• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Hovering" bird in shropshire uk (1 Viewer)

Loubeelaa

Driving down the country lanes by the wrekin in shropshire on my way to work this morning I saw a bird "hovering" the other side of a hedge in a field and I am sure it wasn't a kestrel. The way it was "hovering" was much more ungainly/clumsy than a kestrel, It was bigger than a kestrel but not as big as a buzzard and unfortunately I couldn't get any colours as the sun was behind it so it was basically in silhouette. I did think it may be a sparrowhawk but I have never seen them display this behaviour, and I am not sure if it was too big for a sparrowhawk????? Any ideas?

Driving down the country lanes by the wrekin in shropshire on my way to work this morning I saw a bird "hovering" the other side of a hedge in a field and I am sure it wasn't a kestrel. The way it was "hovering" was much more ungainly/clumsy than a kestrel, It was bigger than a kestrel but not as big as a buzzard and unfortunately I couldn't get any colours as the sun was behind it so it was basically in silhouette. I did think it may be a sparrowhawk but I have never seen them display this behaviour, and I am not sure if it was too big for a sparrowhawk????? Any ideas?

I have yet to see a Sparrowhawk hovering, but I have seen small male Common Buzzards hovering. Your description of ‘ ungainly/clumsy’ fits this species.

In the area there are Peregrine....most unlikely but. :eek!:

I think very high likelihood that this was a buzzard, and that the unusual observation conditions led to an error in estimating the size of the thing. We human beings are not good at estimating sizes.

Niels

Hi Andy,

I thought for one second there Ken that you were going to claim a hovering Goshawk!!!! :t:

If "hovering" refers to a bird sustaining active flight in a fixed position for a couple of seconds, I've seen a Goshawk do that.

But seeing the smiley you posted, you're maybe alluding to an earlier discussion I'm not aware of?

Regards,

Henning

Thanks for your answers guys.....I guess unless I see it again(unlikely I suspect) I will never know for sure! I will keep a look out ��

Thanks for your answers guys.....I guess unless I see it again(unlikely I suspect) I will never know for sure! I will keep a look out ��

Although you may never know for sure (and it's perhaps a good thing to not have to put a name to everything you see), the overwhelming likelihood is that it would be a Buzzard as opposed to anything else in the circumstances you describe (greater than 99% even)). The smallest Buzzards can be the size of a Carrion Crow, and with the wings drawn in as mentioned ...

;)

Just to update you all.....it was a Peregrine! I have seen it twice since and displaying the same behaviour, but on both occasions got a much better look at it and was able to positively identify.
��

Just to update you all.....it was a Peregrine! I have seen it twice since and displaying the same behaviour, but on both occasions got a much better look at it and was able to positively identify.
��

if you saw it twice hovering I can 100% assure that it was not a Peregrine which you might see hovering once in a lifetime for a fraction of a second

I think I've seen a Peregrine briefly "stand" in the air over a coastal cliff (incidentally, in Britain), but that was with outstretched wings, i.e. soaring. AFAIK the only European raptors that really hover in the common meaning of the term (with flapping wings) are kestrels, buzzards, and Short-toed Eagles. Of these, only Common Kestrel and Common Buzzard are likely at this time of year in that area...

��

Everyone has a smart phone these days (well, nearly everyone) so I take it you do too so if it's possible then would you be able to video the bird because this would be very helpful as well as very interesting for me and the members of this forum to witness too.

cheers :t:

if you saw it twice hovering I can 100% assure that it was not a Peregrine which you might see hovering once in a lifetime for a fraction of a second

As I was the one that saw it and not you Tom ......I can 100% assure you it was most definitely a peregrine!
And as Richie twitchy suggests I will try and video if I see again.....if only to prove you wrong Tom!!

I think I've seen a Peregrine briefly "stand" in the air over a coastal cliff (incidentally, in Britain), but that was with outstretched wings, i.e. soaring. AFAIK the only European raptors that really hover in the common meaning of the term (with flapping wings) are kestrels, buzzards, and Short-toed Eagles. Of these, only Common Kestrel and Common Buzzard are likely at this time of year in that area...

I think you will find that there are peregrine in this area...in fact there is a pair that nest right next to the Wrekin.....which is where I live ;)

Watch "Peregrine Falcon. Short hover and dive" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/K4LEt3w4oRA
If you watch this video on you tube the "hover" at the start is exactly what I saw but without the stoop.
I am positive it was a peregrine as I was close enough to see the markings and colours.

I think you will find that there are peregrine in this area...in fact there is a pair that nest right next to the Wrekin.....which is where I live ;)
That's not the point. You can potentially see Peregrines in a lot of places, given their range and mobility. Nor was I implying that you'd never seen one. I'm just not convinced that the particular individual you've described was one, since they don't hover with flapping wings.

Watch "Peregrine Falcon. Short hover and dive" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/K4LEt3w4oRA
If you watch this video on you tube the "hover" at the start is exactly what I saw but without the stoop.
That's not a Peregrine, it's a kestrel of some sort.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back