• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info needed re: splits - old world (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

In a very similar vein to my neotropic thread (don't know why i started two really..)

Any info on the following splits, principally regarding the distributions of the split forms??

Intermediate, yellow-billed and plumed egrets (Mesophoyx intermedia, brachyrhyncha, plumifera)

Franklin's and savanna nightjars (Caprimulgus monticolus and C. affinis)

Small and little minivets (Pericrocotus cinnamomeus and P. peregrinus)

and less precisely

Shikra - any information re: putative splits particularly as they affect the african types sphenurus and polyzonoides

Common bulbul - any information

Village weaver - any information

cheers,

James

To be honest I think most of these are debatable and rarely accepted. South African 'authorities' seem keener on splitting than most others.
Maybe the nightjars is the most convincing?

Steve

James,
I suggest you download the new Roberts' List and work from there though that would only give you the taxonomy work done lately. It should be somewhere on the Percy Fitzpatrick Institute site. For the distributions, I really don't know what to tell you as many of those you mention are not limited to only southern Africa - I imagine you would have to do lit searches at the library for the most current information.

James,
the Clements checklist in the 2000 version contains distribution of all subspecies; of course only to the extent that data was known to JF Clements! The new revised version is expected to have the same info; Amazon should start shipping in February if I remember correctly. Updates relative to the 2000 version can be found online at http://www.ibispub.com/updates.html.

Hope this helps
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back