• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short term voluntary work overseas (1 Viewer)

Pitta Patter

I would be interested in hearing about people's experiences of volunteer bird work overseas, good, bad or indifferent, especially any work regarding guiding, research or ringing and any recommendations. By short term I mean anything up to a month or so.

I don't know what the requirements are but Phd candidates, often have a 'field assistant'. Not sure if it's paid work or what, if any, qualifications are required, why not contact U.E.A who are one of the main providers of ecological degrees?

I volunteered with Museo de la Plata in Argentina in January/February 2017 for five weeks, here https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2763558.

Depends what you are expecting I suppose. I've done a bit of residential volunteering over the years (RSPB, BTCV, with uni's in Oz) so I'm quite happy with 'basic'. This was probably at the basic end of basic! I lost nearly 8kgs!! But I had a great time.

There were two projects running - I arrived too late in the season for the woodpecker project so was working on breeding success monitoring on Vermillion Flycatcher, Masked Gnatcatcher, Small-billed Elaenia and Blue and Yellow Tanager (even now I have to struggle to remember the names in English rather than Spanish!)
Lots of nest searching and tree climbing. Thankfully no safety inspections as the project would have been shut down straight away. You get used to climbing over electric fences through fields full of flighty cattle and / or horses. I only got mildly electrocuted towards the end of the trip when I got complacent.

The site was a rickety local bus ride from the nearest town Veronica, and then a short walk into the host estancia.

Accomodation in tents (bring your own tent). Early morning alarm calls courtesy of Grey-necked Wood-rail.
One of the semi abandoned farm buildings on the estancia had been converted to a basic kitchen / common room. Dried / tined food most of the time, a few bits of fresh fruit and veg. Basic toilet / shower in another room. Very basic. There was mains power. I only nearly got electrocuted in the shower once. En suite Barn Owls. Water from a bore next to the camp.

Early starts to get out in the field before it got too hot, a mid-day break to cook lunch and have a rest, then back out late afternoon until just before dark. Towards the end of my trip there was a lot of vegetation mapping once breeding had ramped right down. One rest day rostered each week.

Researchers and the owner of the estancia and her family were great. Think the farm staff just thought we were bonkers (although they were generally friendly too).

My main takeaway was that I REALLY should have learnt some Spanish. Some of the South American projects require it, this one didn't although they did say it would be useful to know some. In the end I learnt almost none and regretted it, would have been much easier if I had.

Would do it again - need to learn some more Spanish first!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back