• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

STOP glaring at me! (1 Viewer)

Glare come in two types to me.

Veiling glare, light coming through trees in the line of vision, sort of a milky color cast over the entire image. (optical glass quality lacking/baffling of tubes?)

Distinct bright (line glare at the field stop), (edge of view) likely caused by improper baffling in the bino tube?.

Andy W.
That is a good explanation of the two types of glare I have seen.

Dennis,

I don't think anyone here would deny that there is a benefit from a large (7mm) exit pupil when the light levels are particularly low. That level would be many times lower than most would use for birding. Glare is a product of poor optical design. It's something that can often be ameliorate by an excessively large exit pupil. Does that means your SLC 8x56 is a 'glare monster; otherwise an 8x32 , or 8x30 would normally be quite adequate, as I seem to recall you have claimed in the past.:-O

David

Last edited:
If I had to say of the binoculars I have had I could group them into best, good, fair and poor as far as glare. Just glare, nothing else. Here is my list Typo. It is not ranked. What binoculars have you had that are very good at glare and which ones have been poor at glare.

1)BEST
Nikon 8x32 SE
Nikon 8x32 EDG
Nikon 10x42 MHG
Swarovski 8x56 SLC
Canon 10x42 IS-L

2)GOOD
Swarovski (2018) 8x30 CL
Swarovski 8.5 x42 SV
Swarovski 10x50 SV
Swarovski 8x25 CL-P
Zeiss Conquest 8x30 HD
Tract Toric HD 8x42
Maven B.2 9x45
Nikon 8x30 EII

3)FAIR
Swarovski 8x32 SV

4)POOR
Nikon 8x30 M7
Maven 8x30 B.3
Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W
Zen Ray 7x36 ED

Last edited:
I would also state that the EDGs do have very good flare suppression with the 10X being the best, and the 8X42 the lowest but still better than most. Meopta has also been a pleasant surprise here for me with the 7&8 X42 with their abilities. I would agree with the SE, both the 8 and 10X perform excellent.

Andy W.

I am using Henry's quote to answer Lee's question. He obviously didn't read it. It may not be an absolute fact but it is a possible explanation of why bigger aperture binoculars seem to have less glare than smaller ones.

Dennis,

I have to wonder if you actually read Henry's quote.

When I read Henry's comment, what I'm understanding is that large aperture is NOT the determining factor in reducing glare. In the quote that you've been re-posting ad nauseam, he is surmising that the difference between the entrance pupil of the eye in daylight, and the exit pupil of the eyepiece is doing the work. If that is the case, ANY binocular with an exit pupil of 7mm, when viewed in broad daylight should produce the same result. 7x42? The same glare free concept should apply.

-Bill

I would also state that the EDGs do have very good flare suppression with the 10X being the best, and the 8X42 the lowest but still better than most. Meopta has also been a pleasant surprise here for me with the 7&8 X42 with their abilities. I would agree with the SE, both the 8 and 10X perform excellent.

Andy W.
Thanks! That is the kind of positive feedback that is valuable to other members.:t:

If I had to say of the binoculars I have had I could group them into best, good, fair and poor as far as glare. Just glare, nothing else. Here is my list Typo. It is not ranked. What binoculars have you had that are very good at glare and which ones have been poor at glare.

1)BEST
Nikon 8x32 SE
Nikon 8x32 EDG
Nikon 10x42 MHG
Swarovski 8x56 SLC
Canon 10x42 IS-L

2)GOOD
Swarovski (2018) 8x30 CL
Swarovski 8.5 x42 SV
Swarovski 10x50 SV
Swarovski 8x25 CL-P
Zeiss Conquest 8x30 HD
Tract Toric HD 8x42
Maven B.2 9x45
Nikon 8x30 EII

3)FAIR
Swarovski 8x32 SV

4)POOR
Nikon 8x30 M7
Maven 8x30 B.3
Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W
Zen Ray 7x36 ED

Dennis,

I'm not sure you intended to, but you've rather proved my point.

Of course you have rather overlooked that models in your 'best' and 'good' categories than should be ranked only fair or even poor on sharpness. I also note you do not include any that I've tried that I would include amongst the best for colour. You've evidently not considered distortion or other aberrations like CA or astigmatism either.

I haven't tried every binocular on your list, but I have tried over 200 models and well over a 1000 separate samples.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis,

I'm not sure you intended to, but you've rather proved my point.

Of course you have rather overlooked that models in your 'best' and 'good' categories than should be ranked only fair or even poor on sharpness. I also note you do not include any that I've tried that I would include amongst the best for colour. You've evidently not considered distortion or other aberrations like CA or astigmatism either.

I haven't tried every binocular on your list, but I have tried over 200 models and well over a 1000 separate samples.

David
Sorry, Typo if that list is confusing but it is just for glare. That characteristic only. It doesn't take into account all the other things you are talking about.

I'm not convinced.
That really has nothing to do with trying to "pump them up" on Bird Forum and selling them for a profit. Often times when I purchased Swarovski's at a good price I was able to use them for a year or two and sometimes sell them for more than I bought them for because they retain their value. I think in 10 years on Bird Forum I have only sold one binocular to a member called Brockroller and that was a pair of Nikon 10x35 EII's and if you knew Brock EII's did not need any pumping up. He was already pumped up on them. I missed the old days. We mainly just argued about what binocular was best and it could get brutal.:king:

Last edited:
Brock had some great posts, and with great wit, some of those threads over the years were very appreciated by me, he should stop by and say hello.

Andy W.

Dennis,

I have to wonder if you actually read Henry's quote.

When I read Henry's comment, what I'm understanding is that large aperture is NOT the determining factor in reducing glare. In the quote that you've been re-posting ad nauseam, he is surmising that the difference between the entrance pupil of the eye in daylight, and the exit pupil of the eyepiece is doing the work. If that is the case, ANY binocular with an exit pupil of 7mm, when viewed in broad daylight should produce the same result. 7x42? The same glare free concept should apply.

-Bill
Your correct. All high exit pupil binoculars should have low aberrations and low glare but there are some exceptions like the Zeiss HT 8x54. It is largely due to the longer focal ratio. A 7x42 would be good with it's 6mm EP but not as good as a 7x50, 8x50 or 8x56 which all have larger exit pupils. A 12x50 or 15x56 would be worse. That is probably the reason so many people like the 7x42 format. Many people have also commented how clear and aberration free the 7x50 Fujinon FMTR-SX is and after having one I can confirm they are. With the 7x you have to be satisfied with 7x magnification and for me it too weak. I prefer 8x so to get the big aperture advantage you have to go to an 8x50 or 8x56. I don't know of any 8x50's but an 8x50 SV would be very nice and smaller and lighter.

Last edited:
I had an 8x50 Swarovski but it weighed 41 oz. It was beautiful to look through but I couldn't see myself carrying it anywhere. I would have never sold it had it maybe been 30 oz. and a better close focus than 19 ft. It was very easy to look through and had these really nice screw in eye cups. I don't think I ever once experienced glare in that binocular. If there was some it was too little to notice.

I had an 8x50 Swarovski but it weighed 41 oz. It was beautiful to look through but I couldn't see myself carrying it anywhere. I would have never sold it had it maybe been 30 oz. and a better close focus than 19 ft. It was very easy to look through and had these really nice screw in eye cups. I don't think I ever once experienced glare in that binocular. If there was some it was too little to notice.
What model of Swarovski was it?

Brock had some great posts, and with great wit, some of those threads over the years were very appreciated by me, he should stop by and say hello.

Andy W.
Brock could really be humorous. I remember he even composed some poems and songs. Quite an interesting dude. He loved his EII's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back