• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble bee in Bluetit nest box (1 Viewer)

Hello all
We have had the pleasure of a Bluetit nesting in our camera box this year (first time in five years!), however the box was invaded by a queen Bumble Bee. Big scrap between Bee and female Bluetit took place. Queen left, but came back and I haven't seen her since, but have a nasty feeling she may have nested in a corner of the box, as I can occasionally hear faint, intermittent buzzing and have seen at least one worker bee come in who was chased off by the Bluetit. The Bluetit is coming in and roosting every evening regardless. So my question is, can I/should I interfere in some way, or is it down to nature to decide, and what is the likely outcome?

Leave it be. There are plenty of Blue Tits and Blue Tit nesting boxes but Bumble Bees are suffering as are all Bees. I've got Bumble bees in one of my bird boxes and I'm happy to have them take over and enjoy watching there comings and goings.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I agree with Phil. I'd leave it all be.

Hi luckyoldme and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Yes, I agree with others... let them get on with it and enjoy the battle (if there is one that is)!!

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. Yep, I have left well alone and let nature take its course. In this instance the Blue Tit has won out after laying eggs there was a right old scrap and the Bumble Bee Queen appears to has gone. Maybe she will come back later, when the BTs have finished? Either way, I will put out a box specifically for Bees next year!

Last edited:
I will put out a box specifically for Bees next year!

That's an excellent idea luckyoldme!! Good luck to the Blue Tits, I hope they raise a successful brood.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back