• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hungry bird swallows whole pike (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

A 14 inch pike would weigh about 15 - 16 ounces. Hardly a starter for a cormorant. They can get a pound to a pound-and-a half founder down, a different proposition altogether from a nice, streamlined pikelet, but it's a struggle.

Eels are good to watch too. They have a reverse gear and as the cormorant swallows them they keep reversing back out. By the time the bird finally gets it over the fish has been swallowed half a dozen times or more.

... and how long do they live inside the bird?

You wouldn't believe how powerful a cormorant's digestive acids are. I was on a boat last year and saw a cormorant devour a sizeable trout. Little more than a minute later, it was spooked by another boat and regurgitated the meal to make for a faster getaway.
We got a nice close look at the fish, and its head had been completely dissolved, beyond the neck there was nothing but a straggly yellow mess.

You wouldn't believe how powerful a cormorant's digestive acids are. I was on a boat last year and saw a cormorant devour a sizeable trout. Little more than a minute later, it was spooked by another boat and regurgitated the meal to make for a faster getaway.
We got a nice close look at the fish, and its head had been completely dissolved, beyond the neck there was nothing but a straggly yellow mess.

I wish I hadn't asked now. I was about to go and get my Chinese takeaway but I think I might just wait a minute.:eat:

Ron

Oh to be in the right place at the right time, or not if you were the pike !

slightly off at a tangent but did anyone else see that snake swallowing the whole deer ? I think it was on Life In Cold Blood (but i may be wrong)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back