• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At last.... (1 Viewer)

Just a thought, I think we should start a single thread, like a generic gallery thread for showing off the best that these scopes can do and then all these great pics will be in one place. Maybe get a moderator to sticky it. Would be a good place to send newcomers to as well, just to show them the capabilities of astro scopes.

Paul.

Nice and the light is really good agian, Nuthatch is really nice. We get Dippers near here where I live but I've never got to go and see them yet. Ordered myself some camo netting today so hopefully will get some good close shots of birds this year.

Paul.

Thanks. I'm sure with the camo you will get really close. I have a baghide as well, but found it to be - besides hot in summer - not as versatile as I thought it would be. One can only see straight forward, and it works if what you're shooting is there...
I know have used the baghide over the tripod and my stool and half of me, and masking my upper body/head with net/hat leaving me free to move and see all directions, still remaining "in hide". However, the best equipment for hides, is patience...(which I have to work on) :-O:-O

Just a thought, I think we should start a single thread, like a generic gallery thread for showing off the best that these scopes can do and then all these great pics will be in one place. Maybe get a moderator to sticky it. Would be a good place to send newcomers to as well, just to show them the capabilities of astro scopes.

Paul.

Agree. Was'nt sure if I should post in this thread, or start a new one. so, a gallery-thread would be nice.

Paul.

Paul,

That's a good idea. I suggest to attach some data like ISO, shutter speed, scope & camera model, TC, telenegative or prime if its not too tedious. So others can learn some techniques from the different settings.

tbc

Thank you, both.
What should we call the thread?

"Astro telescope gallery"

"Sample gallery with astroscopes"

"Yadda yadda" ?

Brilliant shots the more photos I see taken with scopes the more I ask myself why I have been looking at a £1200 lens.

Brilliant shots Cango. Most would thought you shot this with a standard prime lens with the bird a couple of inches away.

A gallery showcasing what the Astroscope are capable of would greatly promote use of such equipment for birding. Hopefully with the additional generated interest, we can improve further. I am all up for such a gallery with additional features for adding in Exif manually.

Magnificent !

I like the idea of the best shots in a gallery. I think yourself, Paul and Fernando should kick it off, as these will undoubtedly be the best of the bunch and show off the scopes at their best

Magnificent !

I like the idea of the best shots in a gallery. I think yourself, Paul and Fernando should kick it off, as these will undoubtedly be the best of the bunch and show off the scopes at their best

Thanks, but personally I didn't think of a "best shot" gallery, but a gallery for all shots that shows what the scope can do, which not always coincides with a "best shot" (and a "best shot" can be a personal taste thing also) A have good focused and sharp photos of a bird, but with a twig in front of it's head - the photo shows clearly the strength of the scope, but not my composition strength ;-) (might been trigger happy, as they say)

So, my take on this is:
Shots that shows the strength of a scope - as well as scope/camera combo, and with/without converter, barlow or telenegative. Long range, or short range. Good lightning, bad lightning (this is perhaps more a camera/iso thing, but with a f7.5 scope it's clearly one of it's weaknesses - we need good light)

Not to mention that the manual focusing puts much test on the person behind the scope as well as the viewfinder of the camera. We know that the scope has good glass, but good glass does not solely make the photo. There are too many variables on a "best shot" (besides personal taste) so I think we should show the strength of the scope.

Another sticky, should be a "set up" sticky. What adapters to use, what heads etc etc. We all shoot different cameras, and that's good, since it shows that it is the scope and not a specific camera that is the most important. (NOT taking away the importance of a good camera, but most of todays cameras produces good results if you know your tool.)

I can see your point about good/sharp shots that have twigs in front of them, yes, but other than that, soft photos are not going to help anyone.

Soft or not such good shots from user error affect every lens on the planet, so this isnt going to segregate out the scope at all.

If there's enough interest in the gallery, then everybody who has what they call their best shot will show what the scope can do, because those shots will all be very different anyways. Subjective if you like, as you say, we all see good shots differently.

I see little point in posting shots of what a scope cant do.

I like your idea of knowing what the owner used regarding adapters/ tubes, and other such stuff. That would be very useful to beginners - and me. Still learning here

Last edited:
Would love to see a gallery of images from these scopes before parting with my hard earned cash. Mind you from what I have seen so far I wont really need convincing.

I can see your point about good/sharp shots that have twigs in front of them, yes, but other than that, soft photos are not going to help anyone.
No, soft no. Didn't meant that.
Soft or not such good shots from user error affect every lens on the planet, so this isnt going to segregate out the scope at all.
Agree.
If there's enough interest in the gallery, then everybody who has what they call their best shot will show what the scope can do, because those shots will all be very different anyways. Subjective if you like, as you say, we all see good shots differently.
agree
I see little point in posting shots of what a scope cant do.

yes, of course. Those shots wont exist either.. ;-)
I like your idea of knowing what the owner used regarding adapters/ tubes, and other such stuff. That would be very useful to beginners - and me. Still learning here

same here, still learning. I would suggest a separate thread for such information with pics, if possible.

I agree with Cango too. It's not about a competition of the best shots and the best photographer whatsoever. But with shots contribution from Paul and Cango, they set the standard of what the scope can do. Manually adding in exifs would be handy as not only the usual exifs are included but also the gears used and also the location and humidity.

No one mentioned a competition, but if anyone is going to post pics of their scope photos, they will obviously post what they think is their best shots, with regards to IQ only, to show what the scope can do, after all ..thats the reason for a gallery.

As cango already said, it doesnt matter about composition [ twigs in the way or whatever , ] but only how good the IQ of each scope is

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back