• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yemen, Aden, Brown bird in the garden (1 Viewer)

Zangazanga

Today I noticed a bird I have not seen here before. I guess it must be a flycatcher, so perhaps a Spotted Flycatcher or Gambaga Flycatcher. It was pretty good fit for either of those. Pretty good, but at least according to the illustration I have in Porter & Aspinall Birds of the Middle East, not perfect. I noticed striping on its crown, so that sugestted Spotted Flycatcher, but it had a distinct pale eye-ring, so I am not sure how to use that. As well, although not a clear point, it seemed sometimes that it may have had some yellow in the lores in front of its eye, and that is not matching with either posibility. If anyone can assist me with identification I will be very pleased.

Attachments

• flycatcher.jpg
    flycatcher.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Gambanga.jpg
    Gambanga.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 82
I think it's more likely to have been a Spotted Flycatcher, although the images are not good enough to say for sure. It's the wrong area and habitat for Gambaga unless it was on passage. If you say you saw streaking on the crown, it sounds more like Spotted. There's also a slight malar, again better for Spotted, I'd say.

Thank you very much Andy. With your inputs I am pretty well settled on Spotted Flycatcher. (The photos are made trying to find the bird with my mobile phone through my small binococulars. That is the best system I can use right now, as it seems that supervisors have reservations about people arriving at posts located in countries with active wars ongoing and trying to pass through customs carrying long telephoto lenses "to photograph birds".) I saw the bird this morning again, so perhaps it may stay around for a while. I guess that would also be another point for Spotted rather than Gambaga.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back