• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

feeders on balcony/porch? (1 Viewer)

Sol_S

Hi!

I live in a second-story apartment. l started feeding birds last week, but quickly stopped when my wife saw the MESS they were making! l would like to continue, but l can't think of any way around this problem. Either the mess will land on the floor of our porch/balcony, which the kids love to play on, or they perch on the railing and their mess splatters down to the neighbours below! What can l do?

Not sure, but may offer only sunflower hearts/chips. No hulls and very little mess. However, you'll still have to deal with bird poo, and there's no way around that as far as I know. ;)

Oh, sorry, Katy, l wasn't very clear. It is the droppings that is the problem. Thank you for replying.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Hi Sol,

I can see no way around this either.It's hard work looking after the birds and also ensuring the neighbours are happy.

For me it's easy as I use a jet wash and live in a house with gardens.

You obviously want to keep the neighbours happy and on the other hand need to keep the balcony clean.In your position I am afraid I would give up.

I don't think it will be easy but I wish you luck - in that someone can come up with a solution.

Thank you, Mary, for your reply. Yep, it does suck! But thanks also for the luck - l do hope soemone has an idea...

Maybe a tarp or garbage bag held down with rocks under the feeder would work? Something that could catch the droppings and then be removed when people want to enjoy the balcony.

Hi Sol I did balcony feeding for many years at 9 floors up.We fed many songbirds including hummingbirds since we grew flowers.We were visited by interesting insect guests like butterflies and praying mantis.The annoying part was the pigeons.We never had problems with squirrels or chipmunks.Just had to take the bitter with the sweet.
Sam

Sara, l considered doing that - but the birds will perch on nearby railings and walls and drop their droppings on and near them, too. Oh, dear...:(

Thanks, Sam. It always surprises me how the birds manage to find out about new feeders - even if they're 9 stories up! How do they find you?

But at least that's one worry gone. We don't have chipmunks here, but no squirrrels or cats is great.

So, back to the original question; what did you do about the birds' droppings everywhere?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back