• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 longetivity and a backup pair (1 Viewer)

MindWarp

Hello, I'm a long time lurker to this board, and just registered so hello world!

Cutting to the chase, I recently replaced my Bushnell Infinity with a Monarch 7x 8x30. I wanted a more lighter and more modern piece of glass.

This bino is optically very nice. Maybe some glare in sub-optimal conditions but nothing to write home about, definitely much more brighter and sharper than the 8.5x45 Infinity!

However, having used these daily for a full month I've had some concerns raise about the longetivity and overall ruggedness of the bino.
Especially the rubber armoring and the plasticy eyecups, which require re-adjusting on a regular basis.

So I was wondering, since this bino has been around for several years now, how are yours holding up?

I was also thinking of getting a backup pair of similar quality. Maybe a 8x42 Hawke Fronter ED-X as it seems to be a rather compact for a x42 glass and of a rugged construction! Maybe I'm just overly concerned that the Monarch is going to spontaneously combust when I'm hiking, that's an excuse to get another pair alright..

Anyways, Happy New Year Everybody! And even more enjoyable birding experiences.

Hi - and welcome to the forum. |:d|
I've had my Monarch 7s for over 18 months now. They get regular use most lunchtimes when I go for a walk at work, and they are also my default hiking binoculars (light, compact). I carry mine in a padded bag when I'm not wearing them around my neck. So far, I've had zero issues with mine - I just clean the lenses when they need it, and I wipe over the exterior armour with a clean moist cloth and they come up almost like new. There's nothing about the way they've held up so far that makes me feel that they won't last for years and years. Sure, they're not as solid feeling as my Swarovski bins, but given the price difference...;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back