• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow or Marsh Tit? Beijing, China (1 Viewer)

Lerxst

Poor picture from this weekend. Being from the States, I have no experience in Willow vs. Marsh. Based on my reading, I am calling this Willow, but would love some confirmation. Cannot see here but the wing panel had light edging. Head looked more dark brown than black. Bib seems shaggy to me. What I'm trying to decide is if the white in the bill is present. Sadly I don't think the pic is good enough to say. Anyway, thanks for looking....

https://legallyblindbirding.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dscn5440.jpg?w=2560

Michael, despite the quality of the image, I am seeing the diagnostic basal white spot to the bill and would conclude (brevirostris) Marsh https://www.shanghaibirding.com/tag/marsh-tit/ the resedent form of 'Willow' is stoetzneri included in the Songar group by some, classified as ssp of Willow by IOC. This form is apparently darker with a browner cap, lacks a wing panel and has an extensive bib which extends to sides, enclosing white cheeks.

Grahame

Last edited:
Also the bib is rather neat and compact as opposed to being relatively "diffused" . I understand the bib tends to differ somewhat in this way between the Marsh and Willow species.

Thats better Michael, the brown cap, warm underparts, short T6 and lack of bill spot (presumably artefact in OP) look better for stoetzneri Willow. It has also been variously treated as a ssp. of Songar Tit and, I notice by 'Birding Beijing' as Sichuan Tit P.wegoldicus which, according to IOC, is monotypic and restricted to WC/SWC China.

Grahame

Last edited:
I note that in particular, the montage of new images show a bird that has “Dusky” underparts which in the UK (kleinschmidti) would be perhaps a better fit for Willow Tit, as Marsh Tits are normally much cleaner looking.

Cheers

The photos posted by Lerxst show a stoetzneri WILLOW TIT, the form resident in the mountains around Beijing. It's scarce in lowland parts of the capital where it is generally replaced by Marsh Tit. The two are relatively easy to separate here given the more brownish cap, larger bib and some colour on the flanks of Willow.. Marsh is much cleaner and with a blacker cap and smaller bib. Thanks to Lerxst for alerting me to this post and for the photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back