachments

• hunters.JPG
    hunters.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 54
Don't be so cruel Rockfowl - that book has its uses - for example I've found a weighty edition of MacK a very good throwing weapon when faced with an angry Yak or an over excited Panda B :)

Interestingly, I would estimate that perhaps ~90% of all Chinese birds (disregrading the various splits that have gained acceptance after MacK was published, which we obviously cannot blame on any field guide author) can be identified relatively easily via the MacK by the average European/US birder visiting China. That figure may not be satisfactory, but puts it at league with the guides currently available for Argentina, above any of the guides currently available for Brazil, and certainly also above its predecessor, The Birds of China by de Schauensee, where many species had no illustration at all. Arguably even more interesting, some of the people (just for the record, no one involved in this thread) that have been most harsh in their criticism of MacK have the knowledge, yet have published few - if any - papers regarding field identification of Chinese birds, let alone taken significant part in the task of making a better guide. Hmm!? Anyhow, I certainly also look forward to the upcomming field guide to China, but despite its shortcomings MacK did have its place - especially considering the other available options.

(china guy - those guns look almost as dangerous to the person using them as to whatever they're aiming at. Unfortunately I guess that's not the case)

Last edited:
Well as the old saying goes - when it rains a GFB or two then they start to pour down!!!!
We're off on another expedition - this time in the far NE of Sichuan - and one of the first birds we spotted this morning was GFB - in fact we got two of them.
So here are are own series of silhouettes for this raptor.

Rasmus those blasted guns are a great danger to the local bird population - our hotel owner sweeps the foyer out with a brush made from the tail feathers of Golden Pheasant!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back