• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pygmy Woodpecker, KL, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Laurie Knight

G'day,

This chap was in the port carpark. Is it a Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker?

Regards, Laurie.

Attachments

• Pygmy Woodpecker1.jpg
    Pygmy Woodpecker1.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Pygmy Woodpecker2.jpg
    Pygmy Woodpecker2.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 29
I tried to find the Sunda Woodpecker, aka. Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker in my woodpecker guide, "Woodpeckers, An Identification Guide to the Woodpeckers of the World", Winkler, Christie & Nurney. I could not seem to find it? Is the binominal for this bird, Picoides moluccensis or has that been changed?

Well it has been quite a search for me! I did finally find out (I think) what I was looking for in the bird guide I mentioned above, "Woodpeckers of the World". On page 88, on plate # 26 I found illustrations/text of Picoides moluccensis, aka. Brown-capped Woodpecker.

This guide list five (5) subspecies of the bird: P.m. nanus, P.m. cinereigula, P.m. gymnopthalmus, P.m. moluccensis, P.m. grandis.

I suppose the Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker/Sunda Woodpecker, Dendrocopos moluccensis) may be one of these subspecies.

*Woodpeckers, don't you just love'm or hate'm!

** I just like being able to put a name to a bird. Sometimes it is difficult to keep up with the lumping/splitting which seems to just keep going on!

Larry, again according to Opus the current two sub-species of Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker & three sub-species of Brown-capped Woodpecker were once considered conspecific.

This investigation was worthwhile. Sunda pygmy woodpecker, must figure on a lot of revised lists. It seems to have a penchant for even poor quality, especially coastal scrub, with nearby remnant mangrove patches, in both peninsula and island Malaysia. I have even found nesting birds in the stumps of large introduced acacia trees. Never see it in full climax, secondary forest? Still unsure what role brown-capped woodpecker, now plays, ecologically.

Clements changed the name in the 4th Edition
Clements 3rd edition:
Brown-capped Woodpecker ( Dendrocopos moluccensis)
Clements 4th edition:
Sunda Woodpecker ( Dendrocopos moluccensis)

The IOC still name it
IOC World Bird Names, version 1.0:
Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker ( Dendrocopos moluccensis)
IOC World Bird Names, version 5.04:
Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker ( Dendrocopos moluccensis)

Sibley and Monroe have called it Sundra Woodpecker since 1993

Ebird have changed it in version 1.54

eBird version 1.53:
Brown-capped Woodpecker (Sunda) ( Dendrocopos moluccensis [moluccensis Group])
eBird version 1.54:

Birdlife checklist changed from Picoides to Dendrocopus in Feb 2014

Birdlife checklist version 06.1 (Feb 2014):
Sunda Woodpecker ( Dendrocopos moluccensis) [version 1]
Birdlife checklist version 07 (Jul 2014):
Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker ( Picoides moluccensis)

So the majority of authorities now go with Sunda and Dendrocopus,....till the next time:-O

Maybe we should just call it the black and white woodpecker with the brownish cap! Have you seen one? ;-)
Oh well, I guess it keeps life interesting! What will be the nomenclature a month or two from now!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back