• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

We saw the Audouin's Gull (1 Viewer)

Attached another pic' taken yesterday (5th).

Mark

Attachments

• audouin\'s gull.jpg
    audouin\'s gull.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Went for the Audouin's gull on Tuesday 6th and 'blew it away'

A very special bird, top marks to the finder of it!!!

More images on my web-site.

Attachments

• 149t1872.jpg
    149t1872.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 212
Nigel,
All I can say is WOW. This pic illustrates just about all of the id features of this bird. Although nothing to do with the id, the details of the edges of the secondaries, all beautifully in line and the white axillaries with that gap inboard of the the secondaries. The 'bumps' on the head are finely illustrated and the overalll impression of a powerful bird is well shown. Thanks for the picture Nigel. I'm off you your website for some more.

Colin

Nigel,
Ping, I am back from your website where I see you make the understatement....."a good day". To my mind, the egg and chips, the fish and chips and the pint makes a good day but the bird, well it has to be a "special" day at least. In fact, in my book, if I had been there it would rank in my top ten best ever days from what you describe and it seems that you put in a good few hours and were rewarded with a good few hours. Thanks for being able to see the bird in pictures.

Colin

Hi Colin
It was indeed an awesome day, I did suffer from a bout of 'ornithological tourettes syndrome' for a good few moments after getting those pictures, I was totally blown away by it.

Nigel

Nigel,
I can imagine the euphoria on the day. A clenched fist, waved in the air and a "Yeeesssss" at least.

Michael,
Look on the bright side. Yes, it appears to have gone from that location but it may move to a nearer place to you. I am looking forward to it coming up the Severn Estuary as it circumnavigates GB so you should see it soon!?

Colin

That'd be a good one Colin - but will it go clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Must admit, I can't really complain either, what with Swinhoe's Petrel, Wilson's Petrel, Fea's Petrel and Lesser Crested Tern all on my Northumbs seabird list!

Michael

Not only is your web site one of the most pleasant online Nigel, but your shots would have been great even if it were just one of the local gulls. It's a real pleasure to see fine tools in the hands of a master.

Michael,

You can't have Swinhoe's, Audouins AND Slender- billed Curlew, that would be too much. Where do you think you are - Norfolk :)

Darrell

Hi Ashley
I got a few reasonable images of the Swift just prior to it roosting at Sizewell, sadly not up to the Gull standard though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back