• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Just when I thought life couldn't possibly get more stessful my dream bird turns up mid-week and in March! That just taking the mick. Beginning prayer rituals in desperation it might stay till Saturday...

How do you think I'm feeling Connor! And I have a match on Saturday too :-C I was reduced to hoping it was a female, but no!

Poor jimmyg

"And I have a match on Saturday too"

You could have a sudden case of highly infectious Thrush, preventing you from being in close proximity with anyone not already immune.

Immunity is gained by having seen other Siberian birds fly away- Asian flew ? ! (Say it.)

How about me ? I got there yesterday after a 50 mile drive, usually behind cars going at 35 mph in a 60 limit, and 10 minutes after it went to roost. And it's less than 10 miles from my home.

Ah unlucky John! I have school for another two (nerve-wracking!) days! Somehow I don't think I'm going to be concentrating on schoolwork that much!

You could have a sudden case of highly infectious Thrush, preventing you from being in close proximity with anyone not already immune.

Immunity is gained by having seen other Siberian birds fly away- Asian flew ? ! (Say it.)
Sharp thinking! I was planning on perhaps making a mad dash to Norfolk after shooting, but it seems there may be no need... which is not the best of news for you - hard luck, I think not being able to go leaves you with a less distressing feeling than dipping.

First time in Norfolk

I spent part of last weekend birding on the Norfolk coast. Thoroughly enjoyed myself at Titchwell and Holkham. Other birders were very friendly and helpful which made my visit very special. Avocets Marsh Harriers and Cetti's Warbler were all lifers for me. Took some reasonable photos at Titchwell which is main interest.

Thanks to those folk on this thread who gave me good advice on where to stay and where to go etc.

Richard

Titchwell March 6th

Today's highlights

Black brant - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 showing well from Fen Hide
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Merlin - 1 hunting over saltmarsh
Avocet - 201 on brackish marsh

Yesterday - 2 common crane east @ 11:30

Paul

Just got back from work (yes, I do some!) and have posted this on the rare bird thread:

I can not argue that the hind claws were long (I have already said as such) and it is possible that this could be an indication of captive origin. However, taking into account the other aspects of the bird, particularly its behaviour, both in the enclosure (very much not happy and wanting to get out) and its behaviour in the field (where it took little time to find a feeding area suitable for a wild Siberian Thrush) I do not see this as damning. However, I think that research into all possibilities should be carried out (although the word 'fraudulent' is very interesting!)

Innocent until proven guilty, as someone put it to me!

15 Woodcock, 8 Marsh Tit, 1 Treecreeper, 2 Nuthatch, 2 Great-Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Lesser-Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Buzzards and 50+ Siskins on a walk round a local wood this morning.

Just back from a lovely two days in glorious sunshine.Saw the Shrike at Royden on Thursday so didn't have to drag my wife around the bog;) After lunch at Holme I was rewarded by being left at Titchwell while my wife did the galleries and shops along the coast. Great day and all the usual birds.
Friday was spent along the coast to Cley and Salthouse but no Snow Buntings. No Black Brant either or Bittern despite much searching.

As usual good birds and great folk.

Hugh

After a pleasant but unremarkable afternoon at Strumpshaw Fen today, things took a more exciting turn at about 5 o'clock when I was on my own in the Fen hide. I spotted a male Hen Harrier in the distance and watched it as it came closer and eventually flew straight at me, low over the reeds, and passed the side of the hide a few metres away. The Coots were thrown into panic. What a beautiful bird! I am still buzzing with excitement. I have only seen one before and that was very distant. This one was so close that I could see the details on its face as it scanned the ground below it. It was a shame there was nobody else there to share the experience with.

On the way back I stopped at the Reception, which was closed, and discovered a Chinese Water Deer right infront of the hide, contentedly grazing on Snowdrops.

The afternoon was finished off perfectly by a Song Thrush singing at full volume high up in a tree nearby as I removed my boots. A cracking afternoon and I will not forget that Hen Harrier for a long time.

Ron

Last edited:
Watched a Rough Legged Buzzard, Hen Harrier and Peregrine from a public footpath lined with a leylandi hedge just south of Wolverton Church with other birders at 3pm.

Old Hunstanton Church - goldfinches, greenfinches and long tailed tits in the churchyard and tufted ducks on the river. Also in the area found a heronry!

Went to Holme Bird Observatory late in the day - marsh harrier on the marsh and a massive gull roost at Thornham Channel.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

After an early morning trundle round Dersingham Bog Saturday (satisfying numbers of Crossbills still about), I was walking at Cats Bottom, Sandringham late morning when I was lucky enough to have the pale Rough-legged Buzzard fly overhead, before heading off in the West Newton direction.

Closest view I've had of it and what a cracking bird it is - quite a startlingly pale bird.

(And that first sentence is a notable first for me! How often can you get the words bog, cats bottom, lucky and rough-legged buzzard all in the same sentence?!)

Cheers,
Irene

I believe this Wednesday could see quite a few summer migrants arriving across the country. A High pressure stretching from France into Britain and largely Southerly winds is predicted...please correct me if my belief is wrong...I need practice on reading the weather!

You could well be correct there Mr Sim, I'll definitely be checking the East coast for the first few migrants on Wednesday and Thursday.
ps I know there has been a lot of discussion about internet weather sources but thought I'd mention that the BBC's website has improved some features and it seems it has been more of a 'true representation' of the weather than other websites in recent weeks.

Ben

Burrow Bird (NNT 1938) at Salthouse- spring has truly sprung

This is an alternative and local name for the Wheatear, the first of my spring having shown up on the Little Eye today.

Perhaps it could also be called 'Shingle Bird'- as it blends very well into the background, matching the pebbly colours perfectly.

The frog was on the path along Friary Hills this morning and, whilst not exactly a bird, was seen during birding !

There are two free-flying Snow Geese at Blakeney, giving the unwary heart a flutter.

Attachments

• P1060085#001.jpg
    P1060085#001.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 81
  • P1060076#001.jpg
    P1060076#001.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 37
I know there has been a lot of discussion about internet weather sources but thought I'd mention that the BBC's website has improved some features and it seems it has been more of a 'true representation' of the weather than other websites in recent weeks.

Ben

I have tried viewing pressure charts on the newly improved BBC website but havent been able to see them for 2 days...alright, its only early March, but can anyone recommend any sites with viewable pressure charts on them please?

Sim

ps. Very nice pic of the Wheatear John! Can't wait for my first summer migrants...

I have tried viewing pressure charts on the newly improved BBC website but havent been able to see them for 2 days...alright, its only early March, but can anyone recommend any sites with viewable pressure charts on them please?

I've been struggling with the 'improved' BBC weather site too - not a wind arrow in sight! Let's hope they iron out these missing and essential features soon.

I did find a way of getting at them. From the weather home page http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/ if you select Atlantic as opposed to British Isles, it will give you a Pressure option to click on and lo and behold, up pops a pressure chart.

Other sites with pressure charts include:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_latest_pressure.html
http://www.infomet.fcr.es/metoffice/mosaic.html
http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/pslv_frame.htm

And not pressure but wind on these!
http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/
http://xcweather.co.uk/

Have fun!

Irene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back