• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Iceland (1 Viewer)

Edward

Umimmak
Iceland
Hi birders everywhere and greetings from a mild and windy Reykjavik!

I've been a passive follower of Bird Forum for some time and thought it's about time to get involved and send some bird news from Iceland. I'm originally from Manchester, England but have been living in Iceland for several years where I do the vast majority of my birding. I try to get to England at least once a year but there are still tons on birds there that I haven't seen yet.

I'm into most aspects of birding, patch watching, searching for the first migrants of spring and, against my better judgement, can easily be persuaded to go on lengthy and often doomed twitches but generally I stick to the Reykjavik area. We don't have the huge variety of birds in Iceland that some birders are lucky enough to have on their doorstep but many of the ones we do have are pretty special and we often get surprise visitors.

Look forward to joing the "club."

Welcome to Bird Forum, Edward.

You've obviously already had a good look around the site, so enough said.

Glad to have your membership and I look forward to your posts. They should make very interesting reading about the birds you have up there.

See you around.

Big HELLO and Welcome to the Forum Edward.

:t: :t: :t:

Iceland is definitely one of my Wannago places for all sorts of reasons.

Of course, I'm interested in the birds (want to catch sight of a Harlequin, particularly), whilst I also have this thing about snow.

My partner is interested in Geology, so she wants to visit as well - hope to get there someday. (In the meantime, if you could do somethng about the midges at Myvatn?!?!?)

I hope you've had a good time on your previous visits to BirdForum.

I very much look forward to your posts, and the Birding News from Iceland!!!

Hi Edward, and welcome to Bird Forum. I've never been to Iceland and don't expect I ever will so I'm hoping you'll be doing a lot of posting of photos of your birds and scenery. Welcome aboard!

Many thanks for the words of welcome!
Never say never Marysan. If you ever go to Europe, Iceland's on your way. And if you want Harlequins Birdman then they're easy to find between October and June and can be found at other times with a bit of looking. I'm afraid I can't do much about the midges at Lake Myvatn (lake in NE Iceland which is famous for its wildfowl and billions of blackfly). No blackfly, no ducks or fish. No ducks or fish, no Gyrfalcons or Great Northern Divers. No Gyrfalcons.... it doesn't bear thinking about.

Well, when you put it that way...

(I'll go and invest in a hermetically sealed suit!)

Cheers Dave

Although I'm not Icelandic, I am rather patriotic in terms of birding Iceland and it's therefore good to hear you had a good time. You won't come back from Iceland with a massive trip list but there are some good birds and brilliant scenery. Shame about the prices.

Hi Edward

What made you move to Iceland? Great to have a member there, and it will be fascinating to hear of the birds you see. Are you able to post any pix?

Who knows, one day we might even have a trip there. We'll have to call it IceBash!

Hi Edward and welcome to the forum.

Iceland is a definate must see, birds, glaciers, vulcanism and fantastic scenery.

Will be glad to read/see your reports.

Welcome to BF, Edward!

Only been to Iceland the once (actually twice, come to think of it!) stopping over on the way to and from the States! An amazing place!

B :)

Welcome Edward,
Hope you are a photographer and will send lots of pictures from that weird and wonderful place you live in.
Never mind, if you are not, as it will be facinating to read about Iceland instead.

Sorry I'll have to disappoint you with the requests for photos. I'm not a photographer but if I may suggest you look at this brilliant photographic portfolio by my friend Yann of the birds and sights of the Myvatn area and Birdman's favourite midges

www.hi.is/~yannk/1.html

Right. I'm off home to watch England take on the Aussies at football - well it's too dark to go birding!!

Edward, tell Yann that those are very good and enjoyable photos (not that he doesn't know that already!). They are appreciated.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back